Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

question about in line fuse / fuses see diagram

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri May 10, 2013 6:04 pm

So I'm getting ready to start wiring my switches onto the dash of a small fishing boat I just bought. The issue i'm have though is, if I run a power line with 1 in line fuse and then tap into it closer to the switches I will have a complete accessory failure if any one of my 4 accessories blows the fuse.

I'm wondering if what I drew in the following diagram would work. I cant risk losing power to my bilge pumps if lets say my fish finder or something else blows the main fuse, because those are my boats life line in case I take on water.

PLEASE excuse my horrible ms paint drawing. lol

oh, and the reason there is 3 wires is because I'm using the led rocker switches.

User posted image
jdusty914

Post Sat May 11, 2013 8:31 am

The fuse that is close to the battery is this an existing fuse on the boat? If not then I would not use that. I would find a fuse distribution block at a local parts place that has 4 fuses in it. It would take the main power wire and distribute it to 4 fuses that could be wired up to each switch. This way you can keep the block close to the battery and if one fuse blows the rest can stay on. Having 2 fuses on the same line does you no good. If the fuse close to the battery is a ore-existing fuse then I would not tap into it. I would run a separate wire to the distribution block and be done.
bad venge

Post Sat May 11, 2013 12:34 pm

Keep the main fuse closest to the battery sized for all 4 loads , Add 4 individual fuse sized for each load to prevent failure and protect individual loads
blue one

Post Sun May 12, 2013 8:38 pm

Ok, but if I get a fuse distribution block and wire it that way I'm going to have a bunch of wires going from the back of the boat to the front, which is what I did not want. Is there a way to do this without having all these wires come from the back towards the front? Or is there no safer way around it due to the fact that I need to keep the distribution block close to the battery?
bad venge

Post Mon May 13, 2013 6:26 am

NO use one main wire with fuse sized for all 4 loads then but the four fuses In front

Also you'll need a negative line as well Fiberglass boat ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Grade-Fuse-Block...;hash=item53f82b0f13&vxp=mtr
blue one

Post Tue May 14, 2013 1:26 pm

yes, fiberglass boat, small fishing boat that will seat four

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

what do you mean put the 4 fuses in front? I want to make sure all my accessories don't go down at the same time due to only 1 fuse being blown. if you wouldn't mind could you scetch up a diagram or just mod mine?
bad venge

Post Tue May 14, 2013 4:01 pm

Please look at the Ebay link I posted it's a BOAT SPECIFIC fuse block
You will run the positive to the one lug and the negative to the buss bar at the bottom
then connect each load to it's own fuse then negative to the buss bar
blue one

Post Thu May 16, 2013 6:24 am

So it wont matter if I dont put the fuse box within 18" of the battery? Or do I still need to do that too? Sorry, ive never used one of these b4.
blue one

Post Thu May 16, 2013 6:30 am

bad venge wrote:
Keep the main fuse closest to the battery sized for all 4 loads , Add 4 individual fuse sized for each load to prevent failure and protect individual loads

Ohhh, ok. so keep one Fuse big enough to handle all four loads closest to the battery, and then I could run my wire all the way to the dash and put the fuse box there and run it to the switches from there?
bad venge

Post Thu May 16, 2013 11:43 am

Yes one fuse on main line then positive and negative to the fuse block
blue one

Post Sat May 18, 2013 5:37 am

Hey, thanks for the help bad venge.
The time now is Thu May 24, 2018 8:12 pm
Page 1 of 1