Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Thinking about goin to school for CNC operator

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed May 25, 2011 2:51 pm

So I am thinking about going back to school. This is a position that I always thought was pretty cool and there always seems to be listings on CL and the local job site for with good pay. Does anyone here currently operate a CNC or have any info on it? Where did you go to school and what classes did you take?

Any info is appreciated.
A-Ray

Post Wed May 25, 2011 3:08 pm

I can't help you out any, but I would like to comment anyways. Can't you **** find a job and stay happy with it! icon_biggrin.gif
kornholio788

Post Wed May 25, 2011 3:09 pm

I got laid off from the last one. Loved it. Went into recievership about a month ago and they did a ton of cuts. Kinda saw it coming as I was the youngest and last hired.
corvettecrazy

Post Wed May 25, 2011 3:30 pm

I have programmed and operated them in the past. Unless you are creating the toolpaths and doing all the setups and such, operating a CNC is very boring. Put raw stock in, press go, wait, remove machined part. Repeat.
Chris

Post Wed May 25, 2011 5:44 pm

The few people I know loved it...for about 3 months.

You'll notice people go from job to job with CNC
pOrk

Post Wed May 25, 2011 7:14 pm

Notice a trend Dan? Seriously dude this job sucks, the guys that run these out by me seem to be hours away from blowing their brains all over the ceiling.

Besides I thought you didn't want a factory job? If you want a factory job that you can use your head and make money, apply for a Brake Press Operator. I've been doing it less then 4 years and made it over 17/hr without shop hopping
kornholio788

Post Wed May 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Indeed I do. I appreciate the info. I'm ok with a factory job as long as it isn't a **** like the metal stamping factory was. Place was awful.

And thanks for the tip.
A-Ray

Post Wed May 25, 2011 7:35 pm

My advice is to find something that you enjoy doing and go for it full force, whether that requires going back to school or doing some type of training. Also, keep in mind that thing will work out for the best in the end.

Ever since HS, I've wanted to be draftsman of some type. I went to the community college and got my associates, then decided to take some time off from school to save money so I could go back to school. I ended up getting a full time job for drafting and took more time off from school because at the time, the money and experience meant more than the schooling. After that job, i couldn't get back into the drafting field, so I job hopped for a bit (FedEX, Kroger, Autozone), decided to go back to school (Bachelors in Construction Management), and just recently landed a a drafting job, that could turn into a career.
bad venge

Post Wed May 25, 2011 9:24 pm

CNC unless you work for a custom shop building one offs is a terrrible job as mentioned before ...
Look into CNC machine Service/Repair theres a big need around here and start in the $25/$35 range.
Either that or plant mainteance and repair , or try to get in the electrical union , 5 year apprenticeship and $35/$45 for an electrician
wolf36

Post Wed May 25, 2011 9:45 pm

A-Ray, how did you get a job drafting??? Over here in CA all those jobs seem to have been outsourced to other countries or done by interns. You have to be a full on Architect to make a living.
A-Ray

Post Thu May 26, 2011 5:28 am

wolf36 wrote:
A-Ray, how did you get a job drafting??? Over here in CA all those jobs seem to have been outsourced to other countries or done by interns. You have to be a full on Architect to make a living.

This one came from a personal connection. But I'm actually working for a small company, only 7 in the office daily, plus installers that work outside the office. They wanted someone in house that could draw their plans. We specalize in video conferencing, more specifically, tele-health.
KrzysD

Post Thu May 26, 2011 7:19 pm

FYI its a stressful job if you are the programmer and operator, sometimes boring if you have many of the same parts to make without a bar feeder, and only being the operator.

I'm learning this right now http://www.inventorcam.com/ makes g-coding faster, and virtual simulation makes everything a lot less stressful.
The time now is Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:54 pm
Page 1 of 1