Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

PRE INSTALL question HID life expectancy etc..

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:51 am

For 98 toyota avalon xl

Hello all!
I would like to know how long do HID lights last as compared to OEM reg. bulbs and I am clueless as for the best model/make HID converter kit to get?

Thx.
jdusty914

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:05 pm

First if you are going to put them into a normal non projector housing then DON"T DO IT!!! If you are going to put them into a projector housing then I would look into DDM tuning for a kit. Some people like them and some people do not. I have had a set on my wife's xB for over a year now with no problem. The HID's should last a lot longer, but if you are constantly turning them on and then off (i.e. on drive a few minutes then off, then back on drive a little longer then back off, that kind of thing not drive somewhere and then turn them off for the night type of thing) then they will not be happy and the life span will decrease drastically.

Welcome to Oznium by the way.
jmoddes

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:27 pm

I can say one thing. Don't buy from ebay.... you know what i lied, do NOT buy ANY HID kit where you have to run a separate power to them.

I am on my 3rd HID kit in 2 years ONLY because of the separate power and i kept warranty-ing them out.

I just purchased a Great kit for when what I have installed now fails. When you buy HID's.... try to get a kit that is a literal plug in and play. Each ballast plugs into each headlight harness and then from the harness goes to the bulb. I've only had one bulb go bad and it was a high/low (something I don't recommend either). If you want high and low beam, The bulb that I've seen work great for the past 3 years is one similar to this...

User posted image

That is what you'd get. NOW...

for the housing.. I do disagree with dusty a little bit when he says
jdusty914 wrote:
First if you are going to put them into a normal non projector housing then DON"T DO IT!!!
. There is a big controversy for a lot of people.

there are people who do NOT aim their headlights down after putting HIDs into a regular headlight User posted image

you NEED to readjust your headlight (which should be really easy) after you put HIDs in.

If you have a projector type headlight User posted image Then you really don't have to worry about it.

either one looks fine.

I DO agree with Dusty when he said
jdusty914 wrote:
The HID's should last a lot longer, but if you are constantly turning them on and then off (i.e. on drive a few minutes then off, then back on drive a little longer then back off, the life span will decrease drastically.

The more you play with them by turning them on/off the worse off the BALLAST is. Not so much the bulb.

I purchased my kit through Euro Effects. Reason being, my father purchased a kit from them back when HIDs were near 250 bucks dealer cost for moderately cheap ones and they've lasted no problems ever sense. (I'd guess about 4-5 years now).

Best of luck!
bad venge

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:53 pm

DDM tuning do NOT sell HID's anymore icon_wink.gif

HID extra makes a descent kit I've had them for 4/5 years
harry3k!

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:08 pm

thx a lot
daven75

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:31 pm

DDM still does sell them, I bought some recently.... lol and yea, I agree with the whole type of headlight debate. there are some headlights that had HIDs stock in them and they are not projectors. so you might be able to get away with it. but you cant beat projectors. lol
bad venge

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:32 pm

DDM lost a class action law suit and was under a cease and desist order ... Dunno how they are selling again
jmoddes

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:52 pm

daven75 wrote:
DDM still does sell them, I bought some recently.... lol and yea, I agree with the whole type of headlight debate. there are some headlights that had HIDs stock in them and they are not projectors. so you might be able to get away with it. but you cant beat projectors. lol

I agree. I just am too.. i guess cheap? but not really to get headlights with projectors if my car doesn't already have them. but just because my car doesn't have them means i cannot have HIDs?

I mean... I have a neon. The projector only come with halos and l.e.d.s and i think they look **** the more and more and MORE I looked into them. lemme re-phrase that.. They would look like ass on my car. they look cool as ****.

but then I have to buy 2 sets of bulbs.. a HID low and then a High regular bulb... So with my headlights, I just threw HID's in... aimed them where they are AT my knees.. There are some reflection that goes up, but besides that, there isn't anything that is blinding. So i guess that makes me cheap? I don't know, it what I've been called in the past.

Real talk, back on subject, HIDs are a must have in my opinion and I can't drive a vehicle at night for a long time without them.. otherwise - no joke - I turn the High beams on whenever there isn't much traffic just so I can try to see the road.
04XFire

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:22 pm

A large amount of aftermarket projectors are not made for hids either and give very poor light output. I have had problems with every ddm tuning kit I've own so far. That being said I'm on my third. A good quality kit? God no. Worth the low price? Deffinitely. I bought 55w 5000k for my crossfire and they're a beautiful white oem-ish color. 2 weeks and I haven't had a problem yet this time around besides slow shipping.
corvettecrazy

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:03 pm

The ignorance in this thread is amazing.
stasis-

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:17 pm

I have a 35watt 6000k ddmtuning kit for the scion
jmoddes

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:48 pm

corvettecrazy wrote:

:)

I like HIDs. I just don't think it is smart to spend an extra 400 on a GOOD pair of aftermarket headlights (if your car doesn't come with projectors) to use HIDs and have them look great because of the design behind the lens.

So slight apologies for ignorance on my behalf.

and @Stasis.... that TC is SICK!!!! I really like the new design of the car. How do you like it so far??
Tat2Dragons

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:23 am

jmoddes wrote:
corvettecrazy wrote:

icon_smile.gif

I like HIDs. I just don't think it is smart to spend an extra 400 on a GOOD pair of aftermarket headlights (if your car doesn't come with projectors) to use HIDs and have them look great because of the design behind the lens.

