Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Odd Dome light + Switch LED scenario - Need wiring help

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:10 pm

Hello All,

I have been searching around for a little while and have so far been unsuccessful in determining the proper setup for the following situation in my Mitsubishi Outlander Sport:

Goal: LED floor board lighting that comes on/off with the dome light with an attached switch to manually turn them on at will.

Problem: This car has a dimming dome light with three wires leading to the harness. One is constant +12v, one is Ground, and the third is the wire that controls the switching/dimming functionality. When the door is unlocked or opened, the control wire pulses +12v once and then goes to 0v as long as the door is open. Once the door closes it will pulse +12v again going back to near 0v and then gradually increase to 12v at which time the dome light turns off. I have attached a picture of the circuit diagram.

Any help is much appreciated.

Jmant83

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:11 pm

The image is in my gallery:

bad venge

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:09 am

It would appear that if you connect to wire 2&3 in the dome light the lights added will follow the dome lights ... I've posted several times how to interface with a relay to do a seperate switch to override the domes ....
You have to determine if 2 or 3 is the positive use the + to feed the N/C connection on the relay use 30 to feed the lights/domes.

Then feed power thru a fuse to the coil of the relay AND the N/O contact on the relay , ground the coil and you should be good to go
Jmant83

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:15 am

If you look at the diagram you will see they employ a Not Logic Gate or an inverter to perform the switching.

I considered the approach you mentioned in some of the other posts, but I am not sure that will work in this case. When I hook the leads of the LED strip to the ground wire and the switch/dim wire, it behaves as follows: When the door opens, the LEDs turn on momentarily with dimmed brightness and then turn off. When the door closes, they turn back on with dimmed brightness and turn off approximately 15 seconds later.

It appears the momentary +12v activates a switch within the dome light housing that completes the circuit from the constant +12v and Ground. Then when the door closes, the voltage of the switch/dim wire is slowly increased from +0v to +12v then immediately drops to +0v. When it reaches +12v the switch is flipped and the circuit is broken.

If you look at the switch that turns the Door functionality on/off on the housing, all this does is bridge the gap with small ball bearing between the switch/dim circuit and the remaining circuits within the housing.

Does anyone have any experience working with these types of circuits?
bad venge

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:49 am

I can't see that the POWER appears to be fed thru 2/3 to the lights I'd VERIFY that the power is fed there and then connect as mentioned Connect the LED's ACROSS those two and see what happens DO NOT GROUND ECT ECT
Jmant83

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:39 am

I see now. I will do additional testing when I get home and will let you know.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 8:55 am
Page 1 of 1