Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Noob lighting cargo area of xb

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:23 pm

I have an 09 Scion xB. The cargo area is pretty dark so I thought about adding some more light. I want something unobtrusive so I don't want to just stick a strip of led's somewhere.

Two things I've looked at here are the little chrome led holders. I thought about poking 3 or 4 holes in the headliner above the cargo area. Chrome wouldn't really be unobtrusive though and it is hard to gauge exactly how big/noticeable they would be. The black plastic ones would hide better, but don't seem to have reflectors to project the light down.

Another option is the little square prewired superbright leds. I could stick a few to the headliner and cut a slot to tuck the wires through. I don't know how well I could get them to stick to the cloth headliner though.

Either way, I would probably just connect them to the existing (worthless) cargo light to come on automatically with the dome.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Tat2Dragons

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:55 pm

Why not swap out the cargo bulb for an l.e.d. dome light.
https://www.oznium.com/led-dome/thin-led-domelight

Also, if you want even more light and want to keep a factory look, I'd suggest custom mounting two factory cargo lights and adding them to other areas in the cargo area. I was looking around and from what I could tell you seem to only have one on the left side. I'd add one on the opposite side and if you have enough room add one in the middle of your headliner to shine down. Oh and of course add l.e.d. dome lights to each of those newly added cargo lights.
sharpasaurus

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Thanks for the quick response and ideas Tat2Dragons.

I was already planning to replace the factory bulb with an led (along with the map lights in front). The cargo light is only a 28mm festoon bulb. I don't know how much room is inside, but the bulb cover is only about 1"x2.5". Also, it is only about 8"-10" off the floor so even a bag of groceries blocks all of the light. That's why I was thinking of a few lights in the headliner.

I don't see adding factory lights as an option since they are recessed, not surface mounted. I'm not sure I could buy a new housing. If I did, I would have to cut exactly the right shape out of the side panels for it to look nice. Maybe I could find something aftermarket though. I'm not sure about putting a second light on the right side anyway, since I hope to build a custom fiberglass sub enclosure this summer that fits against the right wall of the cargo area. Assuming I can figure that out (never done fg before) we'll have to see how much space is left.

Oh, and my bad, the cargo light doesn't automatically come on. It has a rocker switch. So I might wire it to the cargo light switch, or I might try the dome light circuit.
bad venge

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:03 am

The Small Chrome holders you mention only hold 5mm LED's and at the roofline would likely not be very bright at all.

I'd say 2 1 watt floods (one in each corner) would be very bright but not as hidden
sharpasaurus

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Do you mean these?

https://www.oznium.com/led-flood-and-spot-lights/high-intensity-led-floodlight

I wonder how much room is behind the headliner? Maybe if I cut a hole and mounted them behind the headliner they wouldn't stand out so much.

There is also a small square-ish cubby relatively high up on each side. I could mount lights in there and build translucent plexi or rice paper covers or something for a more indirect light.
bad venge

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:26 pm

They are really not all that big
jmoddes

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Tat2Dragons

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:25 pm

sharpasaurus wrote:
Thanks for the quick response and ideas Tat2Dragons.

You're welcome.
jdusty914

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:08 pm

I took one of these ( https://www.oznium.com/led-string-modules/square-channel ) in Cool White and replaced the factory light with it. Phil is getting rid of these current ones in order to make room for the new thinner version. This thing is bright. It works very well and I did not have to try to find another place for another light.
jmoddes

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:16 pm

jdusty914 wrote:
Phil is getting rid of these current ones in order to make room for the new thinner version. This thing is bright.

can't wait to see em!!! icon_biggrin.gif
sharpasaurus

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Ordered xB bumper vent lights, a replacement 3rd brake light, led dome replacements, and 2 of the 1W floods. Box arrived today! Now I just need time to do everything!

The domes and brake light are plug-and-play at least. icon_smile.gif
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 8:39 am
Page 1 of 1