Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

How to wire rocker switches

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Hey all,
Was hoping someone could help me make sense of how I should go about doing this.
Alright so for my car I am getting Angel Eyes in the headlights, each headlight has 2 eyes. Now I figure i need two rocker switches, one for each color. But the question I am needing help solving is where to get the power. I was thinking about tapping into the fuse box but I dont know what amp fuse I should tap into. Or, would it be better to get an inline fuse, some 18 gauge wire, and run from the battery to the switch to the angel eyes?
I already have an HID relay harness and my amp power running from the battery.
Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated!
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Either of the mentioned ways would work, you could do a simple (add-a-line), which just pretty much "taps" into a fuse slot and you get your power that way.

Or running a power wire from the battery, fusing it, and using that would work just as well.
jmoddes

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:49 pm

jmoddes

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
Either of the mentioned ways would work, you could do a simple (add-a-line), which just pretty much "taps" into a fuse slot and you get your power that way.

Or running a power wire from the battery, fusing it, and using that would work just as well.

I hate you answered 3 seconds before me icon_razz.gif lmfao icon_biggrin.gif
xilyhir

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:54 pm

I appreciate the answers. I saw the image that was posted on the tech page for the rockers but I guess I was mostly unsure about what amp fuse I should tap into in the fuse box, or does it not matter? Also, can i put two switches onto the same tapped fuse?
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:17 pm

So wait, why do you need two switches?
xilyhir

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:24 pm

The projector headlights im going to be installing have 2 halos in each, I figure I would get 2 switches that way i can decide which of the two halos i want to light up
bad venge

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:34 pm

most run both together
xilyhir

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:38 pm

okay well ill look into it when i get them, but if they do run separate, is it okay to run 2 switches off the same fuse?
Aken

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:18 pm

xilyhir wrote:
is it okay to run 2 switches off the same fuse?

Yes.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:56 pm

xilyhir wrote:
The projector headlights im going to be installing have 2 halos in each, I figure I would get 2 switches that way i can decide which of the two halos i want to light up

Ooh, okay gotcha. Makes sense now. My Projector headlights only had one halo per housing.
jmoddes

Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:13 am

Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
xilyhir wrote:

Ooh, okay gotcha. Makes sense now. My Projector headlights only had one halo per housing.
but they SHOULD be wired together inside the housing like venge said where only 1 + and 1 - come out. but i guess it depends on the housing.

one switch will do plenty. I have one switch on 10 RGB smd AND my amp rack strip. no issues.
bad venge

Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:50 am

I run mine off the running lights one fuse ands a relay , the running light triggers the relay , power from the battery fused to the relay powers the halos in both headlights
xilyhir

Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:12 am

jmoddes wrote:
Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
xilyhir wrote:

but they SHOULD be wired together inside the housing like venge said where only 1 + and 1 - come out. but i guess it depends on the housing.

one switch will do plenty. I have one switch on 10 RGB smd AND my amp rack strip. no issues.

It turns out, from what I am told, venge was correct, the halos are wired into one ballast per headlight. Gonna work on figuring out a way to change that when I get them.
Thanks again for the info guys\

EDIT: What if I buy another inverter for each headlight housing? Than I can just plug one halo in to each inverter? Also, if I do that, would it be safe to snip off the extra CCFL plug and cap it so no problems? Since all I seem to find are dual inverters
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:24 pm

I wouldn't even mess with Cold cathode angel eyes and their wires or plugs. I know from when Cathodes were the **** that you DO NOT mess with the wires. Extending or shortening or anything like that. I'd just suggest to use them how they were meant to be used.
bad venge

Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:57 pm

The invertors are inside the headlights, to do what you want you will have to open the headlight(voiding the warranty) then have to drill holes to run the wire out and mount the second one external as there is likely not enough room to mount both in the headlight. then you will have to seal the opening to prevent water infiltration and seal the headlight you opened
xilyhir

Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:07 pm

bad venge wrote:
The invertors are inside the headlights, to do what you want you will have to open the headlight(voiding the warranty) then have to drill holes to run the wire out and mount the second one external as there is likely not enough room to mount both in the headlight. then you will have to seal the opening to prevent water infiltration and seal the headlight you opened

I'm fully aware of that, the headlights arent OEM anymore and the projectors i am custom fitting into the headlight housing. I wasnt thinking I would need to run the second inverter externally thank you for bringing that up it shouldnt be a problem. But would it be safe to do like i said and cut off the second unneeded connection from the new inverters?
bad venge

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Since I'm not familiar with what brand you have and what invertor they are using hard to say , most use plugs from the cathode to the invertor It's fine to unplug
bad venge

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:23 pm

You need a bosche style 30 amp relay available at any car /auto parts store ....
User posted image

Wired this way:
Pin 30 to a fuse going to the battery
pin 87 to the halos +
pin 85 to ground
pin 86 to + from the parking lights, use a small fuse to protect the relay
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:13 pm
Page 1 of 1