Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Heat around my Ribbon LED strip

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:36 pm

Does anyone know if the LED ribbon strip will stand up to the heat produced from the radiator on my bike? Has anyone ever put strips in front of their radiator?
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:02 am

It depends how close it is. A couple inches away, my guess is it would be OK.

Could always use something like this:
https://www.oznium.com/linear-lights/smd-bar
(Really durable, in aluminum housing)
icutwo

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:46 pm

What does SMD stand for? I'm using aluminum to attach my light strip too, but didn't know about the heat being too much for the ribbon strip. What type warranty do I have that the strips will continue to work? I don't need them to go out a few months after I install them.
Should I install, something, between the light strip and the aluminum to disburst the heat build up in the aluminum?
I just ordered 2 Red, 2 White, and 2 Blue light strips. I hope all your answers are positive.
Thanks,
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:58 pm

SMD= Surface mount diode
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:12 am

Thank you for the order.

You probably noticed that the 1 foot blue is currently on backorder.

If your project is time sensitive, I'd like to suggest you consider switching the 2 pieces of x 1 foot blue to 1 piece of 2 foot blue. You're welcome to cut between every third LED. We also have 6 inch blue in stock. https://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips/thin-waterproof-ribbon

Alternatively, you may consider the other product I recommend which is more durable since it doesn't use a thin flexible circuit board, and it is housed in a rigid aluminum channel. You're also welcome to cut between every third LED. If your project requires a flexible strip, then of course the rigid strip won't work. The link to this product again: https://www.oznium.com/linear-lights/smd-bar

Will keep your order on backorder unless you advise us to make a change.
icutwo

Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Ok, I see what you mean. Is it too late to change my order? If it's not can you do it for me?
I can take a two foot piece of cool white, a two foot piece of red, and a two foot piece of blue. Then I can cut them in half and I'll have all I'll need. Let me know if I need to call or do anything else.

Thanks,
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:58 am

Your order has been updated and it will ship on Monday. The total has gone from $85.14 to $79.17. No further action is required.
icutwo

Post Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks,
When I get them installed, I'll send you a before and after picture. The ones I have on now keep going out!!
icutwo

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:16 pm

Got my lights in 3 days after you shipped them. That's fast, only one problem, I was under the impression you were going to send the ridged ones since they were more durable. I see now that I was wrong, but you talked me into getting the ridged ones and I really believe they would work best. I need to return these and have you ship the ridged ones with the bar as you suggested. Do I need a RMA number or can I just send them back? If I just need to send them back, I can have them in the mail tomorrow morning. I'll be waiting for your reply.

Also, how soon can you ship the 2 ft ridged ones with the bar?

Thanks,
Sorry about the mistake.
Larry,
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Hey Larry,

Kindly go into the My Account section, (or click the link from your original email confirmation), and proceed to setup the return for a refund.

You're welcome to then order the new ones whenever you're ready. You can order them now, or wait until we refund you for the first ones - totally up to you. We can ship as soon as Thursday morning if you order now.
icutwo

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Ok, just sent in the new order, but looks like I'll still have to wait two weeks because you are out of stock on the Blue. Just to be sure, I need 1 each, cool white bar strip, red bar strip, and blue bars strip all 20" long. Just wait and sent them all at the same time because once I tear my Trike down to install them I don't want to tear it down twice.

Thanks for your help.

Larry,
icutwo

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:44 pm

I now have Red, White, and Blue LEDs in the grille of my Goldwing. The White LEDs keep going out every month. The Chinese Manufactor has sent several replacements, but he has some problems with his lights!! Wouldn't buy from that company again!!!!! Will the SMDs last longer? I have a 3' strip of cool white SMDs in the back under my trunk and they can be seen for over a mile. Wish I could have put the SMDs underneath my trike. Just hope I don't have trouble with my new SMDs going out.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:24 am

Yes the SMD's will indeed last a long time.
icutwo

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:41 pm

Has it been two weeks yet? I was hoping the lights would be here by now. Bunch of parades coming up and I hate to turn on my now lights with part of them not burning. By the way, the Company with the bad lights was "Hero". I would advise anyone NOT to buy any lights from them. They won't work long, no guarantee and you won't get your money back.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:05 pm

The backordered blue SMD bars are expected to come into our warehouse perhaps sometime next week. Still no guarantees though.
icutwo

