Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Exhaust cutout legal question.

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:14 pm

Say if you are driving down the road with a cutout and you have it open while going down the road. You get pulled over by a cop for a noise violation, but as you are being pulled over you close the cutout. Does this mean you can get of the ticket?
Moss

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:39 pm

If you committed a crime, you committed a crime, you can get the ticket.
Bobberrific

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:10 pm

If I turn my underbody kit on, and I get pulled over, but I turn it off when the cop walks up to my car...I'm ****, almost the same situation.
corvettecrazy

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:10 pm

like if you had one of the electronicly controlled cut outs?

you might be able to get off if you know your legal stuff. But I doubt it.
ProjectRAGE

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:15 pm

how loud is the damn thing in the first place to get pulled over? they could give to **** bout exhaust here unless you see sparks and hear the **** draggin all the way down the darn road..lol
alienyoungjr

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:08 pm

To make it short and sweet, come to Texas and you will get a ticket for it. Seeing that its required to pass all emissions tests and not having the exhaust hooked up correctly would be againset the law. So if you have cut-offs in Texas then its illegal wether you managed to pass the emissions or not. And then the emission testing facility that passed you will be put under investigation and possibly loose there license for allowing you to pass with the cut-offs installed.
corvettecrazy

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:04 pm

I'm pretty sure that having cut outs is not illegal. Its just using them on the road.

it doesn't seem logical to ban cut outs, especially since a lot of people use them on the strip.
jol102001

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:42 pm

Hey cerwin... my g/f brother got pulled over for drag racing, but also he has some pipes on and they got him for modified exhaust.... I didn't think it was illegal to have pipes, but he got a ticket, so cutouts might be illegal also.
Glowin91Celica

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:51 am

well in wisconsin they can.. the Adopting State Statue No. is 347-9(15) its is "Muffler Or Exhaust Cutout" it is a $102.00 citation with no points. Ive gotten 3 so far.. but i had 2 dropped down to $52.60 and i go to court again this wed for the last one..

oh yea.. anything that is not stock or OEM equipment replacement and makes your exhaust louder than stock is ILLEGAL.
MyFreakGSR

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:41 am

in Texas, your muffler just has to be under a certain decibal for it to be legal. Most cops around my area dont care about exhaust unless its just insanely loud! I had a pretty loud muffler on my old car and i was given a verbal warning for it. I had the car just shy of 2 years! (paid off, then wrecked) and I've been had 10 tickets (4 speeding, 2 insurance, 2 registration tickets, 1 liscense plate lights ticket (car is in junk yard, couldnt get evidence showing i fixed it)
FlinxSL

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:01 pm

^damn integras get pulled A LOT. im suprised i only got pulled once
9sdime9

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:07 pm

if you're talking about the electrically controlled exhaust:
http://www.dmhperformance.com/
then you're gunna get a ticket...if he sees that you've got a cutout installed at all, you're screwed. the point of them is that when the exhaust is goin through the muffler it isn't loud enough to attract official attention...but at the track you can run wide open
The time now is Fri May 25, 2018 7:06 pm
Page 1 of 1