Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Resistor load for turn signal

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:33 am

I just installed LED turn signals. But they "hyper" flash. I was told to install 50W 6ohm resistors on the live and ground wires.
Can someone point me to a good reference page on how to properly attach a load resistor to my turn signals?
THX
bad venge

Post Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:44 am

One should be PLENTY just cut the + and splice it inline
Some just leave the bulb in place to act as a load just tuck it away in a corner
Cooper

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:11 am

For $15 you can pick up a replacement flasher relay on Autolumination.com that will solve the hyperflashing without resorting to load equalizers or other stop-gap measures .

Something to consider.. its not significantly more work than splicing resistors into your wires, and costs under $20 . If you leave your bulbs in or add resistance you're eliminating one of the benefits of having LED replacements: having a high efficiency light source with less current draw .
xracer000

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:04 am

Right now I am using LEDs in the fromt but regular bulbs in the rear (for now). Will the LED flasher work properly with a mixture of LEDs and bulbs at the same time?
Also, I now need to find out which one I would need!
Thanks for the info.
bad venge

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:21 am

find flasher relay and get model number off of it , they don't have every relay available...
I asumed that was why you needed load resistors
Cooper

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:16 pm

xracer000 wrote:
Right now I am using LEDs in the fromt but regular bulbs in the rear (for now). Will the LED flasher work properly with a mixture of LEDs and bulbs at the same time?
Also, I now need to find out which one I would need!
Thanks for the info.

I'm not an expert on the subject but it's my understanding that the new relays trigger the signals at one solid rate regardless of the resistance, so any blend of incandescent bulbs and LEDs would work .

Also, some stock relays will return to normal flashing if you switch all four turn signal bulbs to LEDs; I'm assuming it has something to do with the resistance on all the bulbs being equal?
This is certainly not true of all stock relays though, I've had it work for me before but I have no idea how common it is .
xracer000

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:32 am

I am planning on getting the rear bulbs changed soon, so maybe I will hold off until I have all the LEDs installed before i get a new relay. Thanks for the help guys.
alienyoungjr

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:34 pm

Do what I did,
Search autozone.com for your flasher relay for the model number, or even your vehicle manufactuers website.
Then search for a load desensitive flasher relay.
I found mine at autolumination.com
I just swapped the new one in, and bam! no more fast flash. back to normal.
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 9:47 pm
Page 1 of 1