Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

LED Swap in tinted tails

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new here and I've been browsing the site for a bit but I have a quick question to ask.

I have my tail lights tinted and I've never had an issue with them, but lately I've been wanting to make them brighter when illuminated so I'm looking at switching out the stock bulb for an LED bulb.

I've seen that you guys typically recommend using a red LED in tail lights over a white LED so that answers one of my questions.

My other question is that will I see much of a difference through the tint with just replacing the stock bulb with a red LED? I've seen that most of you create your own custom setups with multiple LEDs in patterns. And while I think that is an awesome idea its a bit above my skill level with this. All I would want to do honestly is use a single 30-45 LED bulb instead of the stock one.

Is it worth it? Or would the change not really be all that noticable and just be a waste of money?

Thanks in advance!
bad venge

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:48 pm

you can buy a premade bulb from supebrightleds,com is the easist way , but this can sometimes cause turn signals to flash fast
daven75

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:40 pm

But to counter the fast flashing, you can get a thing from autozone in the bulb section, lol.
CWB211

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:20 pm

superbrightleds.com is where I saw the 30-45 LED bulbs I was referencing actually, lol.

I wouldn't have to worry about fast flashing if I was only changing my brake light would I? I may change my turn signal in the future but for now I'm only really concerned with my brake lights really.

And one of those LEDs should, in essense, be brighter then a stock bulb through my tint then?

Thanks again for the fast replies and the help!
daven75

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:56 pm

They should be brighter, there are some downsides to the LEDs though, like so-
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f92...norak-led-taillights-led-007.jpg

but im not sure, so its worth a shot. and if you just do your brake lights, no flashing lol
CWB211

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:30 am

I can see the issue with that pic, I assume the LED is on the right since its showing a downside to LEDs? What was the problem with it though? I thought in general LEDs were superior to stock bulbs?
bad venge

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:31 am

It also depends on the quality of the bulbs you buy ...

Cheap ebay bulbs use fewer low quality leds and can actually be less bright or cause spotty lighting

Also look if you can find use spider type bulbs they have spring loaded arms that spread open when installed to spread the light better
daven75

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:29 am

^^ that. I mainly pointed that out cause he has tinted tail lights, DEPENDING on how dark they are, he's alittle more likely to get that effect.
CWB211

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:18 am

Yeah, I wish Oznium sold these types on LEDs. I love my interior and license plate bulbs I got from them. I was going to purchase the LEDs for this from superbrightleds.com though. I've never bought anything from them but eveyone I talk to says they have a quality product also so I would hope they wouldn't cheap quality.

As far as the spider bulbs... I never actually thought about using those. I've seen them on superbrightleds.com but I need something with a 7443 base for my tails and I don't think they carry them in that type... I'll have to take a look around for some.

If I can't find any I'll probably just go with their red 45 LED bulb.

Thanks again for the help guys.
Aken

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Oznium sold LED bulbs like this for a little while, but there was little return for the amount of work that came with them. They might again in the future, but for now it's not worth it.
daven75

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:58 pm

I wish oznium sold them too, atleast like license plate bulbs :[

I have used superbrightleds.com for my LED dash lights, out of i think 12, I got one dud. BUT they were quick to ship a few replacements, and yes, said that right, they sent me 4 extra, just in case!
The time now is Thu May 24, 2018 8:10 pm
Page 1 of 1