Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Backyard Fire Pit

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:17 pm

Had a BBQ the other weekend with a bunch of friends over. Started getting dark out and multiple people brought up the fact I don't have anywhere to have a fire in my backyard. Since I love camping/fires and so do most people, thought it was a great idea and took it upon myself to build a fire pit.

Project was a little over $200 but could be brought down with cheaper stones.

4' diameter pit, middle dug out an additional 6" and filled with Pea Gravel and then Mexican Beach Stone for drainage. Exterior slab of concrete for base platform for bricks.

Edges dug out 6" and filled with gravel to prevent weeds and grass fires.

Stones set in place so it is moveable if I ever want to relocate it. Top stone hand chiseled and glued with masonry glue.

Interior sprayed with heat resistant paint

KrzysD

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:21 pm

That is awesome looking! Where did you get the idea from?

Uhh and some of those rocks are gonna crack from the heat, just so you know, not really a negative.
02BlueStang

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Got the idea from the BBQ...then did some online research and found some that worked for what I was looking to do.

The stones may crack/may not...if they do I'll pickup an inside metal liner ($125 which is why I didn't get one). I could also get some fire bricks to line the interior. For now people have had good success with the high heat paint so we'll see how it holds up. icon_cool.gif
Tat2Dragons

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Very nice! That really turned out great.

I don't know much about fire pits, but I've always wondered, are there any specific laws you have to follow in regards to how they are built and such? Oh and I hope you plan on showing us some night shots whenever you decide to light that bad boy up. icon_cool.gif
The_Mastor

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Nice work right there, fire pits are awesome! icon_cool.gif

We bought one of the not built in ones for the cabin's deck, but there is a nice spot in the yard I am thinking of making something like this, except a little bigger icon_lol.gif
A-Ray

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:22 am

Nice quality work man.
02BlueStang

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:16 am

Tat2Dragons wrote:
Very nice! That really turned out great.

I don't know much about fire pits, but I've always wondered, are there any specific laws you have to follow in regards to how they are built and such? Oh and I hope you plan on showing us some night shots whenever you decide to light that bad boy up. icon_cool.gif

Check with your local city ordinances. Most cities have a burn ban/footage policy for outdoor burning. I however live in the unincorporated county and can pretty much do as you please biglaugh.gif

Will have some night shots this Saturday after a nice BBQ and test run.
Tat2Dragons

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:19 pm

^^Nice! can't wait to see those pics. icon_cool.gif Oh and thanks for the info.
werewolf

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:56 pm

so when are you inviting us over for a cookout icon_biggrin.gif
02BlueStang

Post Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:01 pm

werewolf wrote:
so when are you inviting us over for a cookout icon_biggrin.gif

BBQ is tonight...Free food, beer, hard a and fire for those who attend icon_cool.gif ....I'm a little bit of a drive though biglaugh.gif
02BlueStang

Post Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:36 am

Fire pit worked great....some of the rocks did explode a little, nothing big though (smaller rocks in the fire pit not the exterior brick). High heat paint held up well and burned for about 3 hours. Didn't get pictures as I was a little less focused icon_wink.gif ...overall a great addition to the house and worked great....highly recommend it to anyone with a decent sized backyard or wanting to add a feature to their house.
Tat2Dragons

Post Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:01 pm

^^Nice! Glad to hear it worked out well for you, maybe next time you'll be able to grab a few shots of it burning.
Kindschi

Post Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Nice job
banned from SG

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:02 am

Just don't let things get out of hand
02BlueStang

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:23 pm

^^^ That's not out of hand....If I still had the pictures of the tree we caught on fire at my buddies old place that was, well an interesting night.

Moral of fire pits: Don't let your drunk buddy pour gasoline from a 5 gallon can on a lit fire....Eyebrows and hair do grow back though icon_cool.gif
The_Mastor

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Better moral of fire pits: Don't let your high school kegger get out of hand and some drunk **** think its a good idea to throw a propane tank in the huge fire... Luckily we were out in the middle of nowhere, but I have never seen 75+ people move faster than at that moment biglaugh.gif biglaugh.gif
banned from SG

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:09 am

Moral of my story: Don't leave a bunch of drunk military people unattended with firearms in the middle of the woods when there's a forest of dead pines downwind of the fire.
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:16 am
Page 1 of 1