Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

led wiring for rv awning

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:20 pm

newbie with a question. I want to install a led light strip to my rv awning. The kit I ordered is capable of 110 volt or 12 volt. I have installed a cigarette plug into a 12 volt battery case and a 3 amp fuse. I want to wire led strip to power (male) plug that fits into cigarette lighter. This will be a 12 volt deep cycle battery that is portable. How do I connect the strip to the adaptor that sticks into the cig. lighter?

Thanks for any icon_rolleyes.gif advice or diagrams etc., as I am new to electricity, led's and wiring.
Chris

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:50 am

https://www.oznium.com/forum/topic20

Some nice diagrams in there. I am having a hard time understanding what you have, and would like to do.
bad venge

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:33 am

On a cigarette lighter plug the pointed end is the Positive the side terminals are the negative
Wire the plug into the LEDs accordingly
retired&bored

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks Chris, I know this has nothing to do with cars. I will try to explain better as to what I am going to try. I am retired and wife and I bought a travel trailer, we plan on boondocking primarily. This means camping off the grid, meaning no hookups like electricity etc. I have two 12 volt deep cycle batteries and am switching to two 6 volt golf cart type Trojan batteries which will last longer. I am trying to conserve as much electric draw as possible. I just purchased from China, LED lights for my interior lighting as they will draw only about 1/10 the amps, giving me more time in between charges. I have two Yamaha 2000 generators for charging and a schumacher automatic battery charger.
Now to the part I am asking about; I have ordered on e-bay a 5 meter IP65 5050 smp RGB water proof LED strip with a 24 key IR remote. This strip will be mounted either to camper wall just under the awning when it is folded up or possibly put it in the groove on the awning roller so that when the awning is deployed, the lights will be out away from the camper. I have read on Forest River camper forum and seen pictures both ways. Many have tied into their 110 volt system and many have connected to their 12 volt system. The light strip comes with connectors for both 110 and 12 volt.
I bought an oversize battery box from Walmart and drilled a hole in one end up front for a cigeratte adaptor kit, (female) part. It will be wired to the 12 volt battery that fits in box with room to spare. I will have a 3 amp in line fuse on the positive wire. The light strip draws appx. 2 amps.
Now my question is this. How do I connect the led strip to the (male) power adaptor. This is the type ytou buy to plug into cig. receiver to charge cell phones, laptops etc. which I will be doing also. Will the led strip have two wires and just solder or use butt crimped connector or what. I am not electrically minded. Just want to be able to plug light strip into battery at night for several hours and can recharge deep cycle next day or when needed. I know this is long but I don't know how else to explain it. Thanks in advance for any help, if you answer in complicated lingo I will still be lost ha.
bad venge

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:45 am

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3806057

Purchase this and wire as stated above , I'd install a 5 amp fuse in line as well to protect the wiring/leds
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:23 pm
Page 1 of 1