Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

how to make street lights turn green?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:48 pm

is it possible>? my friends are saying its the strobes lights that make the lights turn green. I thought it was the go button? So can any one explain it for me? or tell me what FREQ i need to do it icon_razz.gif
Aken

Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:54 pm

It's dumb and illegal. Therefore, no icon_twisted.gif
StrtGlowerZm180

Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:56 pm

those strobes on the top are for emergency vechicles so they don't have to deal with crossing traffic since a lot of people don't stop or get out of the way anyway. I don't know where you'd find the frequency. the emergency vehicles have clickers for it.
Knox

Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:03 pm

They had the light switchers on ebay a while ago. It's like a little box on the dash or something.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:19 pm

Oooh I spent 3 hours last night researching that. And I was looking into it a few years ago as well.
Bigsammoe

Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:19 pm

iam just trying to prove my point thats all nothing dumb nothing illegal
justin

Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:25 pm

along the same lines....

theres supposedly a circuit out there that will trip off fuzz busters as u drive past... get everyone to slow down as u fly by ;)

justin.
jol102001

Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:13 pm

^^some cb's do that for mine icon_rolleyes.gif drives me crazy.
Moss

Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:04 pm

I have a friend who works in the wires and lights dept in my city we have alot of those I will have to ask him. icon_cool.gif
Recon

Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:19 pm

i saw a show on it actually.. they are honeycomb strobe lights..
at least in Nevada.. they arent illegal at all icon_twisted.gif
02BlueStang

Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:52 pm

Its a little box that you mount that communicates with the stop light signals...The problem is that as soon as you push that little button, the light is immediately green therefor giving other motorists no time to stop or prepare for the light.....People around Washington have them but they are few and far between....They are for emergency vehicles only and they are now illegal in the state of Washington....Its a felony to have one in your vehicle punishable with up to a 5,000 fine and 2 years in prison I believe....I would just be patient and stop for the light....late at night though you can flash your lights since the lights are no longer on timers and are on "trip" so that people dont have to wait.
alienyoungjr

Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:58 pm

Yep, alot of the lights are on strobe sensors and some are even on a special freguency receiver. In my area they are bringing in camera sensors and gettin rid of the embeded sensors in the cement, and those cameras like to respond to flashing lights easier cause i can get them to easily change quicker by flashing my brights, its awesome but they aren't everywhere and i don;t always have the privacy to do that cause i don't want anyone else catching on to what i have learned about those new camera sensors.
PhantomFE3

Post Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:01 pm

kinda confused as to what the hell your talking about, but ill give it a shot.

i know in some places they have scales under the roads so when you drive up, like late at night and the light is red, it will tell a car is there and turn it green for you. others use infrared, just like how some toilets flush themselves for you
Floyd

Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:55 am

PhantomFE3 wrote:
kinda confused as to what the hell your talking about, but ill give it a shot.

i know in some places they have scales under the roads so when you drive up, like late at night and the light is red, it will tell a car is there and turn it green for you. others use infrared, just like how some toilets flush themselves for you

nope no scales are used...here check it out!
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question234.htm
Knox

Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:20 pm

I like the new camera sensors. Late at night when nobody is out the light will change for me before I even have to come to a complete stop. It's just nice to have that. icon_biggrin.gif
9sdime9

Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:03 pm

There was a company that was selling the wireless units that the fire / police use to change lights...but it's true, they don't allow other motorists any "yellow" goes straight to red for them....causes lots of accidents, i think the government was trying to make it illegal to sell them to the public.
NeonStyl

Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:11 pm

Not all states use those "traffic control" devices for emergency vehicles... however, I have heard of a proposed system for local (Florida) emergency vehicles that uses a GPS unit mounted in each emergency vehicle. The vehicles location is monitored via a control center and the lights can be changed or routes modified as they see fit from this control center. Since the vehicle is constantly transferring this information back to the control center, there doesn't have to be any more extra devices added to the vehicle or traffic lights themselves. This would drastically cut down the chance of someone "frauding" the system. However, this system was largely recommended down here because the traffic lights often get knocked down or damaged due to the many hurricane's and tropical storms we get. So, loading up the traffic lights themselves with high-tech gadgets isn't such a great idea.

L8R,
pOrk

Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:18 pm

NeonStyl wrote:
Not all states use those "traffic control" devices for emergency vehicles... however, I have heard of a proposed system for local (Florida) emergency vehicles that uses a GPS unit mounted in each emergency vehicle. The vehicles location is monitored via a control center and the lights can be changed or routes modified as they see fit from this control center. Since the vehicle is constantly transferring this information back to the control center, there doesn't have to be any more extra devices added to the vehicle or traffic lights themselves. This would drastically cut down the chance of someone "frauding" the system. However, this system was largely recommended down here because the traffic lights often get knocked down or damaged due to the many hurricane's and tropical storms we get. So, loading up the traffic lights themselves with high-tech gadgets isn't such a great idea.

