Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

how many amps do car batteries put out

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed May 26, 2004 10:40 pm

i want to know because my old computer speakers have a transformer that put out 12v 1.5a dc, which i could maybe use to put into an amplifier and car system parts, which would kick ass biglaugh.gif
DragonJeep

Post Wed May 26, 2004 11:29 pm

it varies...

anywhere from around 460 cranking amps all the way to the 1000s...the colder the weather, the higher the cranking amps you want.
alienyoungjr

Post Thu May 27, 2004 8:38 pm

sorry I can pretty much quarantee that, that transformer won't work. I know cause I tried to with a RadioShack converter that has a max output of 3amps and it keeps poping its breaker.
Brandon

Post Fri May 28, 2004 10:27 am

I'm confused why you're trying to do... but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it won't work
Mav

Post Fri May 28, 2004 11:54 pm

what I think you are asking is whether you can use that power supply to supply a car audio amp power for a car stereo in your home. The answer in simplistic terms is no. There are ways to power car audio in your house, but it would cost you much more than it's worth. Most amps draw 40+ amps at 12v DC. You'd need a transformer that would kick out 40+amps DC at 12v which you won't find that will be able to work very well off only a 15 amp 120v DC outlet. Not to mention it's not a dedicated 15 amp breaker. You are powering house lights and other equipment off that same breaker.

What stores usually do is have a few car batteriest behind the amps/stereo's with a trickle charger constantly charging the batteries. It gives them enough power to display their products and crank the music for 5 or 10 mins, then turn it back down and the trickle chargers are recharging the battery while there is a low draw on them. In addition, I would assume they have some sort of special transformer for the trickle charger that won't allow more than so many amps to be drawn through it, otherwise if you tried to pull too much power from it when the batteries are low on power and it's attempting to compensate, it could damage the transformer.
alienyoungjr

Post Sat May 29, 2004 9:19 am

Well I don't know who told you that but every time I go into an electronic store there stereo stuff is on for longer than ten minutes. and Trickle charges will not charge a battery fast enough to get it back to full power in a couple hours. Trickle chargers are really only used for solar powered items or hunting equipment but not much else. i pretty much know that their useing some kind a really expensive transformer to produce enough power to run most of them stereos at the same time and have enough power to do so.
DragonJeep

Post Sat May 29, 2004 1:09 pm

When I worked at Best Buy we had those things running all day. Its actually a "black box" that runs everything. Im sure it is some sort of pricey transformer kind of item in there. But it was definetly not a battery of any kind.
XSport99

Post Sat May 29, 2004 7:44 pm

i would say that a major store like best buy would have the "black box" transformer that you need for the heavy duty application, but in a smaller "mom'n'pop" audio store, i would agree with the car battery/trickle charge setup...

although they are running the stereo the whole day long, they don't have it very loud, and they only run one or two HU's/amp's/sub's so that the batteries don't die too fast... when displaying the setup to a customer, the rep will turn up the volume to show the quality, then turn it back down to allow the trickle chargers to do their thing icon_cool.gif
alienyoungjr

Post Sat May 29, 2004 8:16 pm

Man that just sounds stupid. When you find a location that does that then let me know. First of with even two HU and two Amps running off one battery will run it down in less than a couple hours. and the trickle chargers would only be useful when all the units are off.
Mav

Post Sun May 30, 2004 3:57 pm

When a HU and amp is on and turned down, it doesn't use much power. It won't drain the battery much. I can run my stereo in my car for over an hour, full blast, before my battery is low enough to where I can't start my car. If I turn the volume down to very low, I could probably run it all day and still be able to start my car that night. Keep in mind it takes a LOT of power to turn over an engine too, so even if I can't start my car on the battery, the stereo will still keep going for longer than that.

They will have a few batteries running in parrallel with a trickle charger on them. The volume will be turned up to demonstrate the product's potential, and then back down shortly after it. The volume will be down for most of the day except the few times someone turns it up. The trickle charger will also be left on all night. The advantage of a trickle charger is that it won't overcharge the battery, where as a fast charger running constantly would overcharge and possibly cause damage to the battery/fire.

Trust me on this one =P I fly remote control airplanes and helicopters. I know a lot about numberous types of batteries as I have to know what I'm using when I'm flying. Someone's life could depend on that battery in my helicopter/airplane.

As for the major stores using a black box, That wouldn't suprise me, but I sincerely doubt that black box is being powered off your standard 110v wall outlet with a 15 amp breaker. They are probably running a 220v outlet with a 30+amp breaker on it. Either way, it's not something you'd have normally in your house except maybe in your garage for an electric dryer. The black box I'm sure is not cheap by far, either.
The time now is Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:57 pm
Page 1 of 1