Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

aftermarket illuminated door scuff/sill

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:19 am

Hi,

I have brought illuminated door scuff plates from ebay, and I tried to install them by connecting it to door switch. However, it doesn't seem to work. door switch has 2 wires, one of them is 12v, when I connect red wire from scuff plates to 12v and black to a bolt on chasis it lights perfect.

I am wondering if anyone else has installed this then it will be good if you can help me wiring this up and if you could provide some picture as well.

thanks.
bad venge

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:24 am

Does the door switch go high when the door is opened ?

In other words when the door is opened does the other wire that is not 12 volts turn to 12 volts ?

Did you connect to that wire ?
Have you tried connecting them across the battery to be sure they work ?

Most door switches go to GROUND not 12 volts so unsure what type of car you have
digitalmbs

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi,

I have KIA Sorento XM 2011. LED scuff are working perfectly fine if I conenct with 12v and ground. I haven't tried connecting it to other wire on door switch.
What I did was,
1) Opened the door
2) removed the door switch screw and pulled the hardness/plug which connects to the door switch
3) Inserted RED wire from scuff in to harness (it has 2 wires, one is green/orange and other is pink/black, I connected RED to Green/Orange and Black to pink/black nothing happends.
4) Then I connected RED-->Green/Orange and Black to Earth, metal on chassis and Scuff came ON
5) Then I connected RED-->pink/black and BLACK to Earth, nothing happened.

hope that helps.

How do I check if when the door is opened does the other wire that is not 12 volts turn to 12 volts ? I think that is what I did right?
bad venge

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:19 pm

You need a voltmeter or test light
wolf36

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:28 pm

Looks like negative switched, where the green/orange is always on, and pink black could be the negative, and is turned on and off at the door switch. but check first with a voltage tester. You can buy a 12v voltage tester at the 99cent store.

User posted image

Yeah most dome lights have 3 modes. The 12v+ power wire is always on, the negative is the switch on the dome light, first position is connected to nothing(always off), second position is hooked up to the door pin switch, so when you open the door the dome is connected to ground, completing the circuit and turning on, third position is usually connected to the metal in the roof(ground), so it will constantly stay on.

On my car the door pin switch didnt have the 12v+ near it, probably routed through a different part of the car. So I tapped a fuse that was always on to get my cathodes 12v+, and ran the negative wire to the door pin switch.
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:44 am
Page 1 of 1