Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Fuse within 18inches of battery. why?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:29 pm

Ok im running a line to my battery for some cold cathodes and leds in my car. I was going to run the wire threw the firewall then into my fusebox that is on side of my drivers side dash. I was goin to split the wire and put in 2 more 5 amp fuses in the box that way they are easy to acess. But then I read that you need it as close to the battery as possible. Or within 18inches. I figure its gota be atleast 3 to 5 feet of wire to my fuse box will that be a problem???

Thanks, Joe C
Moss

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:36 pm

If you run a wire off your battery fuse it with in 18 inches of your battery.

If you wire through the firewall dont bother with the fusebox. Just split the wires and run them to where the cathodes are mounted. You are making more work than needed. If your fuse blows you just pop the hood and change it under the hood no need to play around with the fuse box. icon_cool.gif

Last edited by Moss on Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total
alienyoungjr

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:36 pm

that won't be a huge problem but a fuse closer to the start of the wire will help protect most of the wire from being shorted out. If you put it 3ft away from the battery and the place a fuse, well then that 3ft of wire can short out and there is nothin on the line to stop it like a fuse would be. Its more for safety. So just don't fight just do it.
king_midas

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:57 pm

I have a great spot for all my fuses/distribution block. I hide them in my glove box. the battery's just on the other side of the firewall
Mav

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:21 pm

The firewall could have sharp edges that could cut into your wire and short the wire before the fuse box, causing a fire in your car and making that fuse box in your glove box absolutely useless.
Moss

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:56 pm

Not if the wire is routed properly thru a grommet. icon_cool.gif
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:01 pm

that's your risk. it's like no effort to put it in... but car insurance won't cover it if your car torches. I've seen a car aftermath of that, and it's not funny. grounding your car battery thru the frame gets hot enough to melt the copper wire (1083C)

it's your car
Moss

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:04 pm

This series of thread is soo confusing. Its not that hard to hardwire something to a battery. icon_cool.gif
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:46 pm

2 incidents i hear of.

A, person gets into car accident, fuse is in trunk, wire shorts to gnd in car frame (pinched thru grommet) car catches on fire.

a person has fuse in trunk. resistance of the wire at high amperage increases allot. fuse blows from amp shorting, but after allot of time. melts fuse block, and does extra damage to amp
Moss

Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:25 pm

I agree is just the way he wants to install confuses me. I think he has gotten in straight in the other post too. I always fuse very close to battery. icon_smile.gif
The time now is Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:36 pm
Page 1 of 1