Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Pimp my ride

Author
Message
Silentdawn

Joined: Apr 12 2005
Posts: 1481
Location: Hockessin, Delaware


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:32 am

i was wondering...whats the catch with Pimp my ride on MTV.

I would love to have a ride pimped...lol there has to be a catch though...


PLEASE MTV PIMP MY RIDE!!!
stasis-

Joined: Jun 05 2004
Posts: 4517
Location: Texas!


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:45 am

you kinda have to live in cali for one thing
Silentdawn

Joined: Apr 12 2005
Posts: 1481
Location: Hockessin, Delaware


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:46 am

yeah but like....what do they have to pay...cant be free
95camryGT

Joined: May 27 2004
Posts: 265
Location: n0va


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:52 am

only fee they pay is the small one to place their horrible horrible car on ebay
stasis-

Joined: Jun 05 2004
Posts: 4517
Location: Texas!


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:53 am

why not? look at the massive product placement they use..they must get a huge discount on prices for such a big endorsement..then ratings brings in more than enough money to make a profit
Silentdawn

Joined: Apr 12 2005
Posts: 1481
Location: Hockessin, Delaware


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:59 am

hrm thats true...
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Joined: Feb 11 2003
Posts: 7719


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:35 am

I'm sure the products put on the car are all free, sponsored by the companies that give them the products.
Silentdawn

Joined: Apr 12 2005
Posts: 1481
Location: Hockessin, Delaware


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:38 am

Hey phil, pimp my ride? pLEEAASE!
jol102001

Joined: Feb 12 2004
Posts: 5815
Location: Lake Charles, LA -- USA


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:54 am

to me pimp my ride is kinda ghetto..... , but they have some good ideas
Silentdawn

Joined: Apr 12 2005
Posts: 1481
Location: Hockessin, Delaware


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:17 am

haha yeah ok. puttiung monitors in a bodykit is a good idea eh? just a waste of money....3 PSPs...waste of money....3 xboxes....waste of money...
Avernus

Joined: May 13 2005
Posts: 483


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:23 pm

i can see (ps2, xbox, and psp) MAYBE because then you could system link in a car. that would be kinda tight to be playing the guy in the passenger seat from the back seat.
Neon Mike

Joined: Feb 13 2003
Posts: 470
Location: Chelmsford, MA


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:33 pm

Actually you don't need to live in Cali. They do accept cars from all over. How ever the catch is that they choose the cars on a lottery system. The cars have to meet certain criteria. There is a fee to enter your car into the drawings and if you don't make it in or you change your mind, the fee is non refundable. That's where they get some of the money for parts they use. Then factor in what other companies are willing to donate or give discounts on. That's why the ideas can seem a little bit tacky at times. It all really comes down to them working with what they have.
stasis-

Joined: Jun 05 2004
Posts: 4517
Location: Texas!


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:53 pm

Neon Mike wrote:
Actually you don't need to live in Cali. They do accept cars from all over. How ever the catch is that they choose the cars on a lottery system. The cars have to meet certain criteria. There is a fee to enter your car into the drawings and if you don't make it in or you change your mind, the fee is non refundable. That's where they get some of the money for parts they use. Then factor in what other companies are willing to donate or give discounts on. That's why the ideas can seem a little bit tacky at times. It all really comes down to them working with what they have.


so when they film the show they drive it all the way to cali?
looks like all the cars are coming from cali icon_confused.gif
banned from SG

Joined: Jul 01 2003
Posts: 5127


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:19 pm

i emailed them trying to get my car on there, i sent pics and everything. the reply that came back was a lil something like this

"Dear Scott,
Too bad you dont live in southern Cali"
pOrk

Joined: Jan 03 2004
Posts: 8391
Location: Milwaukee Wi


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:51 pm

After seeing the quality of their work, I wouldn't want them touching my car. Their body man doesnt know ****, and their electronics guy LOVES low end products.

The interior guy, the mexican cat. He is good ****, but the rest of those guys have no taste or pride whatsoever.

FOR EXAMPLE: THe body work on the VW van. They pop rivited sheet metal over a rust hoel they had cut out, and instead of welding the metal up and doing atleast SOME metal finishing they just slapped bondo on it and called it a day. First time that thing sees a temperate change of more then 10 degreez that **** will crack and fall off. WEAK

MTV, DONT PIMP MY RIDE
Brandon

Joined: Jun 04 2003
Posts: 4189
Location: St. Louis, MO


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:04 pm

I'd let them touch my car only because it's free work. But as soon as I could, I'd rip that **** out and ebay it b/c I don't like what they do either. But they do put some money in the cars.
Squeak

