Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Wiring LED's to trunk lighting

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:06 am

So I recently bought some LED's and was going to do something else with them but now I think I want to use them with my car. I've only just started looking into this today so apologies if I miss something obvious or if what I want to do isn't even possible.

I have 2 LED strips ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271082790137?ssPageNa...IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 ) and was wondering if its possible to wire them to my trunk lighting? I have a 2008 ford fiesta van, theres 2 lights in the trunk that turn on when I open it. I don't really know that much about LED's but will the ones i've bought work if I wire them to the lights?
Cyber Knight

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:36 am

I think that would be very easy, the existing lights that come on already run off a 12v circuit. I would take apart that lighting assembly to access the wires feeding into it and just splice into that. I can't imagine those 2 strips adding much more than half an amp of additional current draw so that circuit probably won't get overloaded.
BoredAsCouldBe

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:48 am

So I could just take off the existing bulbs and splice into that?
The LED's won't overload or anything like that? :S

Yeah I know nothing about lighting or LED's sorry if thats a stupid question.
A-Ray

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:02 am

Cyber is right you should be able to just splice them into the existing wiring.

or you can order a pack of the dummy bulbs from oznium splice into that and have a plug/play option so that you didn't have to gut factory wiring.
BoredAsCouldBe

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:05 am

Thanks for the answers
What is a plug/play option?
Cyber Knight

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:46 pm

The plug/play option to get a dummy bulb which is just a device shaped exactly like the light bulb you have in place now. It has two wires coming out of it that you wire to your LED strip, then you just remove the existing bulb and plug in the dummy.

Grab your owner's manual and find out which fuse is for the interior lighting (may be more than one circuit). Pull out that fuse and see if the light goes out to be sure. The fuse will also have a rating in amps (5A, 7.5A, 10A etc). Most circuits have a few amps of room for additional components to be added without going over the limit. Contact the vendor of your LED strip to find out what the current draw is (LEDs have much lower draw than traditional lights). Measure the current draw with a multimeter (google that for a how to) then you'll know if adding the LED strip will put you over the limit.
BoredAsCouldBe

Post Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:13 am

Thanks for all the help guys,
I installed them and they look great! Way brighter than I expected at night
The time now is Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:53 pm
Page 1 of 1