Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Where to drill mounting holes for screws on a LED strip

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:21 am

Just bought a motorcycle red LED strip to be used as a stop auxiliary light at the back of my motorcycle trunk (made of fiberglass). I need to make some holes for screws in order to attach the strip to the trunk back side; I figure that the most logical place will be right in the middle of the area where you are allow to cut the strip, that is every three LED's. Please let me know where is the correct place to drill holes.
Also, I will need to cut the 20" strip to around 17" , cutting the strip by three LED's; what waterproof and weatherproof sealant compound, clear silicon or a much better clear sealant do you recommend ???????????????

I must use screws on the strip, otherwise I might kiss goodby to the strip in a couple of days..................... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif
bad venge

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:51 am

The 3M tape that comes with them holds REMARKABLY well if you prep it properly , I use 3M adhesive remover to wipe down the area (removes wax/grease/oil/fingerprints ect) to allow it to stick.
I mounted mine as low as possible on the trunk and have the wire running across the bottom of the trunk then made a small V shapped cut to get the wire out of the trunk to the strip.
No holes and no mess if I remove it later. If you decide you MUST drill holes then get a nylon clamp sized for the strip and use it to hold both ends and drill a hole to fish the wire thru then seal it all up with clear silicone or buytl rubber
juanvm

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:55 am

The LED strip that I bought don't have a 3M tape, is mounted in a bare aluminum channel. I already have a LED stop auxiliary light all wired up but the brightness is so poor that I decided to replace it with this new LED strip that is ten times brighter than the CHEAPO that I installed before.

I was asking about the mounting screw holes, because in the FAQ section states that you can use screws to mount the strip:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question
what do you recommend for mounting hardware
- by rob

Answer
Cable ties, metal clamps, screws, strong glue, etc...

Just head to your local hardware store and I'm sure you can find something that will work icon_smile.gif
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks icon_smile.gif
bad venge

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:08 pm

I'd go get 3m mounting tape and apply to the rear... and next time if you give a link to the strip you bought it might help get answers icon_wink.gif
jmoddes

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:36 pm

bad venge wrote:
I'd go get 3m mounting tape and apply to the rear... and next time if you give a link to the strip you bought it might help get answers icon_wink.gif

3m tape works better than a champ.
juanvm

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:09 pm

bad venge wrote:

Here is the link:

https://www.oznium.com/motorcycle-led-lighting/waterproof-motorcycle-leds
bad venge

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:32 pm

When you mentioned metal I figured what you got
jmoddes

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:54 pm

again....3m tape! good stuff, not cheap stuff
juanvm

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:25 pm

jmoddes wrote:
again....3m tape! good stuff, not cheap stuff

If the surface where it will be attached were almost flat, the 3M tape will be okay, but the surface have a small bend or curve that the metal backing will follow without too much effort and will not distort the strip, but you need more punch than the 3M tape to attach the ends of the strip, besides I will like to remove and replace the strip easily when some LED's start to fail ...................................... puppy_dog_eyes.gif biglaugh.gif
bad venge

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:30 pm

I'd try to bend it to conform then use the 3M , if you really want to use screws I'd make two end brackets secured with a screw/bolt End view like this { with a screw in the center
juanvm

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:02 am

Well, I used a 1/8" drill bit and made the hole, and it works........ see images:

I will make aluminum brackets with hole in the center to hold down the aluminum U channel............... and paint it black including the U channel
bad venge

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:47 am

Be CAUTIOUS as the screw can short out
juanvm

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:59 am

I will be using machine screws with self locking nuts, heat shrink tubing will be inserted at the screws threads to cover the height of the strip, just in case............................ biglaugh.gif
bad venge

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:07 pm

I'd use nylon washers the 4 solder pads the hole is between is a live connection icon_wink.gif
juanvm

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:36 pm

You have to have one of this strips in front of you to appreciate its construction, first there is a 20" aluminum U channel where the LED's strip is deposited and in top of it a clear insulation compound is pour over it, is an extremely clear insulation material, so the solder pads are well insulated. The sides of the U channel are higher than the LED's strip, if you make a bracket that will not bent easily and place one of your nylon washers between the already insulated solder pads and the bracket (the washer must not be too thick or you will put pressure on the pads when you torque the screw.). Then you will have double insurance........... GEICO and whatever the other will be icon_rolleyes.gif puppy_dog_eyes.gif biglaugh.gif
bad venge

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Remember that vibration ect can cause the bolt to wear away the insulation that's why I recomend the washer
The time now is Sun May 27, 2018 10:37 am
Page 1 of 1