Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Beefy LED Strips wired to dome and switch

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:21 pm

I know this topic has been discussed time and time again, but what I'm looking for is the best way to install 4 Beefty LED Strips (2-6' and 2-38") wired to the dome and a switch. I want the switch to control the functionally of the LEDs. I want there to be an 'always on' setting, an 'off' setting, and a 'dome' setting.

I would think I would use a 3-way on/off/on switch, which I have. I've read of people using/suggesting relays and diodes and hooking it straight to the dome, but which is best?? I would like the LEDs to mimic the fade effect of the dome.

If I'm correct, using a relay with take away the fade effect. I've looked at different methods to hook this up and one caught my eye, but I haven't seen it used very much which may mean it doesn't work....

This person used an on/off/on switch and ran all his grounds to the switch. He had all the LED strips powered to a constant 12V, I believe he used the battery with an inline fuse. The ground of the LED strips were wired to the middle prong of the switch. One side prong was run to the negative of the dome and the other side prong was run to a standard ground like a bolt in the floor or steel of the car.
This seems like an easy way of wiring. He claimed that the LED strips still have the fade effect of the dome. I beleive it was done on a honda civic coupe, if that makes a difference. To my noob eyes and ears, this sounds like it would work but I may be wrong.

So if any of you guys could give some advise and/or tips I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

Also...the car I'll be installing this on is a 2012 Scion tC
jmoddes

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:26 pm

I think what you want is a relay. just super easy and just have a switch if you don't want the lights on when the relay trips it. IMO

but relay stuff is the oznium member of the year award bad venge because of his awesome explinations.
TurtleTurtle_12

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Yeah bad venge seems to really know his stuff and iwas leaning towards using a relay, but i really wanted to keep the fading effect
bad venge

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:33 pm

I need to know HOW the fading effect is Accomplished ...
Varying ground potential or + voltage
TurtleTurtle_12

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:36 pm

It's just the stock fading effect. All the dome and map lights fade out when the doors are locked or the key is turned or when the dome comes on and left on, it fades out after a short period of time (approx. 15-30 seconds)
jmoddes

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:45 pm

this has been discussed in other threads. this will NOT happen with LEDs. LEDs take so LITTLE power to be lit, unless you're somehow going to make the line from your dome light to these strips be in such a low mA, you won't have a fading effect. The reason that you see the lightbulb fade is because it takes a LOT more energy to power. i'm pretty sure it was discussed where you're not going to make it happen. sorry man.

here's the thread
https://www.oznium.com/forum/topic24870
TurtleTurtle_12

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:53 pm

The fading effect was there with the stock halogen bulbs and ws still there when i swap them for LEDs, so i figured the stirps could be wired to mimic it but its fine if it can't be done
TurtleTurtle_12

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:36 pm

bad venge...i've looked at some of your posts about the relays and incorporating a switch and i understand the relay and how it works, but when trying to add in the 3-way switch to have the 3 functions, as mentioned earlier, that's where i hit a snag.

Which wires go from the switch to the relay or vice versa? and which go from the LEDs or dome to switch or relay? Or the constant 12v power source?
TurtleTurtle_12

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:40 pm

I believe i'll use the method of using the grounds to trigger when the leds light up...like this guy did with his pillar lighting.

https://www.oznium.com/forum/topic22331
bad venge

Post Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:29 pm

With a Relay All you need is a constant on/off switch and the dome would be off the relay.

I NEED to know HOW the fade is accomplished If it's ground or positive

You will need to get a voltmeter and measure the voltage to a constant ground close the door and see if the voltage stays the same (negative change) or changes (positive change)
Cyber Knight

Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:53 am

I'm guessing the Civic coupe you are talking about is mine? I did pretty much exactly what you are talking about. My car has a dome light and 2 map lights. They all light up when I unlock or open the doors and fade off after ~20 seconds. I rewired the map lights so one of the map light switches runs both map lights (can't just turn one on anymore, both come on but they are only 6" apart). This resulted in now having a spare map light switch to power the beefy strips (and my headlight and tail light LEDs). So now I can turn on the beefies with the switch and they will also come on with the dome light and fade off. I have no idea if the Scion can do the same using the stock switches.

Here's how it looks with me disarming and arming the alarm, you can see the fade effect.

TurtleTurtle_12

Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:53 pm

Yep you're the man! My setup was just for the Beefy Strips but without the head/tail light LEDs, but I do have a strip of blue LEDs which I may add to the grill. The interior lighting (front and back footwell and cupholder lighting so far) is all orange to match the gauges, radio, and HVAC controls.

The 2nd gen Scion tC just has a front and rear dome which can be used as map lights. So I think I'm going to go with a 3-way switch to control them cause I have an used switch already installed. I believe the install should be pretty straight forward with the hardest part mounting the strips and running the wires...connecting all the wires to the appropiate spot should be fairly easy.
TurtleTurtle_12

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:45 am

Got all the stuff I needed and tested the wire setup using the 3-way switch and the grounds..now all I have to do is install the strips and wire it up
Cyber Knight

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Looking forward to the end results!
TurtleTurtle_12

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:39 pm

It'll probably be a few weeks before i can do the installation...with work, school, and a busy trip in a few days taking up most of my time
jmoddes

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:03 pm

TurtleTurtle_12 wrote:
It'll probably be a few weeks before i can do the installation...with work, school, and a busy trip in a few days taking up most of my time

times infinity squared....
TurtleTurtle_12

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:09 pm

I wish I could just win that lottery already and just sit around and mess with leds and cars all day lol puppy_dog_eyes.gif
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 8:38 am
Page 1 of 1