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:16 pm

icon_sad.gif icon_sad.gif
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:58 pm

cerwin.gif
jmoddes

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:07 pm

I had led strips running next to my exhaust, as well as under the hood around the batter (next to engine) and they were fine. Still work. I have them laying around waiting to be used again =]
icutwo

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:03 pm

Glad to hear someone has used them in a hot area. I will be using mine in front of my radiator. The ones I have there now only last a month if I'm lucky. They have been replaces many times. I first though it might be was because of the heat, but later learned it was because of cheap chineese products. I've planned to use SMDs with the alunimum bars now instead of LEDs. It takes several hours to replace these lights so I'm glad to hear these lights hold up better.
Now I'm just waiting to get the lights. Was hoping they would be in last week, but they will be here when they get here. Some things you can't rush.
icutwo

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:03 pm

I see my lights have been shipped. This is great. My other light are nearly out and look so bad I didn't turn them on tonight. I'm just worried about the trained dolphin that packed them. Ha

Looking forward to receiving them.
icutwo

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:27 pm

Lights are in and are installed. Yes someone was right. They are much brighter than the LEDs. Installation was a little harder due to the short pigtail and me not getting plug-in connections. Wish I had gotten the bright white instead of the cool white, but they still light-up the side of the road and the red, white, and blue combination really turned heads tonight!! The bar lights were just what I needed for my installation. That part went very smooth. Other than the work-around for the short pig-tails, these lights are great. Now if they will just continue to operate I'll be very happy after I've spent 5 hours installing them.

Thanks. I'll send a picture when we slow down riding this week.
icutwo

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Ok, I've had the new SMDs in since June. My Red lights are going out already. Hope the warranty on these aren't like the ones I took off, good waranty as long as they are working but when they go out, the warranty stops. So far, I've only had one red strip go out.

How dp I swrink a picture down small enough to post?
jmoddes

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:29 pm

tinypic.com... or just upload the pic and it resizes itself because phil is just that smart.
icutwo

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:49 pm

Hey, fast come back, thanks. I wanted to post a pic of my Trike, now I'm wondering if he wants to see a pic of my burned out lights. Here's to another 2 hours of changing out lights!

Thanks for the info.
jmoddes

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:51 pm

icutwo wrote:
Hey, fast come back, thanks. I wanted to post a pic of my Trike, now I'm wondering if he wants to see a pic of my burned out lights. Here's to another 2 hours of changing out lights!

Thanks for the info.

Oznium is really good about warranty. As in, one of the best when it comes to online purchase. You should have no issues. For evidence, just snap a few photos and show them. Don't get too irritated at it. L.E.D.'s are still being enhanced. I guarantee that in 5 years, we will laugh at what we are using right now.

and always remember, patience is virtue. When you get a warranty replacement or when you buy, ask for extra large packaging, that way there is less of a change of having a connection be lost from stuffed packaging.
icutwo

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:37 pm

I wrote Oznium about my red lights going out, but I haven't heeard anything from them except that my email was in their que, whatever that is. Think I need to write them again? The 3/4 lights that went out have come back on. This is a sign more are going out.
jmoddes

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:34 am

icutwo wrote:
I wrote Oznium about my red lights going out, but I haven't heeard anything from them except that my email was in their que, whatever that is. Think I need to write them again? The 3/4 lights that went out have come back on. This is a sign more are going out.

okay, If i were you I'd either call them or if you have time go to their main site. If one of the employees is on the site, you'll be able to talk to them. At the bottom right of the screen you'll see a little IM box. (AGAIN, when they are online). It would still be nice to see a picture. I have several of those strips and I haven't had them go out but all it takes is a sudden bend to rip off the solder connection.

866-332-6411

press the number for customer service.... I will hint to you be RESPECTFUL.
bad venge

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:32 am

I'd almost bet that they are too close or recieving too much heat causing the solder to melt or crack
icutwo

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:34 pm

First, I've always been RESPECTFUL!! Never had a reason not to be. That statement was a shock to my system.

I really don't think it was a bend that cased the problem because I have the SMDs on a bar. First time I've ever seen these before and they fit my application perfect. I'm thinking it was the heat, that's why I first wrote and ask if heat would effect my lights. If heat is the problem, I'll probably have to forget about lights in that location. Which means, forget about lighting the Red, White, and Blue. I got to post a picture so you can see what I'm doing with the lights. To start with, I didn't know how much heat was too much, which is why I started this post. I also understand sometimes lights just go out and sometimes heat can un-solder the connections, that's why I first wrote to ask questions.
jmoddes

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:07 pm

only reason i post that... there are a lot of people who are complete ass wholes it was no directed meaning towards you.... i don't know you so i might as well say it... but in any customer service setting (i'm in retail) the nicer you go to the employee, the more they will work with you.

