Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

LED w/o Resistor

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:38 pm

Question -- I was using a pair of separately wired LED's w/ resistors. One LED stopped working, so I tried it with a replacement resistor and that didn't help. It wouldn't light w/ the resistor inline. If I hook it directly up to 12V w/o the resistor, it works fine. I can't understand why, but what are the odds of burning up my car this way? I've got it running off an A/C-D/C inverter now seeing if it'll burn up. So far so good. Any ideas?
PTCruzr

Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:57 pm

Sublime0069 wrote:
Question -- I was using a pair of separately wired LED's w/ resistors. One LED stopped working, so I tried it with a replacement resistor and that didn't help. It wouldn't light w/ the resistor inline. If I hook it directly up to 12V w/o the resistor, it works fine. I can't understand why, but what are the odds of burning up my car this way? I've got it running off an A/C-D/C inverter now seeing if it'll burn up. So far so good. Any ideas?

As long as you have a fuse connected to it there's no chance of it burning up your car. Chances are it's on it's in the beginning stages of crapping out and you should replace it rather than push 12v into it. It's not like they cost a furtune anyway.
cheesy

Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:52 pm

this might be a dumb/obvious question, but is there a resistor already connected to it? (i.e. adding the other resistor would be doubling the resistance and not allowing enough current to power it)
Sublime0069

Post Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:04 am

Yeah, don't worry, I was intelligent enough to use one resistor at a time :O)

Just went to Radioshack and bought a pack of the same type, unsoldered it from the LED, and soldered the new one on. Touch the probes, nothing. Remove resistor and touch the probes to the resistorless LED and it lights. Go figure.
The time now is Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:44 am
Page 1 of 1