Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Reasons why you should never put a larger fuse in

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:40 am

2010 Chevy Malibu. long story short, a buddy got a speaker / 4 channel amp system and he wanted me to try to tune it w.e. This is at about 7:30 pm. Listening to it, sounds good, then I smell something burning. He informs me his taillights there is something wrong where he keeps blowing a 10A fuse for his illumination lights (that include turn signals, parking lights, and all in-cabin lighting. So he was told to put a 25 in there and they would all work... they did but.... Here is what happened. (All on passenger side)

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

Now is wasn't so much on him, there had to have been SOMETHING wrong with the stock wiring because within 3 hours of driving these wires went from fully shielded to melted down, stuck together grounding out!? I can see it happening over a few days, but now a few hours. I will say this Malibu is set is really stupid when it comes to ground. Instead of running ground from the Passenger door going up around the kick panel into the lower center council (where there are 3 grounds located aprx. 2 feet of wire, they ran it all the way down the side of the car, up the back seat into another ground that looks stupid as hell when a panel is taken off.

Anyways, it took the owner of the car, myself and another buddy 7 hours to re-wire the entire thing going into the door as well... fun, but a little hard, and extremely tedious work get it all done. One wire at a time, not rushing... Well, i'm off to work now and be on later. Have a good day all!

Few more pics were taken, just don't have them.
The_Mastor

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:54 pm

Yeah whoever said to put a 25amp in there was a moron. People who don't realize what a fuse does needs to learn quick. I have heard so many snobby people "what are you talking about? You can always use a bigger fuse it doesn't matter, don't listen to this guy you can use bigger it will work"

doh.gif

Yes you tool it will work but learn what a fuse does and why you should not put a bigger one in there. Some people man, some people.

Sorry to hear about your wiring mess, that does not look fun at all icon_eek.gif
bad venge

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:30 pm

Fuse are sized to protect the WIRE If the wires properly sized the load and the wires are protected
corvettecrazy

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:05 pm

The_Mastor wrote:
Yeah whoever said to put a 25amp in there was a moron. icon_eek.gif

bad venge wrote:
Fuse are sized to protect the WIRE If the wires properly sized the load and the wires are protected

Amen
jmoddes

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:30 pm

haha, yeah

I'm still at work and can't get the pictures uploaded, but yeah, we were up until 4:30 doing it. It was... tiring. But he was in that mood of like ( I can't believe this is happening) where I wanted to make sure we took our time and did one at a time making sure we don't mess up What I found out too that I forgot to mention. THere was a reason why the fuse kept popping Someone took a pin out of the male plug (this is in the boot between the door and the car) and moved it to the wrong spot SOO! The pin that was not moved (on the female end that was hot) some how cause a connection issue else where which popped the fuse. and we all know what happened now afterwards. But After I wired it, fuse popped the owner looked and seen the pin was in the wrong spot, we moved it to the correct spo, everything turned on no issues and then we put the car back together.

Overall it was kind of fun to do but sucked at the same time. I"m just REALLY happy and he's thankful for that I smelled like a burning when he was playing music and I took a flashlight and seen smoke POURING out of the Passanger A pillar.

EDIT:

One more picture for now. I still have a few different ones that show how long the wire had to be...

User posted image
jmoddes

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Here are the other pictures icon_smile.gif lol

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

The Owner
User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

Fun night.......................... lol