Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Beer Pong Table...

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:42 pm

I know, it's been done many times. But me and a friend from work were talking and we decided we were gonna pimp out his pong table just because. So me and a different friend are the "LED guys" from around here so we decided we'll take on the project and see what we can do. I am by no means a professional. But what we're planning on doing is:

- strip under the table for lighting up the area
- tactile switches for the on/off cup color (not sure which colors yet.) <-- biggest challenge
- symbol out of 5mm LEDs or a scrolling screen.
- UV/Blacklight on the sides of the table and above.

Any suggestions, comments, remarks, better ideas?
tehwootxorz

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:16 pm

Would tactile switches be a good choice? And would we be able to get them to be on/on rather than on/off but with different colors. Like green=cup on and red=cup off. Keep in mind we only have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of space for these.
jmoddes

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:12 pm

dude..i have a really cool idea... but it requires a lot of ****.

have pressure switches in each whole for when you have a cup filled it turns on. I'm a rgb fanatic..idk y but i am... i'd have something like the https://www.oznium.com/led-bolts-prewired-leds/rgb-color-changing-led

wire it in to each cup and when you have a cup lifted from the table, that whole shuts off.

i think that be cool.

for the switches. i wouldn't know... i'm not a switch guy... =/
bad venge

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:20 pm

I'd use a magnetic reed switch then plant magnets in the bottom of the glasses
Oscar

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:38 pm

Oh, it's so cool. How long it can works?
https://www.oznium.com/led-bolts-prewired-leds/rgb-color-changing-led
Maybe i can mount a mini laser stage lighting on my car base.

Last edited by Oscar on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total
jmoddes

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:01 pm

Oscar wrote:
Oh, it's so cool. How long it can works?
https://www.oznium.com/led-bolts-prewired-leds/rgb-color-changing-led

NOT being a ****.. but i just didn't understand that. Rephrase, or someone help me out.
bad venge

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:06 am

I speak engrish kind of ... icon_rolleyes.gif
vipe9

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:14 am

LED lights on a table is an awesome idea. Get some glow in the dark balls and you can play in the dark icon_biggrin.gif

My friends and I run a tournament at our apartment every weekend and we bought 3 tables from this site and they are doing ok. Having an LED lighting table would be sick. How much is it costing you to put together that table?

Only suggestion I would have is put in an automatic ball washer some how hah[/url]
bad venge

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:45 am

It would be awesome to ring it in UV LED's then get the glow in the dark balls/paint
jmoddes

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:51 am

I don't really know how bp is played out by you. I know here in Keno (same at uw parkside, carthage and some places im uwmilwaukee) instead of beer in the cups, its water in the cups and you have a can, bottle, drink of some sort where you have to chug when yu take a cup out. So ball cleaner has no effect on us.

the uv led is a freakin awessommeee idea!!! i play blacklight bp ALL the time and its incredibly fun.
tehwootxorz

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:01 pm

jmoddes wrote:

have pressure switches in each whole for when you have a cup filled it turns on. I'm a rgb fanatic..idk y but i am... i'd have something like the https://www.oznium.com/led-bolts-prewired-leds/rgb-color-changing-led

wire it in to each cup and when you have a cup lifted from the table, that whole shuts off.

i think that be cool.

^That was sort of one of the initial ideas. It's #2 on the list =P except to have a color on the whole time but changing with the cup being there or not.

We've been slowly shaping our ideas but we haven't had the same shifts lately and texting isn't a great brainstorming tool so it's kind of tough. But...

We decided that we're going to probably to Red Vs. Blue.
So the cups will be your color when cups are on.
But will change to the opposing team's color when it is taken off.
This will also include having strips on your side of your color.
With a symbol in the middle, made of 5mm LEDs.
Not sure if we're going to do red/blue in the middle, or UV. Because we are going to have 3 UV lamps to play under.

Still not sure about the switches. But we want them to be in the table, not on the cups because you know drunk people will break them or be like "oh hey what's this?" and rip them off. So its back to tactile/lever-arms. We don't have enough of a budget for pressure/force/weight sensors. This is just a side project that we're doing for fun. Not a full-blown, fully paid for thing.

Over this long weekend for Thanksgiving I think we are going to go scope out the table, get measurements and whatnot and get an idea of what we're going to need. So we'll be a little closer to our goal than before. I'm probably going to take a crapload of pics of progress and whatnot, I just have to get them onto my damn computer.

More ideas and feedback are encouraged, we're just kinda runnin' blind right now. Neither of us have taken on a project like this before.
tehwootxorz

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:22 pm

User posted image

This is what is going on in my head, I just tried to put it into a semi-understandable Paint drawing. Once you put cups on, it will glow your color, once you take them off, it will be the opposing color. Sort of like... When they hit that cup, they claim it. I thought it was a kick-ass idea. But who knows, maybe people won't like it.

The graffiti on the table was there. I just kinda stole a pic off bing to draw on. Although that would be cool with glow in the dark paint.....
jmoddes

Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:37 pm

I like the idea.. in order to have the colors and everything you would need to build a small like plank, or platform. What would be nice if you did wood triangle boarders (so you don't see the light besides within the cups) and possible even have 10 wood rings in each triangle to really FILTER the light for only the cup placement you'll have.

another idea, if you want to use the 3 or 5 mm point l.e.d.s, Get small hollow plastic (cheaper) or glass rings where you can have the glow really concentrated so its not all ugly and goes everywhere.

I'll try to draw something up via illustrator to show better what i'm talking about.

For the UV lights, you are also good at just buying black light bulbs, or black lights themselves and setting them up with paint all over.

what would be smart is for the outside of the table boarder, if you did long strips.. like measure with an extra 3 or so inches on it and buy the longest strips. I think side emitting would be neat if you got scratched plexi glass so you couldn't see the light itself, but just a glow as if its a huge ass neon tube or cathode.

Again, Ideas.
jmoddes

Post Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:48 pm

Okay... So i drew up everything on Illustrator. However, I don't have time right now to convert it all to pictures or anything where you can see without Adobe AI.

I'll upload this right now and i'll convert it all to jpeg or something after this long unforgiving weekend.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=510b97677f&view=att&th=133d8d60b6145c49&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=f_gvenhcwl0&zw

If that link works, i'll be STOKED! cuz there deff isn't an...'upload' button haha
jmoddes

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:00 pm

User posted image

This is what i made... when i scaled it down it made a few things look like ****

Just a heads up... but something I think that would be neat.[/img]
The time now is Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:22 pm
Page 1 of 1