Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Using cigarette lighter wires for leds.Piggy backing off it

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:38 am

Vehicle: Buick Rendezvous 2002

User posted image[/url][/quote]

I am planning on adding some Led strips for a glow under the dash in my car. Seeing how a cigarette lighter gives off a constant 12 volts in a car.. Would I have to have anything else in between the wires and the controller? (Im adding rgb strips so adding a simple IR controller)

Basically I am wanting to strip the wires from the cig lighter and add wires going to the controller. Then heatshrink it back up so I am able to use the cig lighter and have the Led power "Piggy backing off it"
jmoddes

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:53 am

I mean.. I guess you an do that. for safety, I ALWAYS put a fuse in there.. even if it's a 3amp fuse. just extra potection.

be wise to solder connections too IMO.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:41 pm

You could do that, but depending on what you plug into the cig lighter while the lights are on may pop a fuse, or overload it or something.

I'd suggest just running a new power wire from the battery, or using a "add-a-line"
Expedition2012

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:52 pm

Yeah im picking up some fuses today.. and reason why I was thinking of this way is because getting past the firewall looks to be near impossible in my car. Also is it possible to just do away withe cigarette lighter because there is another one that is right next to it and I don't see a use for both. Also jmoddes im looking to add a 1 ft strip to either side and because im not familiar in this part but is that 3 amp fuse enough for that?
bad venge

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:09 pm

If the cigarette lighter is constant powered the lights will be on constant ...
If the car sits you cancome to a dead battery
bugs825

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:03 pm

Expedition2012 wrote:
Yeah im picking up some fuses today.. and reason why I was thinking of this way is because getting past the firewall looks to be near impossible in my car. Also is it possible to just do away withe cigarette lighter because there is another one that is right next to it and I don't see a use for both. Also jmoddes im looking to add a 1 ft strip to either side and because im not familiar in this part but is that 3 amp fuse enough for that?

3 amps are plenty!

Nathan
jmoddes

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:13 pm

Expedition2012 wrote:

1) like nathan said
bugs825 wrote:

3 amps are plenty!

Nathan

and 2)

the firewall is actually REALLY easy to get at and through for that vehicle. There is one HUGE boot that all you have to do is take a coat hanger and literally poke it through. (for your power wire). should take less than 3 minutes to have a line ran from inside to outside of car.

bad venge wrote:
If the cigarette lighter is constant powered the lights will be on constant ...
If the car sits you cancome to a dead battery

To Venge... that's why Oznium has all these new wonderful SUPER AWESOME switches :)

Here are the options I like...and own them all but don't use any...lol

Classic Rocker Switch smallest, easiest switch.
new power switch. So unique it's like you turned on your Xbox. Also need extra room behind it.

I like the ones WITH illumination because it just makes sure you know if they're on or off. that's all icon_biggrin.gif.

OOORRRRR

venge, something he COULD do. wire in a relay with his ignition for his ground where he only has them on when the key is in the on position. When ignition is off, lights are off, when ignition is on, lights are on. I can think of how to wire it my head.. but can't think of it by typing or drawing it up........... just an idea.
bad venge

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:40 am

His post lists NOTHING about a switch , just telling him if he connects directly and the cigarette lighter is constant powered , the lights will run constantly....
jmoddes

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:24 am

that's why we help him to make his thought into a good idea? icon_biggrin.gif
Expedition2012

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:53 am

Alright guys changed my mind I went and cut off the accent lights under my dashboard and added a wire to extend to my controller. Yes it has a switch. I myself am still a little new to wiring things in my car, but I believe in that one little saying called "Guess and Test." Hasn't failed me yet!

also jmoddes

"and 2)

the firewall is actually REALLY easy to get at and through for that vehicle. There is one HUGE boot that all you have to do is take a coat hanger and literally poke it through. (for your power wire). should take less than 3 minutes to have a line ran from inside to outside of car."

I am going to attempt to do that for when I install green leds in my grill[/youtube]
The time now is Mon May 21, 2018 11:00 pm
Page 1 of 1