I wish I knew a bit more about it... and also for **** and giggles, use a laser heat measure thing to read how hot it gets where you have the solder points. only say this because for all we know, for your bar, it could be just over the melting point for the particular solder that was used.
icutwo

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:25 pm

Well, Try to figure how hot a soldier iron gets, substract about 47 degrees and that should be pretty close. First, different soldiers have different melting points. We really need to know the type solder used, but I'm thinking, does it really get hot enough to melt the solder joints? Since you brought up that subject, I'm going to try to find a way of measuring the temp where the lights are. I can assure you that it won't get done this week-end. It's cool outside and we're riding day and night on week-ends with several different groups.
icutwo

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:45 pm

Ever see any Amber LEDs lights at this site?
bad venge

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:07 am

Amber = Yellow icon_wink.gif
I know they have them in the 4 chip superflux and the superbrights ,
I have a roll of them in flex strip as well
jmoddes

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:40 am

icutwo wrote:
Well, Try to figure how hot a soldier iron gets, substract about 47 degrees and that should be pretty close. First, different soldiers have different melting points. We really need to know the type solder used, but I'm thinking, does it really get hot enough to melt the solder joints? Since you brought up that subject, I'm going to try to find a way of measuring the temp where the lights are. I can assure you that it won't get done this week-end. It's cool outside and we're riding day and night on week-ends with several different groups.

User posted image

This is what I was thinking of when i was rambling on about a laser btw.
icutwo

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:32 pm

I replies last night, but I don't see it now.

Bad Venge
I think I found the amber lights you told me about and I ordered them last night, Thanks.

Jmoddes,
Can I borrow that thing?? Just kidding, but I'll try to find a digital themonter this week. I really hate the unknow and I will find and answer to this.

I still haven't heard from anyone about the warranty on my lights.
icutwo

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:03 pm

Now I'm getting a little worried about my warranty. I still haven't heard from anyone from Oznium about my warranty and I have more red lights going out. I suppose I'll have to start calling Monday because the web site doesn't work too well.
jmoddes

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:41 am

on monday. call them.

866-332-6411

wish i could do more. but not employed.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:34 am

icutwo, I've been replying to all of your emails quite quickly. Perhaps you can check your spam box, since maybe your email provider is incorrectly marking our emails as spam. (Att.net sucks, use Gmail or something better...)

You emailed June 16th, I replied in about 5 hours.

You emailed September 5th, I replied in 1 hour, 14 minutes.

You emailed September 10th, I replied in 7 minutes.

Btw, the aluminum housed surface mount LED bar is one of our most reliable products. If LEDs are going out, the heat is likely too much for it, and the replacements we send will likely just do the same thing.
icutwo

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:48 pm

Sorry, but I haven't gotten any email. Email from this site is the only reply I've received. I did receiver an email saying you had recieved my email and it was in your que, but nothing else, not even in my spam folder, but thanks for responding here. If you think the heat is the cause, I'll try to move them further away from the heat. That was the reason I made this post was to find out if the lights would stand the heat from the radiator. Right now the LEDs are 1" from the Radiator grills. Would 2" take care of the problem? If I push them out too far, they aren't going to look as good. We were at a benifit ride Saturday and these lights were left on all day and drawed very much attention! And yes, I gave your site address to everyone who asked. These babies are bright and the bar-lights are the first I've ever seen which are perfect for many applications. Thank you very very much for responding here. Have you sent another red bar, do I need to take pictures or what do I need to do now?
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Quote:
Would 2" take care of the problem?

I don't know.

Quote:
Have you sent another red bar, do I need to take pictures or what do I need to do now?

No need to take photos, I trust you that some LEDs have gone out. We have not sent another red bar. If LEDs are going out, the heat is likely too much for it, and the replacements we send will likely just do the same thing. Would you like us to send a replacement red bar anyways?
icutwo

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Yes please send the red bar. If you think it was the heat, and it's was my fault they went out, I don't expect you to be responsable for something I did wrong and I'll pay you for them, just let me know. I'm not trying to get something for nothing. I don't know either way what the problem is/was. But I'm going to start moving them tomorrow. It's a pain to replace them and I want to ride instead of replace lights!!

