Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Every State

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:57 am

So, underbody. Every state says it is illegal. Well....to a certain extent. Look at semi's, they have their lights on pointing outward on the side. Well so do i.

User posted image

White/Amber in front is legal to drive with.

AMBER ONLY on the sides are legal to drive with.

RED ONLY in the BACK is legal to drive with.

For any cop who feels otherwise, ask them why semi's don't get pulled over, of course in a respectful manner.

I live in wisconsin, I printed the statutes for the law concerning underglow. It is considered an auxiliary lamp. This lamp must not exceed 10 watts (well 1000 led's = 1 watt so have fun). The lamp must be on separate circuit (circuit is a fused line that has a trigger shut off such as a switch). Lamps must consists of certain colors which I mentioned above. lamp must face outward from a car. 45 degrees or less from the side of your car is outward from what a Judge told me.

That is what Wisconsin law says without all the mumbo jumbo bs. Most states are similar. Illinois tried stopping me and I informed them what is what, still got a ticket, but was dropped in court because i looked up their statues. Everything is always online. Just do research, look it up and PRINT IT OUT to Keep it with you. [/img]
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:23 am

So. Im just going to guess that is an ICELED underglow.

The only thing I could see them ticketing you for, is the "White" in the front. If its anything like my kit, it had a strong pinkish color whenever it was white.
jmoddes

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:44 pm

the kit I had before this I had amber in the front. Amber in front is also legal. I'm going to try to find an old picture quick to show you.
daven75

Post Sat May 21, 2011 9:04 am

it almost does look pinkish in the pics, BUT he could also play it off that its just a reflection from his car lol
A-Ray

Post Sat May 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Actually, in every state it is not, not legal. Every TN cop I have spoken too has merely stated that so long as the source is hidden and nothing is flashing/flickering, then an underbody is legal. Doesn't matter what color you have it on either.
jmoddes

Post Fri May 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Okay. Important Update
I got pulled over for the first time with under glow. The officer told me he WAS going to write me a ticket. On the way to his car, he stopped came back and asked if I could turn the lights off. I responded asking him if he could double check the statute on auxiliary lamps for the State of Wisconsin. It helped that I had the print out the statute where he could look up the number and not spend time on it. Because I asked him (will extreme politeness because face it, i'm 20 and I have under glow.. not the best combination) he came back and said *quote* "I'm actually sorry for the inconvience but you are absolutely correct. Having
White in front, amber on the side and red in the back is absolutely within your citizen rights." What I have is Wisconsin law statues. I also am posting below Illinois and Indiana. If you need help let me know and I'll try to find your states laws. =] enjoy driving legal. @wereworfI think this does not apply for you however.. lol

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/Statutes/Stat0347.pdf Wisconsin Law: #347.05 (2)

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=062500050HCh%2E+12&ActID=1815&ChapAct=625%A0ILCS%A05%2F&ChapterID=49&ChapterName=VEHICLES&SectionID=28705&SeqStart=120700000&SeqEnd=131800000&ActName=Illinois+Vehicle+Code%2E Illinois Law: Chapter 12, Article 2; Sec. 12‑207 (a) (b) & (c)

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar19/ch6.html Indiana Law: IC 9-19-6-8

Three states all saying

White or Amber in front

Amber on sides

Red in Rear[/url]
FooFoo502

Post Fri May 27, 2011 9:56 pm

As a 15 year former cop in Florida, part of that being a Sgt in command of an interstate interdiction unit, I can tell you that underglow here is perfectly legal as long as is does not include a steady or flashing red or blue light or any combination there of. And trust me, knowing the traffic laws is an integral part of interdiction. The concept that targeting individuals then applying laws selectively to stop them does not work. Equal enforcement across all driver types, young old, every race, etc does. My two biggest seizures were $1.3 million in cash from a retired, white couple in a camper and $800k along with numerous select fire weapons and explosives bound for the border, from two college age kids in a Uhaul...just being 20 with underglow wouldn't be the issue down here. Of course, there are douche cops out there (mostly traffic cops to be honest) who make it tougher for the rest of us to do our jobs....and alot of those tend to be from up North..LOL
stevenb913

Post Fri May 27, 2011 11:36 pm

i ended up taking my WHITE underglow off my car. even though its legal, i got pulled over numerous times and never got a ticket or warning. its all just a hassle.
jmoddes

Post Fri May 27, 2011 11:54 pm

stevenb913 wrote:
i ended up taking my WHITE underglow off my car. even though its legal, i got pulled over numerous times and never got a ticket or warning. its all just a hassle.

I don't mind ever. As long as I have the time. =]
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:31 pm
Page 1 of 1