Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Running through firewall on 99 Eclipse

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:37 pm

Anyone know where theres room to run a wire to the battery through the firewall on a 99 Eclipse GS? My explorer had a grommet right next to the pedals so i just ran it through there but on the eclipse there doesnt seem to be anything to run it through. Also, under the hood there doesnt seem to be a lot of room to run a wire through or anything.
Mav

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:44 pm

If it's anything like the newer ones, you'll need to make your own hole. The hole on mine was in the center of the vehicle behind EVERYTHING.. you would have to completely gut the center console, the dash, the air ducting.. everything to get to it.

What I actually did with mine since there wasn't a lot of space to bring it through/work in under the dash with everything in the way is I drilled a hole in the side wall on the drivers side, pulled the cable through there and inside the side fender, and then into the engine compartment via an opening that went from the engine compartment to the fender. I filled the hole with silicone big time to make sure the wire doesn't get cut through in the wall there. Worked for me =)
Rags

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:29 pm

isnt there like a grommet or rubber thing to run it through?
Mav

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:51 pm

I just stated, the only one is in the center of the dash behind EVERYTHING =P
Rags

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:57 pm

sorry, i dont like to read everything ppl say...... icon_redface.gif
Mav

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:09 pm

how can you make accurate statements if you don't research what others say before you open your mouth? =P
Rags

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:11 pm

easy, i cant, i just ramble on and usually say the same thing as everyone else, i really dont know anything about 1999 eclipses, it is a 99 right?
Fayt

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:21 am

Cut an X in the steering column boot and run all your wires you need through there. It is the easiest, and better then running it around the hood and under the weather stripping.
Mav

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:00 am

actually I didn't have to run under weather stripping.. the fender was a big open bay, and then there was a big opening about 2 inches down from where the hood closes between the fender and the engine compartment, so I just took it right through there =) Ran a 2 guage power line too =)
Fayt

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:02 am

Yea, but 3g eclipses are completely different then 2g's. The body style is completely different from a 2003 and 1999 :-\
Mav

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:04 am

True.. as I said, wasn't sure how different the inside was.. as far as I know the insides look fairly similiar and it's pretty much the same car.. the body parts on the outside are just bent differently =P
Rags

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:21 pm

Fayt wrote:
Yea, but 3g eclipses are completely different then 2g's. The body style is completely different from a 2003 and 1999 :-\

which one do you drive icon_wink.gif
i personally think if he wants a really good opinion, he should talk on a eclipse forum and ask about the 99s. sure he probably could just run it through the gromet, but until i see the inside of his car, i really cant give him any really good way of doing this. every car is different, every driver is different. this is why some people are just happy driving around in little civics with neons plugged into the ciggarette lighter, they dont feel a need to do it right biglaugh.gif
Mav

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:31 pm

Drilling a hole is never a bad method.. so drill a hole, slip a grommet in there and be done with it =)
Rags

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:36 pm

that works, until you need more wiring through it, icon_confused.gif
definately a method of choice
got_rice1320

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:26 pm

I'm kinda scared of drilling a hole through the wall. Would it be ok to just run stuff off the cigarette lighter power supply? its got a 15amp fuse and i'm not runnin a lotta neons, just some led's and cathodes. I know its better to run a power wire straight from the battery but would it be ok with just the splicing? Oh yea and also, i was gonna replace the stock system with new speakers and a sub. Where do you guys run the cable to the amp? Do you just run it through the cabin or something?
Rags

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:14 pm

the only thing that you should be worried about with drilling a hole is if there is any electronics behind it, your ****. see if there is a way through it. the wires for the gauges have to get to the dash somehow.
Fayt

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:37 am

I drive a 99 GST.
Just about every wire in a 2g is run through one big ass grommet, in the steering column boot. That is why the most popular, and easiest, is to just make an extra hole in the boot.

Are you running the subs and speakers off of the stock headunit or an aftermarket one?
If 'the cable' means the power cable, just run it from the engine bay, along the drivers side molding (the carpet can be lifted up more then likely and stuffed in there, then have the modling click back on), then under the rear seats and into the trunk. If it is the remote turn on cable, just run that from either the remote cable on the aftermarket system, or find a wire that gets power once the car turns on, and splice into that.

I wouldn't run off of the cigarrette lighter. It is small wiring and very restrictive. Your power cable SHOULD be almost 3-4x bigger, it won't supply constant power. So if you don't mind having your amp turn on and off while driving, go ahead.
Rags

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:36 am

load some pictures
it will give him a better idea.
Mav

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:05 am

got_rice1320, if you're just running some LEDs and Cold Cathodes, you can use an open circuit in your fuse box. drop a fuse in it and pull a line off of it. If you are installing an amp, you absolutely have to pull it directly from the battery. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Don't be afraid, just do. And do it smartly.. look twice before you drill. Look on both sides, see where you are going in and where it's going to come out on the other side. You want to make sure that the wire will be clear from your pedals and that you have a good path to get it out of the way of everything once the wire does come through, and you want to make sure there is nothing on the other side that you will drill through. Then drill it!

As for amp power cables, you pull the trim along the floorboards and there is usually a little wire tray that runs all the way back between the carpeting and the frame.
got_rice1320

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:53 pm

thanks guys. I'm probably going to start working on it this weekend. Someone told me about a grommet on the passenger side so i might use that otherwise i'll just drill a hole for it. thanks for the help...i'll try to post pics up once i finish.
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:11 pm
Page 1 of 1