Thank you very much.
icutwo
wolf36

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:46 pm

pictures???

At least some crappy cell phone pics?

Also I'm sure there are many other places on your bike you could put LEDs besides an inch in front of the radiator!!!
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:27 pm

Ok will ship the red right away. Just charging half the cost seems fair. Hope they work well once moved further away from the heat.
icutwo

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:19 pm

WOW!! Problem solved over night with no hassle, and very fast. Oznium has my vote for #1 company to do business with. My replacement lights are already on their way to my home! Now that is service. Something we don't see much of.

Thanks guys.
jmoddes

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:43 pm

icon_rolleyes.gif
wolf36

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:04 pm

icon_rolleyes.gif
icutwo

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Wolf36
I already have many lights on my Trike. Too many lights makes it look cheap or like a rolling Christmas tree. I have just enough to really stand out, but not so many to junk-up my ride.
jmoddes

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:07 pm

I like the rolling christmas tree =] =]
icutwo

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:18 pm

The rolling Christmas Tree wouldn't look good on my Trike. Just got my new lights today, so tomorrow I'll spend most of the day taking the old lights off. Not looking forward to striping all the plastic off. But the new lights will look great!
jmoddes

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm jealous. I'm off tomorrow and my order wont be here till i think saturday or monday (sad face). so i guess i won't work on them till next thursday i think i'm off again....
icutwo

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Sorry about that.
Went to a antique car cruise-in to night. Our Trike took it's fair share of attention!! Was I proud? Yep!! The other Bike that took it's fair share of attention had 4,700 lights and two batteries. He's adding another 3,700 lights!!
wolf36

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:09 pm

OMFG, I have about 70 LEDs in my car, using 13 5mm white in 2 dome lights is about twice as bright as stock.

4,700 and another 3,700 icon_eek.gif uh thats beyond christmas tree, thats a LED screen!

And still no pictures. icon_rolleyes.gif
jmoddes

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:25 pm

wolf36 wrote:
OMFG, I have about 70 LEDs in my car, using 13 5mm white in 2 dome lights is about twice as bright as stock.

4,700 and another 3,700 icon_eek.gif uh thats beyond christmas tree, thats a LED screen!

And still no pictures. icon_rolleyes.gif

dude... have you seen some of the things on here!?!?!?

https://www.oznium.com/forum/topic24547 just look at pix and watch vidz

if the durango doesn't blow you away i dont know what will. I mean you can see werewolfs truck from **** jupiter!

This guys honda is off the planet as well. see this **** from space.

[url][/url]
icutwo

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:58 pm

Now that's a lot of lights. Bet Phil is happy.
wolf36

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Yeah almost all the cars at the Ohio meet were crazy as hell, and you gotta love the van with the midget stripper pole.

I thought my wiring was complicated puppy_dog_eyes.gif
jmoddes

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:35 pm

lol i'm sure it still is.. .lol

im about to do something in a way complex. like just thinking about it gives me a headache.
icutwo

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Come on now and share it.

I just finished adding amber marker lights to the outside fender of my trike, 1' length along both sides. I'm like you, my wireing under my seat is getting a little weird, but I have all the wires numbered, so the wireing diagram tell all.
jmoddes

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:19 pm

So i'm icing the car out. Headlights are getting 2 surface mount rgb leds a piece. Reverse lights are getting one a piece. I have 4 vents and one defrost vent. The defrost vent is getting 2. Each vent is getting one. I'm going to get 4 rgb strips and place next to the inner glow i have in the car already. here is the thing. The reverse lights i'm going to try wiring what the back tube does, the vent lights and headlight lights are going to do what the scanner does, the ones I put next to my inner glow i want to try to get attached to the side tubes.

What makes it complicated... with all the lights I just named off... I want NONE of them on when I drive and have function 0 on so i'm 'legal' I don't want all that distraction going as cool as it would look. (plus having orange inside my car just wouldn't look right with everything else red. anyways... I'm installing my first "Switch" and all the positives will be controlled by this switch. So its going to be a fun, time consuming and annoying job. I'm still deciding whether or not I want to put in relays in where say if i turn my headlight or parking lights on it turns OFF the RGB l.e.d. and strips. I just need to watch any back-feed i may get that could shut my ecu off without me wanting to.

btw. I feel smart because I'm using these connection cables (https://www.oznium.com/replacement-parts/connection-cable) for under my seats, on my headlights, and on my reverse lights... same thing with wheel wells when i do them so if i have to take any of them out I can just disconnect and go. I bought RGB & Black sharpies and i colored like the entire cable it gives me. Also buying colored electrical tape to also help me remember whats what.

