Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

i hit 141.5dB's today :D

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu May 08, 2003 7:04 pm

today was the first time i went to get my system tested. and i hit 141.5 first test i only had 15 bux so tahts all i could get. i got 2 fusion encounter 10's in a sealed box and a fp402 which puts 50 watts to each.
Aken

Post Thu May 08, 2003 8:02 pm

**** if you can hit 141 with two 10s and 50 watts to each sub in a sealed, I want to know what I can get with 2 12s ported with 600 watts going to each puppy_dog_eyes.gif
Hub City Glower

Post Thu May 08, 2003 8:06 pm

i duno how i dun'd it tho. it seems so unreal. i want to enter a comp, and see what i can do. isn't there comps for certine wattages. like 250 and under or sumthing. :S cuz in the magizines i;v read people r only geting like 143's and 144's so i think i oculd get to that. and maybe win sum trophies. anyone else think so or am i way out of my league(sp).
Goph

Post Thu May 08, 2003 8:18 pm

I just want to see what i hit with my 1 12" in a sealed with 300watt
cheesy

Post Thu May 08, 2003 9:42 pm

i smell bs...

i wonder what i can get with two 15"s powered by a 1200 watt amp...
omega

Post Fri May 09, 2003 4:40 am

Hub City, the thing about going from your 141.5 to 144.5 is that with every 3 decibels you go up your twice as loud, so while it seems like a really obtainable number, it's actually using the system you have no and going twice as loud as that, so just keep that in mind, I've never been metered but I've always been tempted to try, so what'd they have to do, just play real loud?
Hub City Glower

Post Fri May 09, 2003 7:09 am

i dont know how it happend: icon_confused.gif i was expecting to get like 120. only b/c theres like no power going to them. they also said sumthing about my subs that instead of it hiting at like a mid range they hit really low. and thats when the dB meter picked it up. the shop has a kicker zr600 amp for sale. i was thinking about geting it. it puts out 600 watts right? but i still think sumthing is messed about me hiting 141.5. my friend hit 132 with a single 8 with 200 watts going to it. the box i got in a small generic box. it holds two 10 inch subs and the whole inside is open. it wasn't designed for my subs. maybe i was mic placement they set it on the dash is that where u suposta to?
silentalero

Post Fri May 09, 2003 8:30 am

nice.

well my systems

1500w 81000D and 2 audiobahn 1000w 12's
are hitting 152 tested. icon_biggrin.gif
omega

Post Fri May 09, 2003 8:50 am

yes the mic gets placed in the middle of the dash
Bobby Lee

Post Fri May 09, 2003 1:37 pm

i'll be entering my system (2 12" MTXs and a 600w American Pro amp), in a contest that my school is having. i have no idea what it will be, but i'll let you guys know when it's over.
cheesy

Post Fri May 09, 2003 3:58 pm

omega wrote:
Hub City, the thing about going from your 141.5 to 144.5 is that with every 3 decibels you go up your twice as loud, so while it seems like a really obtainable number, it's actually using the system you have no and going twice as loud as that, so just keep that in mind, I've never been metered but I've always been tempted to try, so what'd they have to do, just play real loud?

i thought every 3 decibels was a noticable increase (by the average human) in volume and every 10 dB was double the volume...or maybe not

all i know is it's an exponential (or logarithmic) correlation between dB and volume.
Hub City Glower

Post Sat May 10, 2003 7:45 am

in physics this year we learned that every 10 bells was a noticeable difference. which is why they use dB's. so we notice a difference every dB. i didn;t know that 3 dB's was 2 times as loud tho.
omega

Post Sat May 10, 2003 8:15 am

Well I'm not saying you guys are wrong, but I've been in car audio as long as I can remember, and that got told to me by a guy who'd been competing for over 10 years, but if I can find the physics behind it to actually disprove that, I'll tell him, otherwise I'll keep my mouth shut icon_smile.gif
Hub City Glower

Post Sat May 10, 2003 10:00 am

my physics teache writes text books so i dun think she'd b wrong :S the one she wrote is used province wide. only reason it isnt used nation wide is b.c its not dun haha.
cheesy

Post Sat May 10, 2003 12:40 pm

::whips out his college level physics books::

ok here's what i got from my textbook...

an increase in 10 dB is 10 times the intensity, but since its an exponential scale an increase in 20 dB is actally 100 times the intensity.

however, this is interesting:

Quote:
It is worth noting that a sound-level difference of 3dB (which corresponds to a doubled intensity as we just saw) corresponds to only a very small change in the subjective sensation of apparent loudness. Indeed, the average human can distinguish a difference in level of only about 1 or 2 dB

so you are partially right. The sound intensity is doubled every 3dB...BUT humans don't percieve that as being doubled, only a very small increase.
Hub City Glower

Post Sat May 10, 2003 2:04 pm

so humans notice a difference of one dB althought it is small they notice it. but every dB is double that of teh first one? or sumthing like that?
aphrodite_73

Post Sat May 10, 2003 11:49 pm

also, the mic isnt picking up how loud it sounds, it is how much pressure exerted by the subs. this is why a lot of times your highest spl at a show can barely be heard from the outside. it's all about the pressure. and keeping the pressure directed toward the mic in some way, still allowing room for the waves to expand.

