Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Plexi Floor Panels?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon May 24, 2004 1:45 pm

Has anyone tried cutting out their floor boards and putting some thick plexiglass panels down? I was looking under my car, and aside from the support beam that goes down the center of the drivers side and passenger side floorboards, the floorboards aren't that thick. If you cut them out, put some nice looking color or something over the support beam so it looks nice inside the car, and then put some like half inch thick plexiglass panels down, I'd think it'd look sick. You can see the road under you as you drive, and if you have a kit such as ICELED and you have it going, while you won't see the tube, you'll see the light under your car and it would light up your floorboards nicely =)

Anyone ever done it or seen it done? How did it come out?
DragonJeep

Post Mon May 24, 2004 2:45 pm

Sounds like a PITA amd I dont think the effect would be worth all that work. Plus, you will be messing with the structural integrity of the body.
GoldenRod

Post Tue May 25, 2004 4:53 am

I've seen several cars where the road was visible from the driver's seat... icon_eek.gif Usually the floormat would cover the rusted-out hole.... I agree with DJ that it would be a PITA, but I think it would look pretty cool, and I don't think it would make a significant impact on the structural integrity of the car. Especially if you just do "windows" in the floor pan, and don't try to replace the entire floor with plexi or lexan.
pOrk

Post Tue May 25, 2004 10:22 am

I think it would be lame - I mean why would you want to see the road under your feet? Blah - too dangerous. You would lose structural integretiy especially if it were a unibody vehicle.
Brandon

Post Tue May 25, 2004 10:25 am

cloeset thing I've seen to this is ppl are starting to put subs in the floor. They cut out the hole and weld a small (<2ft) box under the car. Honestly I think it's cool, but I wouldn't ever do it. I wouldn't feel safe and it's a ton of work.
DragonJeep

Post Tue May 25, 2004 12:55 pm

...and the glass would get scratched and dirty as hell...for a show car it might be cool but I still think not worth the time it would take.
Bobby Lee

Post Tue May 25, 2004 3:02 pm

an easier (and safer) thing you could do is cut a rectangular section out of the floor carpet, then put in a piece of plexi that ha something etched in it (words, art, logo, etc.) then put some cathodes or LED on the edges of it. this should light up the design and not the rest of the glass icon_neutral.gif just an idea i had...
Mav

Post Sun May 30, 2004 4:40 pm

you wouldn't lose much structural integrity.. you're cutting out some of the floorboards which aren't really giving much of any support. You aren't messing with the frame. And you would be replacing the removed floor boards with like 3/4" plexiglass panels, so it will still have something to put your feet on. If anything, the plexi is prob stronger than the stock floorboards =P I suppose making it removeable with ease (maybe some sort of latch setup on the sides) would be a good idea so that you can clean the underside of it with ease.

You gotta admit though, it'd be kinda trippy to be driving down the freeway at 80 plus, and look down and see nothin but road beneath you =P Kinda scary hehe...
pOrk

Post Sun May 30, 2004 5:14 pm

Mav wrote:
you wouldn't lose much structural integrity.. you're cutting out some of the floorboards which aren't really giving much of any support. You aren't messing with the frame. And you would be replacing the removed floor boards with like 3/4" plexiglass panels, so it will still have something to put your feet on. If anything, the plexi is prob stronger than the stock floorboards =P I suppose making it removeable with ease (maybe some sort of latch setup on the sides) would be a good idea so that you can clean the underside of it with ease.

You gotta admit though, it'd be kinda trippy to be driving down the freeway at 80 plus, and look down and see nothin but road beneath you =P Kinda scary hehe...

Are you ******* serious? The floor is almost 60 % of the strenght in both unibody and space frame vehicles. Besides the doors and pillars - the floor is what holds it all together. And Plexiglass glued or screwed into sheetmetal will be no wear NEAR as strong as the sheetmetal in the floors. All cars are designed the way they are for a reason...
Mav

Post Sun May 30, 2004 5:28 pm

yeah.. they were designed they way they were to make us think more about how to modify them *grin* =P
The time now is Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:28 pm
Page 1 of 1