Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

LED Puddle Lights

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon May 09, 2011 7:03 pm

I want to install puddle lights using LED strips. Could anyone help me with the installation process. I want the lights to turn on when I open the door and when I unlock the car. I want it to turn off when you lock it and close the doors.
I just need help on the wiring/powering. I want to know if you can still you the ATC Fuse Holder. Or if anyone know another way of hooking it up.
Thanks
bad venge

Post Mon May 09, 2011 7:11 pm

If they are UNDER the door you can't see them when you unlock the doors...

It's probably easier to just wire it to the dome lights then when you open the doors they come on and when you close them they shut off ...
you will have to pull power from the domes to both doors and connect to a ground in the door
Cooper

Post Mon May 09, 2011 8:50 pm

This raises an interesting question ...

I've always understood the term puddle lights to mean not one long strip of light or a big field of light like you'd expect from an LED strip, but individual 'puddles' of light that you get from installing separate LEDs spaced out a bit .

Have I been wrong ? Is a puddle light just a light that's right there under your door to show you if there's a puddle you'll be stepping in ? How did this not occur to me before ? icon_neutral.gif
bad venge

Post Tue May 10, 2011 3:40 am

Correct I've seen them done either way ....
My Mini Cooper has them individually and they are spaced out to leave small puddles of light

I've seen others run strips along the bottom of the doors to give a "line" of light
Tat2Dragons

Post Tue May 10, 2011 7:24 am

bad venge wrote:
Correct I've seen them done either way ....
My Mini Cooper has them individually and they are spaced out to leave small puddles of light
I've seen others run strips along the bottom of the doors to give a "line" of light
Yeah me too and I actually like the look of both styles.
Well technically not a puddle light setup, since you need to actually open the doors, here's my under the door setup.
Oh and please excuse my craptastic pictures.icon_lol.gif

^^Eventually I plan to add custom mounted white l.e.d.s underneath my mirrors for a more useful puddle light setup.
icon_cool.gif
Cobian88

Post Tue May 10, 2011 5:36 pm

A lot of cars have stock puddle light. Some are on the bottom of the inside of the door. Also lights under the side mirrors. BMW's have lights under the door handles.
I want the lights to look like this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www....p;ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0

@bad venge
how would you connect it to the dome lights? is there a wire that is close to the door?..
idk if that makes sense.. but just to find a simple way of installing it
bad venge

Post Tue May 10, 2011 7:36 pm

Well since you don't state WHAT CAR you have hard to say , look at the footwell lights as they are normally closest to the doors.
You can pull the power from there if it's a switched positive
Or you might have to pull power to the door and use the door pin switch as the nagative
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:21 am
Page 1 of 1