Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

lambo doors?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu May 26, 2005 11:56 pm

has anyone experimented with the aftermarket hinges or know anything aside from the doors open differently?
i have read some stuff about it, but never heard from someone who installed them.
jol102001

Post Fri May 27, 2005 12:13 am

I only think one guy on here has lambo doors and he doesn't visit regularly.
taylor192

Post Fri May 27, 2005 5:28 am

I've been looking into Lambo doors for a long time now. Ther's some great sites out there explaining it, and the process does seem simple, just very involved. Definitely nor for an amateur mechanic.

You have to take off your front fenders and doors. Roll the front fender edges (actually easy, just takes a bit of practice). Install and level the doors. No very difficult, just requires some help and some knowledge of how to take everything apart.

VDC kits are available for many makes and models now, hopefully you have one of them, it'll make it so much easier. The universal kits look like a PITA to install.

Here's a link to a site I was dealing with until I realised how hard my car would be: http://www.wickedbodies.net/
Glowin97x

Post Fri May 27, 2005 9:54 am

they are playedout anyways
jol102001

Post Fri May 27, 2005 10:23 am

playedout and i've heard some kits aren't very strong
Rags

Post Fri May 27, 2005 1:43 pm

well, the only info i know about them is how to do it, the lift assist kits or straight hindges, and where to get them. i just dont know anything about the results and how durable they are. i want to get them, except for 1 problem: i own a 4 door.
stasis-

Post Fri May 27, 2005 1:48 pm

ive seen them on 4 doors..they put them on the front 2
A-Ray

Post Fri May 27, 2005 2:04 pm

I know of a guy who has them, that is about it. He has a 4 door with them on the front only. Personally I don't like lamob doors on a 4 door.
Chris

Post Fri May 27, 2005 2:48 pm

hmmm lambo doors in front, then suicide lambo doors in back! icon_lol.gif

coooooool
Knox

Post Fri May 27, 2005 4:36 pm

No lambos on a 4 door is my rule. puppy_dog_eyes.gif

Now something that is cool on a 4 door is rear suicide doors. icon_cool.gif
stasis-

Post Fri May 27, 2005 5:23 pm

dont put lambo doors on a cavalier anyway, rags..for the price you can get a bodykit or something that will make it look alot better
Mav

Post Fri May 27, 2005 6:51 pm

Stay away from cheap Lambo kits. I've actually helped install one before.. When I say cheap, I mean saving $100 from going to one designed for your vehicle specifically to a "universal" that's supposed to work with your car too... This guy spent like $1200 for the kit alone, and he should have spent the extra $300 for the kit designed for his vehicle. The universal kits don't take certain things into account, such as design of the door panels inside the car.

This guy got it, it said it worked with his car.. it didn't.. his door panel has some spots near the hinge that stick out (where you can put a component speaker inside of it etc..), and the way the lambo door worked is you opened the door about 3-4 inches, and then it slid up... well 3-4 inches and sliding up, you hit that part of the door panel on the frame of the car.

Another thing to keep in mind when doing it.. Body parts don't line up as well as people think they would.. If you were to go to your car and unscrew your fender right now and remove it, and unscrew the hinges for your door and remove them.. then go put them right back on, and line up all the bolts so the marks on the hinges are exactly where the bolts lined up before, and the marks (the score marks from where the bolts left indents) in the fenders were all lined up with the screws, nothing would line up like it did before. Your door would probably be dragging too low and you'd have to slam it to get it to close right, or it might be clipping the fender now. There is a little bit of flexibility to those parts.. especially the fender. Once you remove it, you've contorted it, and you will now have to play a contortion game with it to get it back exactly the way it was before. You may not visibly see it, but you'll notice it when things don't line up properly after re-attaching it.

Be prepared to spend a lot of times working on getting it lined up just right.. especially if you've never done it before.

Last but not least, don't try to half ass it.. This guy tried having someone else install it.. they refused to follow the instructions and tried to do it without removing the fender. Took him twice as long, he jacked up the paint on the bottom of the door, and in the end was unsuccessful.

If you're even a little worried about your abilities on it, take it to a body shop... You're already paying $1500 for just a hinge and a cylinder basically.. you might as well have them install it too.
Fayt

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:20 am

Don't skimp on parts. If you get it (which would look pretty *** on a 4door, or cavy anyways,) expect to pay close to $1200-$1500 for a GOOD kit that won't break and/or bend your panels.
Rags

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:00 pm

reiterating the front 2 lambo and rear 2 suicide, that could look cool on anything; also the fenders need to be shaved down to get it to work and after all the hassle i would end up needing a paint job as well...black would be good. add some 2.5% tint, bags, and 19s lexani chrome and i would have a nicely pimped ride. however i am not about to drop 5 k on a 4 door cavi, i am actually thinking about a down-payment on a hayabusa.
02BlueStang

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:22 pm

theres a video of a mustang opening up with lambo doors....search on google im sure you can find it...might be on Mrbodykit.com i cant remember....

