Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Screeching sound under hood?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:20 am

when im accelerating, when I hit 2500 or 3000 (somewhere around there) RPM, I hear a screeching/squeeling sound coming from the engine..at first I thought it was a belt but mechanic says belts sound a lil different..anyone know what it might be?
also when I let off the gas it stops and rpm's drop about 500
Moss

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:28 am

Check your power steering fluid. Take it to a mechanic. I wouldnt drive it around makin g funny noise. Could be doing more damage. icon_cool.gif
stasis-

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:30 am

^i dont have power steering..mid mounted engine = no power steering
its also more of a high pitch screech compared to low power steering fluid (my other car used to leak the fluid)

Last edited by stasis- on Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total
TheBrick

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:31 am

maybe a pulley the belt sits on is too tight, check that out, You can do it yourself in about 5 mins.
ProjectRAGE

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:45 pm

its gotta be a belt...if it aint, i have no clue..a leak or some sort? icon_confused.gif
corvettecrazy

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:47 pm

first replace the belt.(I would repelce it despit what the mechanic says. Depending on the type of belt you could also greese/oil it.)

do you have AC? the Bonnie's AC clutch plates actually rub because the are no longer gapped and my parents are too *** to fix it. those plates sqeel like a mother ****. But on occasion they only squeel at certain RPM and at certain temps. Just a thought.
Optika1 illushun

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:50 pm

sounds like the bearing may be going back on one of the accessories. does it make the screeching when ur parked and rev it to the deginated range? also, it could be ur water pump...is there any fluid coming from the weep hole?
stasis-

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:06 pm

corvettecrazy wrote:
first replace the belt.(I would repelce it despit what the mechanic says. Depending on the type of belt you could also greese/oil it.)

do you have AC? the Bonnie's AC clutch plates actually rub because the are no longer gapped and my parents are too *** to fix it. those plates sqeel like a mother ****. But on occasion they only squeel at certain RPM and at certain temps. Just a thought.

well my mechanic is the guy the sold me the car icon_smile.gif and he was the owner for quite a while so he kinda knows a bit about the car
and i have ac, but the thing is, when its squeeling it wont accelerate very fast either..takes forever to get going

Optika1 illushun wrote:
does it make the screeching when ur parked and rev it to the deginated range?

i revved it up while i was parked and it sounded fine

anyone have any ideas based on whats going on?
PhantomFE3

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:21 pm

if your mechanic is so smart then ask him what the problem is, if he cant tell you id take it to a dealership or some other mechanic and have them drive it and grease up everything in the suspention and check all of the general maintenance things.

how long has it been doing it?
stasis-

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:26 pm

about a week, how much would it cost at the dealership?

oh and I checked it out and looks like my fuel injectors need cleaned too, how much does that run

edit:actually id like to replace the fuel injectors, how much for that?
Recon

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:18 pm

if it drops down to 500 RPM after reved, check your vacumn lines
stasis-

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:21 pm

^not to 500, it drops 500
Recon

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:30 pm

oh ic sorry
alienyoungjr

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:52 pm

it could be your alternator bearing is going out like my other accord did before it got replaced. To test it just get in your car and start and then turn every electrical thing on that you can while its running. If that gets it to squeel then get a pipe and put it on each on of the components that is connected to the belts, but don't put the actuial pipe on the ear just close to your ear. That way you don't ruin your hearing.
GlowinPontiac

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:11 pm

corvettecrazy wrote:

my grand am does this too......makes a rubbing/scraping/souealing noise......i have tried cleaning it but to no avail....guess ill have to take it to the shop or something cuz it's embarassing when im out cruisning and everyoine is looking at my car funny cus its makin noise.
stasis-

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:40 pm

alienyoungjr wrote:
it could be your alternator bearing is going out like my other accord did before it got replaced. To test it just get in your car and start and then turn every electrical thing on that you can while its running. If that gets it to squeel then get a pipe and put it on each on of the components that is connected to the belts, but don't put the actuial pipe on the ear just close to your ear. That way you don't ruin your hearing.

did your car do the same thing as mine? if so ill have the alternator bearings checked out tomorrow while im at mechanics
corvettecrazy

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:41 pm

GlowinPontiac wrote:
corvettecrazy wrote:

my grand am does this too......makes a rubbing/scraping/souealing noise......i have tried cleaning it but to no avail....guess ill have to take it to the shop or something cuz it's embarassing when im out cruisning and everyoine is looking at my car funny cus its makin noise.

all a mechanic has to do is regap the plates, which should take like 20 minutes if the AC is easy to get to.

The bonneville you must take off the compressor because there is not enough room for the gapping tool. This means they must remove the belt and that is a ***** within itself.
GlowinPontiac

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:03 pm

my ac pump is on the bottom....fairly accesible...ill have to have it looked at someday.
alienyoungjr

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:07 pm

stasis- wrote:
alienyoungjr wrote:

did your car do the same thing as mine? if so ill have the alternator bearings checked out tomorrow while im at mechanics

it squeeled mostly at certain rpms and when the alternator was put under a big load like my a/c or that kind of stuff, but it did squeel like crazy and still continued to work till the day I got rid of her.
TheBrick

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:18 pm

Check the pulleys they are prolly too tight.
corvettecrazy

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:23 pm

GlowinPontiac wrote:
my ac pump is on the bottom....fairly accesible...ill have to have it looked at someday.

so is the bonnevilles.
PhantomFE3

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:56 pm

GlowinPontiac wrote:
corvettecrazy wrote:

just tell everyone you have a supercharger

icon_cool.gif
GlowinPontiac

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:35 pm

yeah but most of the time it's a nasty scraping sound.....like a supercharger full of sand!!
Optika1 illushun

Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:10 pm

any updates on this fool?
stasis-

Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:07 am

no clue yet..starting to **** me off too..gona call dealerships tomorrow to see how much itll cost to get it looked at
alienyoungjr

Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:43 am

did you get a pipe and put it next to all the components linked up by the belt? if not then do it and while you are listening through the pipe have someone rev the engine until its starts sqeeling, and when it starts tell them to hold it at that rpm for as long as possible and then repeat that for each component. Make sure you put an inch or two between your ear and the end of hte pipe so not to hurt your hearing.
PhantomFE3

Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:06 pm

be careful not to get the pipe caught in the belts, itll slice your head off
stasis-

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:42 pm

found out what it was..EGR Valve Gasket..what a shocker
PhantomFE3

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:47 pm

wow, i never wouldve guessed that, but i can see where in the upper RPM and under load it would cause a pressure increase
stasis-

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:01 pm

yea they said the noise was from air escaping the vacuum or something..sounded like a belt to me icon_smile.gif
<3 the diagnostic machines
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:24 am
Page 1 of 1