Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Wires through firewall

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:06 pm

I have no place that I can get through my firewall as of now. I have one hole where my amp power cable runs. I dont have a drillbit to get through it either...even if i did, the only place where i would be able to drill through is like directly behind my dash. I dont really want to take my dash off because I am unsure about putting everything back in working order. The most I would do right now is take apart the console...but yeah. I just used the pwoer cable from the cig. lighter to power my two cathodes.

So i guess my questions are:

1. How many cathodes can I run off of that cig. lighter's power cable?

2. What is the best way to run a wire so that I dont have it showing a lot, and without drilling a new hole in the firewall, which I cant, dont have the bit for it or the space.

3. What is the best way to get the wire from an underglow tube in the back of my car, to the front.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am deciding that I should get some advice before winging it like I did last time...it worked, but I had to drill a hole in the floor and it just got messy...but haha yeah...not going that route again.

Thanks ahead of time.

steve
Silentdawn

Post Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:28 am

no answeres?!!!
steven_mckenz

Post Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:00 am

1. ZERO - Do not use the stock wiring in your car for anything. Bad things could/can/will/would happen if you do. It's not hard to find a hole in your firewall. Look for where the wiring runs for your fusebox, or other things in your firewall. They have grommets underneith that are rubber insulators for wires to run through. There's usually always a spare one that's not used. Cut a hole in it and run wires through. Now, I know you're going to say that you've already looked and there wasn't any, but it takes time. It took me and a friend about 4 hours to finally find a hole and get wiring through the firewall. It took me about 4-5 hours to do the same for my cousin's Grand Am. It takes time. Give it what it needs.

2. See #1.

3. For UB kits, you run the back underbody tube wire alongside either of your side tube wires, depending on whichever side is easier for you. Just run it over the axle on either side, zip-tie it to one of the side tubes, zip-tie it to the other wire, and run it along-side that wire.

Hope it helped!
Silentdawn

Post Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:33 am

ok so for number 3....what is the best way to get the wires into the car from the tube? up to the front then through the firewall?
02BlueStang

Post Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:41 am

yea...either that or just drill a hole but make sure you use a rubber gromet to fill the hole etc so that there are no holes in the firewall......Easiest way is to cut a hole in the current rubber gromets that are already in use and then just make sure you seal them back up after the wires are through icon_wink.gif
Silentdawn

Post Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:48 am

02BlueStang wrote:
yea...either that or just drill a hole but make sure you use a rubber gromet to fill the hole etc so that there are no holes in the firewall......Easiest way is to cut a hole in the current rubber gromets that are already in use and then just make sure you seal them back up after the wires are through icon_wink.gif

yeah the gromets that are used right now are all the way behind the dash, i did find a hole that goes into my wheel well on the drivers side then a hole from there that goes into the engine bay. can i use that?
02BlueStang

Post Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:13 am

as long as no moving parts nor heat will get to the wires then you are ok.....Just be aware that the wires are away from the shock towers etc if you are using the wheel wells....Moving parts and wires=bad decision icon_wink.gif
02BlueStang

Post Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:14 am

Im in the same spot as you though....I have a foglight harness to wire up with a new switch to the interior of my car...I have yet to look at my firewall since my last install but I know I'm desperate for room in that thing now.....After the body shop gets done with my bumper though I'll be in the same predicament as yourself lol
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:10 pm
Page 1 of 1