*also for people who actually know me, I realllllllly hate switches. I thought it was cool that there was a switch for each item that i seen dusty, venge, and werewolf had. For me I just don't like hitting a switch for each little thing. it happens... 'magically' lol
icutwo

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:51 pm

I bought wire markers. Numbers from 0 to 9. By drawing a schematic, and numbering each wire end to end, I can look at the wire, look at the schematic and know ecactly where it goes and comes from.

Of course, I was a electronic tech on a Oceanographic ship before I retired and it was essential that this was done or else you would NEVER find which wire went where.
jmoddes

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:03 pm

lol i will have RGB/black wires running everywhere so i know what color is what, its just an inch on both ends that i'll have it completely colored.
icutwo

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Good luck. If it can go wrong, it will with me. I may be too cautious, but I've learned over the years it pays, esepcially if and when someone has to come behind you and re-do something or if you have a senior moment. To tackle a project you described, I wouldn't take any chances, but as long as you know what you're doing and how you're doing it, have fun and enjoy the results.
icutwo

Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Well, I guess the heat on these LEDs wasn't the problem, it was just bad LEDs. I haven't had anymore problems with the LEDs except with people standing around my Trike looking and it can't be seen. But this is good. The new LEDs are bright and really make the Trike stand out, of course, the Red, White, and Blue color combination is a real eye catcher. After I changed out the bad LEDs I've just been riding and enjoying. I leave the lights on while I'm stopped and they stop everyone who sees them. Thanks for the exchange. Your site has been recommended to many people. The bar LEDs are great for several applications and this is the first time I've ever seen them. Installation is a breeze in tight places.
jmoddes

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:51 am

icutwo wrote:
Well, I guess the heat on these LEDs wasn't the problem, it was just bad LEDs. I haven't had anymore problems with the LEDs except with people standing around my Trike looking and it can't be seen. But this is good. The new LEDs are bright and really make the Trike stand out, of course, the Red, White, and Blue color combination is a real eye catcher. After I changed out the bad LEDs I've just been riding and enjoying. I leave the lights on while I'm stopped and they stop everyone who sees them. Thanks for the exchange. Your site has been recommended to many people. The bar LEDs are great for several applications and this is the first time I've ever seen them. Installation is a breeze in tight places.

Glad it all worked out for you.
icutwo

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:19 pm

How is your project coming along?
jmoddes

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:51 pm

https://www.oznium.com/led-controllers/flexidriver

all those are me, but only a few of the many i have (photobucket link has them all)

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j196/mugzy_03/

^^Bottom of page 1 and top of page 2

^^ few of the same photos but in one place.
ledlover0

Post Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:42 pm

I never make the LED ribbon strip stand up to the heat produced from the radiator on bike, but the idea is wonderful~have you be successful? My friend told me that the heat would make the light strip broken.
icutwo

Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:49 pm

Well, it's been a while since I've posted anything on this site. My wife passed away last Dec so things around here have been very quiet!
I did have another strip of red lights go out, but they were still under warranty so they are being replaced. Never can figure out why it's always the red lights.
alienyoungjr

Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:51 pm

Heat is a pretty big enemy for LED's. It can seriously effect their lifespan.
The problem is called thermal runaway. Its what happens when an LED gets too hot.
The LED will start using more and more current until it can no long handle it.

There are only a few ways to control it under the high heat condition that you might be in, but
its also difficult to do when using a LED strip.
The easiest way to control it is with a current regulator. That will control how much current the LED can use and will not let them get more than what you design the current regulator to give.

Red LED's seem to be the most sensitive to voltage and current. That's just the way they are.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:20 pm

icutwo wrote:
Well, it's been a while since I've posted anything on this site. My wife passed away last Dec so things around here have been very quiet!
I did have another strip of red lights go out, but they were still under warranty so they are being replaced. Never can figure out why it's always the red lights.

Sorry for your loss.
The time now is Fri May 25, 2018 7:11 pm
Page 1 of 1