Most people who are wanting to do a proper HID install don't spend money on aftermarket headlights, they'll the take time and effort to retrofit quality HID projector lenses into their stock housing.

Also and no offense, but installing HIDs in lenses that were designed for halogen bulb use will never actually look good, I don't care how ones go about aiming them.

A lot of people, including myself feel as though if you're not going to do it right, then don't bother doing it at all.
jmoddes

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:12 pm

I've only seen that done to a few cars. I didn't realize so many people put projector lenses into stock housings. *wondering if i should look into it*
bad venge

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:28 pm

Tat2Dragons

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:36 pm

^^Good stuff. The Retrofit Source is where I got my HID retro kit from.
jmoddes wrote:
I've only seen that done to a few cars. I didn't realize so many people put projector lenses into stock housings. *wondering if i should look into it*

Yeah, there are tons of people who do just that. For quite sometime now I've been planning on doing a retrofit on my Element, as I have everything I need to do the job, except time. Hopefully I'll be getting to it soon.

Here's an excellent forum where you can get all kinds of information on doing proper retrofits.
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

Also, here's a good read about HIDs.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Last edited by Tat2Dragons on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total
jmoddes

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:37 pm

bad venge wrote:
http://retro-solutions.net/product-list.php?Retrofit_projectors_xenon_bixenon-pg1-cid94_html=/asc_action=SetCurrCat/category_id=94

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

O.o!!!!!!!!!!

all i can say.
stasis-

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:58 pm

jmoddes wrote:
corvettecrazy wrote:

icon_smile.gif

and @Stasis.... that TC is SICK!!!! I really like the new design of the car. How do you like it so far??

I actually love the scion. I already have 24.5k miles on it. Later this year I plan to turbo it, but not until I run out of small mods to do
Cooper

Post Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:28 pm

DDM Tuning does still sell HID kits . I have had good experiences with my purchases from them, both online and at their brick & mortar store . The price is good for the quality, I think .

http://ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/HID-Kits-Lighting/HID-Kits

Please only use an HID kit if you have the proper projector beam headlamps on your vehicle . If you have reflector housings you will spend the money just to get a "cool" color temperature in your beams . You'll end up with headlights that don't put as much light on the road where you need it, and bother other drivers that are on-coming and looking in their rear-view .
jmoddes

Post Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:33 pm

Cooper wrote:
DDM Tuning does still sell HID kits . I have had good experiences with my purchases from them, both online and at their brick & mortar store . The price is good for the quality, I think .

http://ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/HID-Kits-Lighting/HID-Kits

Please only use an HID kit if you have the proper projector beam headlamps on your vehicle . If you have reflector housings you will spend the money just to get a "cool" color temperature in your beams . You'll end up with headlights that don't put as much light on the road where you need it, and bother other drivers that are on-coming and looking in their rear-view .

quick fix by aiming them down to not blind other drivers.
stasis-

Post Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:28 pm

yes PLEASE do not install hids without projectors
stevenb913

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:26 am

55w 6000k hids in stock headlights FTW!

jmoddes

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:43 am

^ thank you icon_smile.gif looks good icon_biggrin.gif
stasis-

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:44 am

Thats with -3ish exposure on the camera just so it would take the picture, they are a little blue, but not that bad
stevenb913

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:52 am

i wish i could do a projector retrofit. cant find anybody to do them. and i use my car everyday so i cant take out the headlights for a weekend to try and do it. oh well biglaugh.gif
stasis-

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:15 pm

just for giggles, heres a pic of my cutoff line

back on topic though. Get a decent brand with a warranty and you will be okay. DDM offers lifetime warranty and is maybe $60 after shipping, its worth it...since phil discontinued the hids icon_smile.gif
jmoddes

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:20 pm

jealous of cut off line... :-P !!!!!!!!!!!

My new car I hope to have stock projector headlight lens'. That way i won't have to worry about it. I wanna do one more buy from oznium thursday (pay day) then I need to save up all i can to have a new car by may 21st :)

I'm going to take a picture at night against my garage of my headlights to compare with yours :)

Cut off line.. vs no cut off line. icon_smile.gif
A-Ray

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:07 am

Your cut off line doesn't exist, unless you've changed things since Ohio meet up. Holy glare batman!!

BTW, doing a retro isn't that hard for the most part. I did the retro for my fog lights and they turned out fairly well. It was my first try at doing something like that so I can't complain too much. I'm hoping to have my headlight projectors back in working order sometime in the next month or two. Somehow the wiring got fried, so the guy that made the headlights for me is having to repair/replace the wiring.
jmoddes

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:04 am

A-Ray wrote:
Your cut off line doesn't exist, unless you've changed things since Ohio meet up. Holy glare batman!!

LMFAO rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif biglaugh.gif biglaugh.gif

yeah.. I didn't do anything with them then. In October I adjusted them properly and there isn't near as much glare. The main beam is just below my knees and from standing 20 feet back I can look at my car and now have to squint my eyes from it being 'too' bright. It's much better.
The time now is Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:44 am
Page 1 of 1