Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

2005 scion xb opinons

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:22 pm

Im thinking about buying my neighbors 1005 scion xb. It has 144,000 on it.

The head gasket blew, and it needs a new cat. No big deal, I can fix those.

I can probably get it for about 500-800 bucks. Body is in decent shape, no rust or anything major. It'd probably get a respray if I plan on keeping it for a few years.

I though p0rk owned one, but im not too positive.

What is everyones (who has driven, ridden or owns one) opinion on them? Its full power and cruise, where my neon is not.

Just looking for thoughts! Thanks!
jdusty914

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Pork does have one. Also I got my wife one. We love ours. Tons of room and great on gas. You can easily modify them and fix them if needed.
Tat2Dragons

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:10 am

Chris wrote:

I can probably get it for about 500-800 bucks. Body is in decent shape, no rust or anything major. It'd probably get a respray if I plan on keeping it for a few years.

Damn! if you can get it that cheap, buy it and if you happen to not like it sell it/part it out and make a profit.

I think you'll like the vehicle though, usually they are incredibly reliable and most who own them really like them, I say go for it. icon_smile.gif
bad venge

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:25 am

Yes that cheap and for $200/$300 in parts you can keep it or sell it for a tiddy profit
pOrk

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:49 pm

The 1st gen ones are rattle boxes but they get GREAT fuel mileage, I've heard of almost 38 hwy. Mine gets about 30 hwy in the summer, I have a 2nd gen and I love the car.
Chris

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:32 pm

So overall good opinions. Sweet.

P0rk, keep in mind now, I drive a neon. Thing rattles and clunks bad and I keep great care of it!
jdusty914

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:42 pm

I too have a neon, and I like to drive my wife's Scion more than my car. I love it.
banned from SG

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:18 pm

For that price, if you dont buy it. I will.
pOrk

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:40 pm

Another good thing about the scions is the fact they come with toyota reliability. I say buy it and drive it till the wheels fall off. I love mine, I don't keep vehicles often and I do still have my xB for a reason...
Chris

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:10 pm

So I brought it across the road and into my shop.

What a ***** it is to tear apart to reach the head gasket. It took 2 hours or so to get all the lines, intake, throttle body, 'valve' cover and a few other things off.

Im stopping for the night because Toyota **** me off with part of the engine design.

In order for the head to come off, you need to align everything at TDC (fine, most are like this), make sure the timing chain is aligned on the two top cams, and proceed to take off the serp belt and power steering belt, the engine mounts, lower the engine and pull the crankshaft pulley, take off the water pump, take off the timing chain cover which stretches from the top of the head down to the oil pan. Release the hydraulic tensioner for the chain, pull the chain off, remove the cams, and then you can take off the head.

Wait, dont forget about the exhaust which always seem to break off because I live in salty ass NY.

Makes me regret taking on large projects when my knowledge isnt as high as it should be to do this. Ah well, if it works I can have more confidence in myself and if I am asked to help/do it for somebody I can give them a big fat no.

Side note, the local shops wanted something like 2 grand to do it and actually recommended a motor swap because it was easier and not much more. haha.
The time now is Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:20 pm
Page 1 of 1