Joined: Mar 20 2005
Posts: 206


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:35 pm

I hate how they don't put on side skirts
banned from SG

Joined: Jul 01 2003
Posts: 5127


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:11 pm

Brandon wrote:
I'd let them touch my car only because it's free work. But as soon as I could, I'd rip that **** out and ebay it b/c I don't like what they do either. But they do put some money in the cars.


bingo
Rags

Joined: Apr 21 2005
Posts: 3527
Location: dayton


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:22 pm

they do actually do it all over because there was a drawing in cleveland that was "supposed" to be done. whether it happened or not is beyond me. but i wouldnt let them touch my car because i dont let anyone touch my car. i have done every mechanical, electrical, body, and interior work on the car since i got it. half the fun is installing it yourself. then looking fly at the shows is great. also, they choose pieces of **** to be on that show, because the cali yuppies they put on the show "need the car to be done" when really their parents probably could give them 5k to get everything done. at least from what i have seen. sorry to say, but i doubt they would take mostly anyones car from here because the cars on here are for the most part decent enough to drive. part of pimp my ride is to turn trash to treasure to ebay. icon_confused.gif thats it.
jol102001

Joined: Feb 12 2004
Posts: 5815
Location: Lake Charles, LA -- USA


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:31 am

what gets me is why fix up a ride if it still runs like ****.
banned from SG

Joined: Jul 01 2003
Posts: 5127


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:46 am

Rags wrote:
... when really their parents probably could give them 5k to get everything done. at least from what i have seen. sorry to say, but i doubt they would take mostly anyones car from here because the cars on here are for the most part decent enough to drive. part of pimp my ride is to turn trash to treasure to ebay. icon_confused.gif thats it.


wrong and wrong
my parents philosophy is "you got a job you can pay for w/e you want" and they dont have 5k to just hand me or i'd be driving something else i'm sure.

and have you seen my car?
let me help...
www.cardomain.com/id/charged88
Silentdawn

Joined: Apr 12 2005
Posts: 1481
Location: Hockessin, Delaware


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:16 am

jol102001 wrote:
what gets me is why fix up a ride if it still runs like ****.


exactly, they take beaters with beat engines, beat everything, fix up the visual aspect of the car, but leave the engine alone, its still an old crappy engine! just makes most of their cars ricers..lol
josh9015

Joined: Sep 05 2003
Posts: 2256
Location: Melbourne, Florida


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:36 am

pOrk wrote:
After seeing the quality of their work, I wouldn't want them touching my car. Their body man doesnt know ****, and their electronics guy LOVES low end products.

The interior guy, the mexican cat. He is good ****, but the rest of those guys have no taste or pride whatsoever.

FOR EXAMPLE: THe body work on the VW van. They pop rivited sheet metal over a rust hoel they had cut out, and instead of welding the metal up and doing atleast SOME metal finishing they just slapped bondo on it and called it a day. First time that thing sees a temperate change of more then 10 degreez that **** will crack and fall off. WEAK

MTV, DONT PIMP MY RIDE


I love how the electronic guy puts in jenson stuff. You got 10000 watts of power. My ass. You got 8 woofers. To bad they all suck. And I agree on the interior guy. He does some good work like the yellow shag. That was cool
Floyd

Joined: Jul 23 2004
Posts: 1230
Location: California, Maryland


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:44 am

Silentdawn wrote:
jol102001 wrote:
what gets me is why fix up a ride if it still runs like ****.


exactly, they take beaters with beat engines, beat everything, fix up the visual aspect of the car, but leave the engine alone, its still an old crappy engine! just makes most of their cars ricers..lol


thats why i love overhaulin icon_wink.gif
Silentdawn

Joined: Apr 12 2005
Posts: 1481
Location: Hockessin, Delaware


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:47 am

True, it was on last night.. that episode kicked ass
Knox

Joined: Feb 12 2003
Posts: 6851
Location: Orlando, FL


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:07 am

They did a good job on that Bel Air that was on Pimp My Ride. They dropped in a new engine if I remember right. But that was the only one pretty much.
Silentdawn

Joined: Apr 12 2005
Posts: 1481
Location: Hockessin, Delaware


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:08 am

I have only seen a few where they put new engines in, actually in one the kid wanted to restore a car himself so they just bought him a new car and pimped it out. Thats gank..i want them to buy me a car....
Floyd

Joined: Jul 23 2004
Posts: 1230
Location: California, Maryland


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:12 am

was that the Scion one?
Silentdawn

Joined: Apr 12 2005
Posts: 1481
Location: Hockessin, Delaware


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:41 am

Yeah I think it was.
Rags

Joined: Apr 21 2005
Posts: 3527
Location: dayton


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:09 am

banned from SG wrote:
Rags wrote:
... when really their parents probably could give them 5k to get everything done. at least from what i have seen. sorry to say, but i doubt they would take mostly anyones car from here because the cars on here are for the most part decent enough to drive. part of pimp my ride is to turn trash to treasure to ebay. icon_confused.gif thats it.


