Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Rain X Ultra Wax?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:51 pm

I was able to get a free kit from work and I'm thinking about trying this stuff instead of adding another coat of the wax I'm currently using. Just wondering has anyone used this stuff before?

User posted image
Bigsammoe

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:59 pm

heard mixs reviews but then agin all waxs kinda refelcts rain!

i like mothers hot wheels waxs! plus u get a free hot wheel and it smell pretty!

biglots=$5 cant go wrong for huge thing of waxs and a hot wheel!

do a comperison waxs half rain half other good advertising!
taylor192

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:42 pm

There's only 2 considerations for waxes:
Meguiars
Zaino

If you have a dark color and good paint (few swirls, scratches, no oxidization) then nothing beats Zaino, yet it costs $100 and takes hours to apply (yet you only have to apply like once a year then update which takes no time at all)
Otherwise Meguiars is a very good and cheaper solution. NXT!
Mav

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:46 pm

don't go cheap on your wax =) I take it to a place to have it professionally done once every year. Does the job well =)
taylor192

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:28 am

Mav wrote:
don't go cheap on your wax =) I take it to a place to have it professionally done once every year. Does the job well =)

You'll spent $150-200 for a professional detail. You could buy the tools and learn to do it yourself for $200-300.
Mav

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:36 am

but it only needs to be done once per year, and it takes hours to do it right.. so in all reality it's not all that expensive. And if you get the good wax, you're gonna pay a fortune for it anyways.
taylor192

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:38 am

Mav wrote:
but it only needs to be done once per year, and it takes hours to do it right.. so in all reality it's not all that expensive. And if you get the good wax, you're gonna pay a fortune for it anyways.

Depends were you live.

A good wax should last 2-4 months (depending on how many times you wash and how much it rains) before it needs to be re-applied. If you follow the right washing and waxing steps then all that will need to be done is to reapply and you're done. Otherwise you need to polish first. In that case either you have to buy the right tools or pay someone.

Meguiars NXT costs $20 USD and can be applied by hand. A single bottle should do 20 coats. That's $1 a coat, or $3 every 4 months if you put 2 coats on to start and update it later with a fresh coat. If your paint is in good shape this is all it has to cost.

I easily have $1000 CND of cleaning/detailing products and machines, yet the average joe can do it by hand with the right products for $50-100.

I can wax my entire car in 30 mins and 10 mins of that time is waiting for the wax to cure. Its practice and knowledge. Washing and drying takes 30 mins and getting everything setup and put away another 30 mins. So a wash, dry and 2 coats takes me about 2 hours. This weekend I washed/detailed my engine bay, fixed some rock chps, washed, polished, glazed, and waxed my car in under 4 hours. Sure it takes time, effort and practice, yet we're all car nuts or we wouldn't be chatting online about cars, are the cars we love not worth the effort?

If you've ever seen what a cheap detailer can do to a finish you'll never pay someone to do it. If you're gonna get your car professionally detailed, do yourself a favour and don't be cheap about it.
Mav

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:58 am

I'm not cheap about it =) and unfortunately I can't really fix rock chips on my paint.. I have a 3 stage paint (pearl white) and recently got a few chips that went down to metal.. sigh... But I take it in once a year to a professional detailing shop that the dealership uses to have all of their cars cleaned. They get every nook and cranny you can think of, you don't find a speck of dirt when they are done. It costs like $130 for them to do it, but it includes washing, polishing and waxing, cleaning the interior and armoralling etc.. but it's worth it. They do a good job, and I can just drop it off and be on my way, come back later and it's done. I hardly have enough time to myself as it is, so this helps =) and I can handle $130 a year to do it. If I had to do it once per year, it'd take me numberous tries before I got it just right.. it wouldn't be worth the learning process to me unless I was doing friends cars as well as expecially your first few tries when you're getting used to using a buffer etc.. you can accidently buff too much and cause damage. If they do it and cause damage, it's on them to repair it =)
taylor192

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:03 pm

I understand you Mav, if you don't have the time its easier to pay someone else to do it. Just once per year is just to restore it to new, you still have to spend a few hours every 3-4 months and apply another coat(s) of wax at the very least.

For a white car I can see why you wouldn't care as much. Very hard to get that deep shine on light colours, sometimes I wonder why I spend so much time detailing my car.

Being afraid of buffing is a thing of the past if you get a random orbital buffer. Its very hard to do a bad job with, and the very natur eof the random orbitting prevents even the beginner user from burning the paint.

Your detailer fixes pant chips and polishes for $130 USD? Most detailers I've looked into don't fix chips for that price.
Mav

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:13 pm

I didn't say anything about fixing chips.. I said my chips couldn't be fixed cause it's a 3 stage paint.. not as simple as dabbing some paint in and buffing it out. The chips I have are to the metal.. it's not just a light scratch in the exterior coat...
taylor192

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:39 am

Mav wrote:
I didn't say anything about fixing chips.. I said my chips couldn't be fixed cause it's a 3 stage paint.. not as simple as dabbing some paint in and buffing it out. The chips I have are to the metal.. it's not just a light scratch in the exterior coat...

Do you fix them at all? I've got the same problem with my paint, any fix will never match cause of the metallic paint and clear coat, yet I still fix them cause I don't want my baby to rust.
Mav

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:53 am

I haven't fixed them yet.. they just recently happened, but I've got to do something about it simply for the reason you mentioned.. don't want it to rust.. especially living 5 miles from the beach.
taylor192

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:32 am

Mav wrote:
I haven't fixed them yet.. they just recently happened, but I've got to do something about it simply for the reason you mentioned.. don't want it to rust.. especially living 5 miles from the beach.

Yours are going to be much easier to fix and hide. White and black are the easiest colours to fix rock ships for. Buy the Autovisuals pen and some Langka - fixing chips was never so easy!

The only thing I can suggest for white is to lightly sand the edges to remove the dirt that will be trapped. For lighter colur cars thats usually the most noticable part after fixing a chip, any dirt trapped in the edges.
The time now is Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:42 pm
Page 1 of 1