Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

FiberGlass

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:03 pm

To keep things simple I want to only duplicate my dashboard
I pretty much want to clone it myself so I can replace the factory dashboard

Please give me advise on materials and procedures
I'd like to practice on a few boxes/speaker boxes to get the hang of it

please advise
thanks!
jol102001

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:23 pm

Great tutorial... also, just google
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:27 pm

First of all, simple and fiberglass dashboard do not belong in the same sentance.

You will need to build a frame, wrap it with fleece, and then start the long process of glassing and finishing.

You can practice making the frame with cardboard and once you have the right shapes and sizes, make the real thing out of wood. Medium density fiber board (MDF) would work well.

This is a very basic since I'm not sure how elaborate you want the dash to be. Are there many curves & intricacies, or is it just one large flat surface?
Moss

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:35 pm

www.mp3car.com they had a section dedicated to tutorials and fabrication.
KrayJay Bone

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:47 pm

Phil wrote:
First of all, simple and fiberglass dashboard do not belong in the same sentance.

You will need to build a frame, wrap it with fleece, and then start the long process of glassing and finishing.

You can practice making the frame with cardboard and once you have the right shapes and sizes, make the real thing out of wood. Medium density fiber board (MDF) would work well.

This is a very basic since I'm not sure how elaborate you want the dash to be. Are there many curves & intricacies, or is it just one large flat surface?

lol i knew you would say that but i will remember simple and fiberglass dont really go together

well my dash wont have many small curves and i want to keep it really plain and as flat as possible
except in the center/stereo area
i want to pretty much duplicate my factory dash board only changing the center area stereo and a/c controls and cig-lighter and ashtray
-------i'd like to eliminate the ashtray and lighter then move the aircontrols and add extra space for more mobil electronics to install like the head unit

I plan to do a lot of practicing before wasting wood but im gonna read these tutorials lots and more
but you seem to have school or experience with fiberglass
stasis-

Post Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:57 pm

start with something simpler, like a sub box if you need one
Moss

Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:50 am

Why not just re-design the are with the h-vac controls and stereo.

Leave the rest of the dash stock. Will be easier. and you said thats the only thing you were gonna change any how.? What kinda car got pics? icon_cool.gif
KrayJay Bone

Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:51 am

yea im gonna upload some pics to my server today
well id like to change the color of my dash
so i would have to duplicate the whole dash board
but what do you mean only remove the center area where the stereo and a/c controls are?
stasis-

Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:43 am

KrayJay Bone wrote:
yea im gonna upload some pics to my server today
well id like to change the color of my dash
so i would have to duplicate the whole dash board
but what do you mean only remove the center area where the stereo and a/c controls are?

you can just change the center area and paint it all
9sdime9

Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:40 am

There are actually two ways to do this:
One will yield a cosmetic cover, not really suitable for replacing your entire dash (thats the easier way though)
The other will (as Phil said) require not only fiberglass, but woodworking skills as well.

The cover i was talking about is simply a mold of your dash, you can do this by covering the dash with masking tape and then tin foil and layering fiberglass mat and resin...sorry if i'm not explaining well, i'll add more later icon_smile.gif
KrayJay Bone

Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:14 am

9sdime9 wrote:
There are actually two ways to do this:
One will yield a cosmetic cover, not really suitable for replacing your entire dash (thats the easier way though)
The other will (as Phil said) require not only fiberglass, but woodworking skills as well.

The cover i was talking about is simply a mold of your dash, you can do this by covering the dash with masking tape and then tin foil and layering fiberglass mat and resin...sorry if i'm not explaining well, i'll add more later icon_smile.gif

understood
well i think i will go with changing the center of the dash only
im just not sure where to start besides removing cd player and compartments and a/c controls and cig-lighter and ashtray

when I customize it i only want the cd player to go back and the a/c controls

my main concern is to customize the center area of my dash but no destrol the dashboard , i'd like to be able to reinstall all the factory parts later when trading or selling the car
9sdime9

Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:06 am

I would say find something else that you don't care too much about to practice on...practice going from prep all the way through to final product, so you know how much work it's gunna take and how to work with the materials.
TheBrick

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:57 am

if your redoing the entire dash, why not make it different from stock rather then just making it an exact duplicate. It seems your making alot more work for yourself then what is needed for what you plan to do.
KrayJay Bone

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:22 pm

yea exactly^^^^
i dont wanna give up on this but seems like a ton of work and mistakes
but thats how i learn when teaching myself and practicing

so id like to only redo the center area so i can insert additional mobil electronics like a DVD Player and a TV in the center with the cd player
and some how among all that make room to keep the air controls

1st step i'll probably uninstall the "center area" of the dash (((which contains cd player and air controls))) and make a mold of it with mesh or some sorta of flexable hard wire

2nd step i'll put the "center area" of the dash back together

3rd step i'll use the mold i made of the "center dash" as practice and come up with several designs for some sort of "Media Rack" to hold the cd player and air controls and in addtion Dvd Plarer and T.V.

4th step is unknown.........depends ion how sucessful I am icon_rolleyes.gif
Moss

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:23 pm

Take your time and take pics. icon_cool.gif
TheBrick

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:26 pm

yes i would like to see pics also. I plan on playing with fiberglass one of these days so when i do get my ride I am kind of experienced.

Good luck and like moss said take your time.
The time now is Wed May 23, 2018 10:58 pm
Page 1 of 1