Basically on aftermarket applications the door opens out about 6" when you open the door (like normal) then it swings upwards into the air so it clears the fender......For the hinges themselves you are talking a good 1200-1500 and DO NOT SKIMP ON PARTS....if you can get a group buy together most shops will lower the prices...some guys just did a group buy on another forum im on and the kit got down to 800 bucks each icon_eek.gif .....couple guys installed them and they were about 4-5hrs per door but they are all installed and no one has had any problems....good luck with whatever you choose to do to the car icon_smile.gif
Fayt

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:05 pm

Rags wrote:
reiterating the front 2 lambo and rear 2 suicide, that could look cool on anything; also the fenders need to be shaved down to get it to work and after all the hassle i would end up needing a paint job as well...black would be good. add some 2.5% tint, bags, and 19s lexani chrome and i would have a nicely pimped ride. however i am not about to drop 5 k on a 4 door cavi, i am actually thinking about a down-payment on a hayabusa.

All that would cost a bit more the 5k. Bags alone is 3000 for an 8way system. Paint job is 2-3k, and lambo kit is 1500. All that is around 9-10k
Rags

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:14 pm

Fayt wrote:
Paint job is 2-3k, and lambo kit is 1500. All that is around 9-10k

a paint job isnt 2-3k when your uncle has a shop and will do it for nearly nothing. also doing some pricing you dont need to buy bazooka bags to move a cavi, and the 1500k lambo kit price is also determined by installation.
Fayt

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:21 pm

You need air compressors, and tanks. Those are what costs the most. Unless your ok with getting 2-3 gal tanks and having them move the car a couple times before having to refill. That price on the lambo doors is for a good kit, not one that will have the hinges break on you. I'd go with quality from a name brand, instead of a knockoff one that has no warranty.
And sorry, didn't know you could get a paint job for free. Not many people have somebody they know that can do it for them. It still would be expensive. 19" Lexani Chromes? I have a feeling those would be 1500-2000 PER RIM. But, they don't have any prices on their site.

Last edited by Fayt on Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total
Rags

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:24 pm

yea, but again, i dont really think i want to drop that much money on this car. its got the glow i need and thats it. hey, i forgot to mention tinting it would cost a good 100$ proffessional. i think i will just stick to buying a new motorcycle, because lambo doors would be good for only so long, i need this car for the winter too.
Fayt

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:28 pm

Rags wrote:
yea, but again, i dont really think i want to drop that much money on this car. its got the glow i need and thats it. hey, i forgot to mention tinting it would cost a good 100$ proffessional. i think i will just stick to buying a new motorcycle, because lambo doors would be good for only so long, i need this car for the winter too.

Yea.. don't want to put that much money into a show car only to have the rust eat through it (guessing Ohio has bad rust problems). Plus, reselling a show car (with that much custom work done too) is extremely hard. The only real way is to trade it in, and then the dealerships won't give as much either because of the difficulty in selling it themselves. If you did all those parts, you'd be better off parting them out when/if you come around to selling it.
Rags

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:32 pm

or just getting fire insurance on it and lighting it up one day. but first make sure its appraised. but yea, in ohio, cars like eclipses and talons that are black usually look like **** in spring because the left over salt hasnt completely run off and people drive them and they rot quick. my underbody is alright tho because i treat it with some wierd gunk i got at napa, just remember if you ever cruise up to ohio in your nice eclipse, to wash it constantly because our weather blows. icon_wink.gif
Fayt

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:41 pm

Meh, I'll stay in pasadena ty. Is there even anything to see in ohio?
Rags

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:46 pm

spinfest 2005. thats about it, its the only event for cars except for little or underground stuff. i really dont know much about it, but its being sponsored by midwest klowin kustoms and when i was at walmart the other night with my lights goin one of their representatives was there and gave me a personal invite to be in the show. she was mostly supprised that i do all the work myself, and she wants me to do her grand prix, and i have to say that if it wasnt for blaze and my subs i wouldnt have got noticed. so i really have to thank phil and to show my gratitude, i gave her ozniums card, because i have a few in my car and she said she wants to buy from here, which will hopefully help him out, also when i go to spinfest, i am going to definatly have an ozzy sticker on my car somewhere. anyways i am done advertising for phil and spinfest.
The time now is Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:58 pm
Page 1 of 1