144.8 w/2 jl 10w3v2's
cheesy

Post Sun May 11, 2003 1:37 am

Hub City Glower wrote:
so humans notice a difference of one dB althought it is small they notice it. but every dB is double that of teh first one? or sumthing like that?

yes humans can notice a change in level every 1-2 dB more or less, and even though 3dB more is double the intensity it doesn't sound like it
Hub City Glower

Post Sun May 11, 2003 5:41 am

ok so how is sounds really doesn;t have anything to do with spl. i wonderd y he was only playing it low. but if i put like 300 watts to each instead of 50 would the spl level go up? and around how much 1 or 2 dB's? what if i adgusted the bass boost on my amp right now i have it at about 4-5 and it goes to +18 would that make a difference?when it sayd +18 dB's on the amp does it really mean u can get 18 more?and what about all the other nobs on it. is there a way to set thenm to get better results or does each case require a lil different setup. i'm asking u guys instead of at the shop b/c i want to do it my self if i'm there they will do it for me then changre me for it. it wont b more then like 5 bux but i rather do it my self. also if i build a new box this summer is it better to build two ported ones, or one big ported one. or 2 small sealed? the box i got now is 2.5 wide 1 foot long(bottem).75 feet (top) and 1.5 feet high and the whole thing is open inside. with 2 braces in th space between the subs. i'm working on rattle proffing my car now stuffign every lil space with foam tapeing a lot of wires down. any thing i can.
cheesy

Post Sun May 11, 2003 10:46 am

First of all, the decibel isn't specifically a measurement for sound preassure level (SPL). I'm not exactly sure what the definition...ok here I looked it up
Quote:
de·ci·bel n. Abbr. dB
A unit used to express relative difference in power or intensity, usually between two acoustic or electric signals, equal to ten times the common logarithm of the ratio of the two levels.

so you can see that it is usually used to measure sound, but it can measure the power or intensity differences of anything. That's why the gain and bass boost on your amp are measured in dB...but they do NOT correspont directly to SPL.

I know ported boxes are usually louder than sealed boxes, but generally they're harder to design and harder to build, plus since they're tuned to one frequency they are only really good for one type of music.

Maybe you should pay the $5 to get it tuned but see if the guy can explain it to you so you can do it next time.

As for the rest of your questions, you would probably be better off asking on a specific car audio forum...like caraudioforum.com
Hub City Glower

Post Mon May 12, 2003 1:15 pm

thanks a lot. i'll ask them on a car audio forum liek u said.
cheesy

Post Mon May 12, 2003 2:31 pm

or try termpro.com
Hub City Glower

Post Sat May 17, 2003 7:11 am

i asked around and everyone said sumthing different. a nother thing i have looked around and i cant find what box size would be best for my subs. i have 2 Fusion FEW-10 enounter woofers. i'v looked online and in the product book. and it doesn't say anything. so does anyone know anyplace i could find info out or know anything about them?
omega

Post Sat May 17, 2003 8:05 am

call fusion, talk to their techs
Hub City Glower

Post Sun May 18, 2003 11:05 am

been there dun that only it was about there under car kits. the problem is they r in NZ (new zeland) well there head office anyway. and thats a really expensive bill after u wait on hold for a bit then actully talk to them. so i was hopeing sumone knew or atleast sumthing general or a place that has sum info on them.
TypeRBass

Post Tue May 20, 2003 2:36 pm

Aken wrote:
**** if you can hit 141 with two 10s and 50 watts to each sub in a sealed, I want to know what I can get with 2 12s ported with 600 watts going to each puppy_dog_eyes.gif

**** then i wanna know what im hitting with 3 12's and 1800 watts total..what am i hitting like 4759834759848db's? haha...i hope im at least in the 140-150's range...not sure...
cheesy

Post Tue May 20, 2003 3:58 pm

TypeRBass wrote:
4759834759848db's?

umm...i think that many dBs would disinigrate you, your car, the whole earth, and probably the whole universe.

actually I don't think our atmosphere can support SPLs above about 184dB (or something like that)
TypeRBass

Post Tue May 20, 2003 5:12 pm

cheesy9999 wrote:
TypeRBass wrote:
4759834759848db's?

umm...i think that many dBs would disinigrate you, your car, the whole earth, and probably the whole universe.

actually I don't think our atmosphere can support SPLs above about 184dB (or something like that)

i heard something like 78 dB can kill a cat...haha is this true? if so thats just ummm...wow i dont know what to say about that. ive heard of cars hittin at like 178-179dB..never 180 or above...i want to get mine tested. but dont know where to go to....anyone know of any places in the chicago area to get this tested at? ive gone to car audio stores and their like you have to go to a competition blah blah blah.
Hub City Glower

Post Wed May 21, 2003 8:18 am

i heard 170 can kill u. and a nother thing i was readiong a review about my amp. the power rateing was under rated. the review said that it was puting out my like 73 watts to each. but that still seems low amounts of power for that high of a rateing.
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:11 am
Page 1 of 1