Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

To many lights for 1 switch???

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:39 pm

Like the topic says. I have some normal run of the mill toggle switches that i got from autozone.

Can i have to many lights on a single switch?

I know its a stupid question, but i was just wondering?

Justin.
alienyoungjr

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:43 pm

yes.
Bobberrific

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:45 pm

^
alienyoungjr

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:56 pm

Most toggle switchs from AutoZone can only handle 10 amps or 120 watts, You might be able to get 4 or 5 cathodes on it. You can always add light to that switch by relays so one switch will flip on several realsy which will in turn power all the lights beyond what the switch could handle. You can also hook about 500 LEDs to one of those switches with each LED being 20ma.
Aken

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:08 pm

You can have too many neons for one switch, but as long as you don't have EVERYTHING kinda ghetto-harnessed to only one switch, you should have no problems.
J.Pribb

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:53 pm

i dont have them all running to one switch. Heres the breakdown.

From my fused line from the battery it goes to a main power switch.

From the main power switch it goes to my 4 switches.

Now each swich currently has 5-15 neons/strobes/LEDs/UB.

Now since everyone has said no.. Would this overloading of a switch possibly cause some neons to flicker or seem dimmer than they are?

Im outta switch space, so i guess its time to upgrade to the mini swithces and double the number of them(switches).

Thanks for ur time everyone.

Justin
Aken

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:35 pm

You could always just find some switches that can hold more amps. Sounds like you're getting pretty close to maxing the power, especially ones that are running UB lights.

Shouldn't be too hard, just scour the internet. Or, if you want some plain black toggles, I know Radio Shack has some that are rated at like 25 amps.
J.Pribb

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:39 pm

So i just need switchs that can handle alot of amps. Ok, can do.
toddthecat

Post Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:24 am

Autozone has some light up rocker switches that are really nice that can handle 25 amps a piece. You might want to do what I do and get a little fuse block. I have a bunch that I sell. I've got 4, 6, and 8 way blocks that have the male blade in/male blade out and take the bigger ATC fuses. You can take a lead off the battery and connect it to a few wires that split to each circuit on the block. From there you can move out from the circuits...If you or anyone else wants a pic of the fuse blocks just let me know...
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:56 am

You can use a really small amp switch to control a really large amp circuit by isolating the switch with a high amperage relay.
getwired

Post Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:58 pm

yup bosch relay 40 amps, 99 cents.
Goph

Post Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:17 pm

7 neons, 4 cathodes, like 20 LEDs, whelens, and a UB kit all on one main switch then to many different ones is how mine was set up when i had every thing in my car.
Mav

Post Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:38 pm

Umm, Alienyoungjr, multiply that number by 100 or so... a 10 amp switch can handle 400-500 Cold Cathodes =P They draw very little power.

The only thing you will have to worry about drawing too much power for a single switch is if you have numberous underbody NEON kits installed. Keep in mind that I said Neon. Neon's draw a lot of power. LED's and Cold Cathodes draw very little power.

My suggestion to you is to have a few switches depending on what your purposes are and such. The most important thing to have seperate from everything else is Cold Cathodes. If you have your lighting on while you are driving (what lighting in your car you can get away with legally), you may want to be able to turn off all of your cold cathodes for radio reception reasons. Cold Cathodes cause problems with RF. I sometimes turn mine off because the radio stations don't come in clear unless I have excellent signal where I am, or I turn off my cathodes.

Here's a basic breakdown of current draw:

- Average LED UB kit: 4-5 amps

- Single LED with resister: 0.02 amps

- Cold Cathode: 0.05 amps (Will require additional power for a split second when turning on, but then will sit on at around this amperage)

- Neon: I'm not sure off the top of my head as I have never installed/used a neon kit before so I haven't looked at their specs. I just know they draw a lot of power in comparison.

As long as your switch can accomodate all of the items you've installed on it amperage wise, you should be just fine. Just remember when using cold cathodes, they do require a power spike draw of power for a split second, so if you have a bunch on one connection, even if their normal combined draw is only 5 amps (that's like 100 of them), they may power spike to 15 amps for a split second, popping the fuse or damaging the switch.
Goph

Post Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:53 pm

most people say .5 amps per each neon. I have a 15amp main fuse and i could have every light i had in my car on and it wouldn't blow. that would be 2 UB kits, 90 watt whelen and every thing i listed before.
Mav

Post Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:40 pm

.5 amps isn't that bad really.. that sounds a bit low for UB tubes though.. maybe 1 footers...
J.Pribb

Post Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:43 pm

I use a 15 amp fuse for all my neons, strobes, 2 ubs, and leds.
The time now is Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:59 pm
Page 1 of 1