L8R,

Running a system like that would be very expensive, though. You figure you would need to hire on 3 full time people, so atleast 1 person is there 9 hours a day throughout all 3 shifts. Then, that person would have to be trained and able to operate all the computer systems used to moniter all the lights. Bah, I bet it would be a 3 or 4 person job to get one vehicle through all the streetlights of a downtown area alone. Im rambeling, blah.
NeonStyl

Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:22 pm

pOrk wrote:
NeonStyl wrote:

L8R,

Running a system like that would be very expensive, though. You figure you would need to hire on 3 full time people, so atleast 1 person is there 9 hours a day throughout all 3 shifts. Then, that person would have to be trained and able to operate all the computer systems used to moniter all the lights. Bah, I bet it would be a 3 or 4 person job to get one vehicle through all the streetlights of a downtown area alone. Im rambeling, blah.

Agreed... I never said it was very logical or cost-effective icon_lol.gif. Those two terms rarely ever coincide with government programs icon_wink.gif J/K. I'm just relaying what I've read as a proposed plan for this area.

L8R,
jol102001

Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:31 pm

Well today on the news i was just listening in and they correlated the lights to where when you hit a red light the next red light will be like 2 1/2 miles down the road.... so your good for a while. Also they have sensors not matter what time of day or night it is... if there is no one in the turning lane then it skips the green arrow.
potato pusher

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:15 am

Most big cities use the infrared sensors and simply equip emergency vehicles with them...and of course civilians get them too even though they shouldn't. If i remember correctly galls.com sells them (to public safety only biglaugh.gif ) for somewhere around $200 a unit
SuBXeRo

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:02 am

they are called opticom emitters
Moss

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:59 am

I just talked to my buddy in the wires dept.

He said 3m or Three M makes a special strobe that flashes at a certain rate that is picked up by sensors attached to the arms that go over the road on the traffic light post. Its a tottaly seperate strobe that is not involved with any of the lightbars or anything. he said with out that strobe it doesnt work, for my town.

Also that it gives a very short amount of yellow time before it goes to red to stop traffic for the fire engine. This is for my town it could vary. icon_cool.gif
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:14 pm

If anyone in public safety needs one, I can get them for around $600 icon_eek.gif They are the real tiny ones biglaugh.gif
Recon

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:16 pm

lol
from whelen?
jol102001

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:45 pm

Lets see.... $600 for me never to stop at another redlight again in my life... might cause a couple of pileups.... and may end up going to jail for a long time.... i'd rather not. But the first line sounds pretty good.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:55 pm

For those in Cali, $1800 for a lifetime membership to the CHP 11-99 foundation supports families of fallen CHP officers, school for their children, etc.

And they send you a license plate frame, a nice metal badge engraved with your name, and a nice leather holder for your registration.

= say good bye to speeding tickets

So for about $2,400 you're all set vampv.gif
Recon

Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:46 am

lol
jol102001

Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:10 am

Phil wrote:
For those in Cali, $1800 for a lifetime membership to the CHP 11-99 foundation supports families of fallen CHP officers, school for their children, etc.

And they send you a license plate frame, a nice metal badge engraved with your name, and a nice leather holder for your registration.

= say good bye to speeding tickets

So for about $2,400 you're all set vampv.gif

NICE... wish they have something like that down here

My g/f dad was supposed to take care of that ticket i had (22 over the limit so i HAVE to go to court) He brought it in to the DA (which he knows well, but it all depends on my driving record, which is horrible) and he hasn't gotten back with us and my court date is like next week. I'm starting to freak out.
Adam

Post Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:32 am

Hi, I work in EMS. Its a legit product, IF YOU ARE LAW ENFORCEMENT. Galls sells em, but requires identificaiton first.

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised that those lights that ARE equipped with a bypass sensor triggered by such a device, start recording when they sense the signal and record everything.

So those dumb enough to use one, probably have their information recorded onto tape.
PhantomFE3

Post Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:52 am

i wonder if they can get one that automatically turns the light RED instead of green, im sick of trying to catch a light with little rice burners and just get a green every time
jol102001

Post Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:49 am

PhantomFE3 wrote:
i wonder if they can get one that automatically turns the light RED instead of green, im sick of trying to catch a light with little rice burners and just get a green every time

X2
Moss

Post Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:14 pm

icon_rolleyes.gif
GlowinPontiac

Post Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:40 pm

Moss wrote:
icon_rolleyes.gif

Agreed
The time now is Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:59 pm
Page 1 of 1