Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Help with RGB LED strip installs for crown moulding lighting

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi, im still sorta new to the LED stuff, but am learning fast. I have been doing alot of searching and reading on the internet trying to pick out what bits of information i can among the ridiculous amounts of web pages just trying to sell stuff.

So here is my request for help. I made a quick sketch of a proposed install for my RGB strips around the ceiling of my room. the strip lengths will be roughly 15 feet on the long sides and 11 feet on the short sides. so i'm pretty sure i cant just daisy chain the strips together as that will make them too long. Also i found info on using an RGB repeater and also about dual feeding both ends of each strip. I came up with this plan but not sure if it will work. I need some input from ppl who know alot more about it than me lol.

My main concern is, as u can see from the picture there are 2 power supplies, each powering a total of 4 rgb strip "ends" each. Is it ok that strips 1 and 3 are powered by 2 different power supplies on each end? I know this is rather limited amount of info to start out with, but i already made sure the spec details are covered as far as amount of power supply, amps, controller, etc. Guess what i am needing help with is a good way to hook these strips up so they will work behind crown molding that will be installed just a bit below the ceiling for the lighting effect. The twist is i am planning on having all (or as much as possible) of the components (i.e. power supplies, RF controller, repeater, etc.) in the attic with the wires running through just 2 holes on 2 corners of the room (corners on the same side, not opposite. not enough room in the attic roof wedge to get to other corners) I know i will be running some wires along with the RGB strips behind the crown moulding, i understand that much if i can only use 2 holes. But this set up makes the entire thing kinda confusing for me i guess. Hope this makes some kind of sense. If u need more info, just let me know. And ty in advance for any help anyone could hook me up with. Thx!

Kenneth
kyrinth021883

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Oh, also a little tid bit, i have searched and searched for any website that seemed to have a forum with as much help as this one and haven't been able to find anything useful or as useful as this website. so thanks for that and also for letting me ask for some help here too.
bad venge

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:53 pm

OK your drawing is VERY confusing , SECOND you do not need both ends fed ,
I'd run one power supply and an RGB controller then 1 15ft , and then feed the 11 ft RGB then No connection to the other end

Then repeat the same for the other half the room

Next Choice is a LARGER Power supply and then a large controller that will power the entire 52 feet of strips
kyrinth021883

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Well, i cant go with 2 seperate controllers as i want all 4 strips to do the same thing, and be controlled with one remote. The reasoning for the dual feeding from both ends is the voltage drop on that long of strips causes the non-fed end to be dimmer than the fed end. and when installed around the room that would be a noticeable difference. Refer to the following link for more information on the reason for dual feeding.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-automation-...ing-rgb-led-flexible-strips.html

Doing the math, i could find a power supply big enough to push 4 strips that long (wattage-wise) but could not find a controller to handle that many amps and watts. Plus typically larger power supplies have large noisy fans in them and that would not be a good option for an install for a bedroom, granted the power supply would be in the attic, but i think it would be too noisy. So this led me to using 2 power supplies and an rgb repeater.

I think i will just have to try different things and experiment with the lights on the floor/bench to see what works best before i do any install naturally. Any other input would also be helpful. Thx!
jmoddes

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:59 pm

again...

bad venge wrote:
OK your drawing is VERY confusing , SECOND you do not need both ends fed ,
I'd run one power supply and an RGB controller then 1 15ft , and then feed the 11 ft RGB then No connection to the other end

Then repeat the same for the other half the room

Next Choice is a LARGER Power supply and then a large controller that will power the entire 52 feet of strips
bad venge

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:35 pm

I've installed commercial units that are running over 100 feet of strips You will have to find a COMMERCIAL supply AND controller ...

Don't mount the power supply in the bedroom , Use wire (it's cheap ) and mount it in the attic/basement then you have no noise issues
kyrinth021883

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:58 pm

I was already planning on putting the components in the attic with wires just running down into the room to the strips. Ok, i understand i can use a commercial supply and controller. But that doesn't help me. Do you have some resources or links to where i can find those COMMERCIAL products? all i find online when i search is the cheap Chinese products. Thanks for taking the time to help me. I wish i knew more about this stuff, but im still just learning.
The time now is Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:13 pm
Page 1 of 1