wrong and wrong
my parents philosophy is "you got a job you can pay for w/e you want" and they dont have 5k to just hand me or i'd be driving something else i'm sure.

and have you seen my car?
let me help...
www.cardomain.com/id/charged88




my philosophy from yuppified parenting is coming from what i know about some of my surrounding areas where kids complain about having an 04 mustang and not an 05. or when their car takes a **** they say they can fix it and **** it up worse but dont do **** because if someone told them that they suck at installing a new alpine it would rip their pride in half. and honestly i dont think your car is quite at **** level compared to these:
they are held together with duct tape and garbage. icon_confused.gif they are TRULY ****. the mr2 still has life
super_accord

Joined: Jan 22 2004
Posts: 445


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:06 pm

A kid from Fargo, ND moved down to Cali with his family just so he could try to be on the show.
He ended up being on the show as some of u may have seen(the 2 dif. cars welded together)
and they gave him a new Scion box car. He then sold his wheels off of it and moved his family
back to Fargo where he can now be seen driving around with his hideous Scion. Here is a
pick of how its sits right now. http://img7.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc104&image=845_111_1121_IMG.JPG
Bigsammoe

Joined: Apr 01 2004
Posts: 1369
Location: Palos park,IL


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:25 pm

hahah u should go talk to the kid!

but yea i agree, they show the one car all rusted out and there like we did a "little bondo job" and iam like ok this car is POS even more! bondo will never work you can let it sit for a year before doing any ting to it and it still come right off, my auto body teach did a good example!

iam with pork and most of every one

MTV, Dont **** with my car!
banned from SG

Joined: Jul 01 2003
Posts: 5127


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:10 pm

i can make it look like duct tape is holding it together
DragonJeep

Joined: Jul 20 2003
Posts: 3730
Location: Tampa, FL


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:41 pm

I'm with pOrk on this one...the Mexican interior guys is awesome and the airbrush guy is not bad either but the rest I can do without...Overhaulin' is the best by far!
Floyd

Joined: Jul 23 2004
Posts: 1230
Location: California, Maryland


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:59 pm

DragonJeep wrote:
Overhaulin' is the best by far!


pirate.gif
addiction2bass

Joined: Jun 22 2003
Posts: 549
Location: Brownsburg, Indiana


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:02 pm

pimp my ride HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
some of the electronics are cool BUT 99% of what they do is just downright ***!!!!!!!!
no way in hell id ever let them touch ANY OF MY VEHICLES!!!!!!!
i mean come on now... who the F*** realy needs a coffe machine, juicer, fireplace, 3 back and forth convaor belts... come on now... that craps just downright ***!


but if you realy want your car on that show for some ODD reason....
is its gotta have duct tape, double sided tape holding something on the car, at least one door that doesnt open, keys not needed to start vehicle, and some kind of road rash down the side or roof, WITH last but the nastiest...... rat and a ton of rat crap all over the car!!!!!!!!!!!!

that shows so fake!
only thing that ive always liked was the interior work from that mexican guy. he does some great stich work!!!!!!
Bobby Lee

Joined: Mar 01 2003
Posts: 3881


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:03 pm

The show overall is absolutely retarded, but every now and then they will have some mods that are pretty cool... for instance, the pool-table in the bed of an S-10. That seems pretty original to me...
Toastr

Joined: Mar 09 2005
Posts: 1105
Location: Oak Harbor, WA


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:16 pm

They've bought new cars twice that I'm aware of, the Scion to replace the 'glued' Escorts, and the new 4Runner for the kid with what I believe was an old Ford Falcon. As for the parts, they try to use as much donated product as possible... much cheaper for the companies to donate stuff to another party, which then picks up any bills or such. Supplying company gets free advertising then icon_wink.gif Motor Trend did an interview with the WCC guys a few issues back... apparently since PMR started, the business at WCC has increased nearly 35%. Finally, the show is pretty much scripted. Somewhere on the other forum I frequent (houston-imports.com), someone posted a link to another forum where the asian guy with the 240sx had written about his ride's 'pimpage'. He was told in advance that they were coming, and apparently they had to practice the 'surprise' (when X knocks on the door and the asian dude damn near tackles him) three or four times. That and he was asked to drop all the wiring and crap under his dash to make it seem worse than it actually was. Also, ever notice how the cars are parked in the middle of the driveway in each episode? Sure, you may do that a few days in a row with wishful thoughts... but I can see my car and driveway from the house - if someone is poking around my car, I'm going the hell outside to see what's happening, whether its a POS or not. That and the person that answers the door is always the owner of the car... heh. But that doesn't hold much water, since they can just re-shoot that scene again...

Just my $.02 plus a few dimes icon_lol.gif
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:53 am
Page 1 of 1