Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Bypassing broken ignition switch.

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:42 pm

Long story short, my brother had truck sitting, someone tried to steal it, ignition is wrecked, he needs it gone, sells it to me for $50.

I was thinking of bypassing the ignition switch in this manner.
1 - Find B+ from ignition switch
2 - Run B+ to toggle
3 - Run four seperate wires from the other side of toggle (ecu, acess, misc, starter)
4 - Run three wires to individual relays (3, 40A bosch relays)
5 - Wire the ecu, acess, misc on their own relay
6 - Fuse each on the B+ lead on the 4 wires
7 - Run the fourth wire to a 15A momentary push button with starter wires on opposite side

The ignition switch is a pain to replace, you must remove the column, I am not going to do that, will this method of wiring work? Anyone see any problems? Thanks.
Goph

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:25 pm

just do it the right way, replace the switch or you could **** **** up if you make a mistake or have something on all the time and kill your battery with out knowing it.
Optika1 illushun

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:24 pm

what truck is it for?
getwired

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:46 pm

Goph wrote:
just do it the right way, replace the switch or you could **** **** up if you make a mistake or have something on all the time and kill your battery with out knowing it.

I wont be able to leave anything on you have to flip the toggle switch down to shut the truck off, it is one toggle switch on the acess, ecu, misc (not sure if there is a misc), and a momentary for the starter wires.

It wont **** **** up.

The truck is a 90 F150.
Mystique_Knight

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:49 pm

id replace it man, im sure it wont cost that much, then u know its back to normal
Optika1 illushun

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:14 pm

with my experence with f-150s just replace the switch. u mean the tumbler part? taking the column apart isnt so bad.
jol102001

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:56 pm

i'd say, just replace switch.
pontiac4evr_14

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:04 pm

i say **** it and do the getto switch. should work pretty good. I know some guys that wired up there figure 8 cars to toggles.
getwired

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:24 am

Optika1 illushun, My brother is two and half hours from me, when I looked at the column last time I was there, there did not appear to be any screws around the cylinder. It seemed to be a one piece mold. I looked the ignition switch up on Alldata and it showed removing the complete column. He had revieved estimates around $500 to have it fixed (I would assume a new colmn, but not sure).

pontiac4evr_14, any chance you could ask them on how they wired it?

Thanks.
alienyoungjr

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:17 am

If you don't plan on replacing the ignition column then you are just waiting for somwone to steal it. OR just use it as a daily driver and never add anything to it, cause if you do and they want whats in it then they will just drive the truck away and take there sweet ole time pulling stuff out.
getwired

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:26 am

Its just going to be used as a daily driver and work truck (until I get my grand am fixed), I don't plan on keeping anything of value in it, the latch on the back window is broken from when they tried to steal it. I will add a kill switch underneath the dash (not the most secure, easily bypassed, but most won't take time to find it). The truck is a 1990 F150 with sun faded paint, I bought it for $50, if it gets stolen its not the end of the world. I don't see that as being an issue though as I live in a small town and in the country. If they were smart enough they would have stolen it the first time, also the truck is sitting with the brake lines disconnected at his house so if they try to steal it again they will hopefully die.
Recon

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:40 am

it seems to me it would work fine

you could just get a battery disconnect, with a key switch and mount that somewhere
getwired

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:56 am

battery disconnect = to a key switch correct?

I will put the key switch on the B+ before everything else, I don't think it will have to be a high amp switch.
Recon

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:39 am

oh ok nevermind
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 8:53 am
Page 1 of 1