Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

LED Turn Signal Question on motorcycle

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:37 am

I plan on buying some LED strips to use as turn signals on my motorcycle. If I wire them up without a rely, I know they will blink really fast, but will that cause any harm to the LED's or reduce the life of them anyhow? I kind of like having them blink fast, especially on the motorcycle but I don't want to have to replace them every year.

Thanks,
Dave
bad venge

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:13 pm

There is an electronic relay that you might be able to replace it with to elimimate the fast flashing, if you leave the stock bulbs it will not fast flash either.

There is no real harm in the fast flashing but some bikes almost go into a "flutter" that can confuse drivers
eselocoss

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks for the help.
Cyber Knight

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:28 pm

You just need some load resistors, ebay seems to have lots:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=2X+LED+Bu...al+Fix+Load+Resistor+Flasher+25W
Aken

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:24 pm

To answer your question, no, fast blinking will not significantly reduce the life span of the lights. They should blink happily for many years, fast or slow.

There are various universal turn signal relays you can get that support LEDs to remove the fast blinking if you don't want them. I'd go that route rather than load resistors - much less work.

http://www.customled.com/products/flasher_relay/flasher_relay.htm
The time now is Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:53 pm
Page 1 of 1