Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

DIY - Headlight Restoration

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:49 pm

We spend all this time adding stuff to our rides that sometimes we overlook what's already there... So today, I decided to restore my headlights! Along the way, I took pictures, so I'm made this handy-dandy DIY to contribute to the forum (I didn't see one with pics, at least).

Without further ado:

Materials you will need to do a proper restoration:
REQUIRED:
A power drill you can use as a buffer (1000+ RPM is good) (borrow one from a friend if you need to)
- Don't forget an extension cord if you need one! I needed TWO!
Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit ($24.99)
2" Blue painter's tape ($10.99)
2000 Grit Wet Or Dry Sandpaper ($4.99)
A bucket of clean water
An hour of time

Optional:
A big sponge (makes it easier to wetsand, keeps the sandpaper from getting defunked, & saves your fingers some ache and pain)
An iPod or other entertainment (to pass the time while you degrime :J )

All materials
(Excuse the pecan tree tassels, I live in TX, these things are all over the place right now)
User posted image

1000+ RPM Drill (Mine has a cord, yours may not)
User posted image

Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit
User posted image

3M 2000 grit WETORDRY Sandpaper
User posted image

The rest is common sense, so refer to the first pic above, I just wanted everyone to see specifics.

So first we have our car:
User posted image

Notice the yellowing?
User posted image

Up close it's IN YOUR FACE!
User posted image

Disgusting
User posted image

So now we begin fixing it...
First, mask off the area around the headlight so you can go hogwild with your sanding and not worry about removing your paint's clear

Like so:
User posted image
(This was my devirginizing experience with painter's tape, and I got tape happy... In retrospect, this much really isn't necessary)
**TIP: If you just lay the tape down on the areas around the lens, it'll come up when you're wetsanding.
To help prevent this, lay the tape sticky-side-up on the headlight, then slide it about a quarter inch under the painted area, then fold over.

Wet your sponge and wipe your headlight free of any dirt, droppings, and other debris. Once it's "clean", proceed!

Next, you'll want to take a sheet of the wetsand paper and wrap it longways across your sponge.
User posted image

Keeping the two together, dip them in your bucket of water:
User posted image

Now, applying gentle, constant pressure, give your headlight a good wetsanding.
User posted image
**NOTE: Gentle pressure is all that's needed. Think of it like rubbing your friend's back when their face-first in the toilet after a night of heavy drinking.
**NOTE: Also, you can wetsand in any direction you want. I did long-ways down the lens (vertically) and then did a waxing motion. The result will be the same.

You'll notice that the water dripping down is really cloudy:
User posted image
This is good. It's a sign that the headlight is still dirty, and you're making progress!

When there's no more water coming out of the sponge, it's time to get more water!
User posted image
**NOTE: It's important you keep this a WET sanding process. It helps the paper glide, and eventually you'll feel like there's no more "rough" feeling to the sanding process, which is when you can stop and proceed to the next step.

After a while, you'll feel the "roughness" of the headlight disappear, and when you run your wet sponge over the headlight, it looks really clear:
User posted image

Good! We're almost done! Here's a comparison for where we stand so far:
User posted image

"WTF! My headlight's getting foggy!"
User posted image

"DUDE WTF! IT'S EVEN WORSE NOW!!"
User posted image

Sorry, friends. I led you here to LOL in your face.

THE END!

No actually, this is where we use the good stuff... Meguair's Headlight Restoration Kit:
User posted image
**EASTER EGG: 03/04 Sedan owners will find a familiar image on the back of the box ;J

Inside your MHRK, you will find the following:
A buffer pad for your drill.
A washable Microfiber towel
and Meguair's PlastX (this is how the magic happens)

**WARNING: Before continuing, I have to stress to you it's VERY important that you not contaminate your buffer pad or your microfiber towel with any debris at this point, or you're gonna pineapple the blueberry out of your headlight.

User posted image
**NOTE: Sponge not included, that's MY SPONGE! GET YOUR OWN!

Load and secure the buffer pad into your drill:
User posted image

Apply a nickel to quarter sized amount of PlastX directly onto the buffer pad:
User posted image
**NOTE: DO NOT BUFF WITH A NICKEL ATTACHED, READ ABOVE WARNING! Nickel was just for reference.

Prior to turning it on, apply the buffer to the headlight... Unless you like creamy white stuff all over your face.
User posted image

Make like Schwarzenegger and buff up! Use a sweeping motion across your headlight. If you run out of PlastX on the buffer, apply more PlastX and continue.
User posted image
**TIP #1: You want to buff at a slight angle, so you don't lose control of your drill.
**WARNING: Don't use the EDGE of the buffer or you'll pineapple the blueberry out of the headlight!
**TIP #2: You don't need, or even want, to apply more than light pressure. Get the PlastX on there, and use the buffer to apply it across the headlight.
**TIP #3: The faster your drill spins, the better the buff.

If this is the first time you're restoring a headlight, take some time to pick your jaw off the floor.
User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! Don't forget about this little guy:
User posted image
He needs loving, too.

BUT WATCH OUT!:
User posted image

Now give it some good ol' fashioned elbow grease, applying a moderate pressure to your hand buffing.
User posted image

Now you need to repeat these processes to the other headlight, remove the tape, and admire:
User posted image

Damn tassels! Lastly, wash your car because even if you don't have tassels like I do, it still looks like your car was crying like a little *****.

Here's some before and after side-by-side's for your viewing pleasure. Please note, these don't do the headlights justice... They look brand new. So new, in fact, that from some angles, it looks like I completely removed the plastic part I just got finished cleaning.
User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

Hope this helps you all out! - Mark
RADRaze2KX

Post Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:50 pm

I'm a member of a ton of other car forums, too, so this DIY is going up in multiple places. Just in case anybody's asking if I jacked it from somewhere.
bad venge

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:21 am

Good How to ...
I'd like to add a few things get heavy plastic and drape it around the headlight then secure it with the blue painters tape , it's extra protection when you are wetsanding and protects the paint if you get a little over zealous during the sanding and protects the paint if the drill slips.

Also after all that hard work I'd throw a good coat of wax on to protect the headlights from further damage
Tat2Dragons

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:57 am

Great job and entertaining read.

I've restored multiple headlights using various methods/products and it's always nice to see others techniques and final results. Thanks for sharing.icon_cool.gif
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:10 pm
Page 1 of 1