Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Hooking up a relay to my dome light circut. To power strobes

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:53 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew how to hook up a relay onto a dimming dome light circut that would turn the relay on when its constant 12 volts and turn the relay off once it starts to dim. Or turn off when it dims to a certin point. I just did not know if a automotive relay could take a turn on voltage of 12 volts. My idea is when I use my remote door unlock button my dome circut turn on and I wanted to power some blue strobes when ever my dome light turns on. So my blue led dome light and the strobe would turn on whenever I unlocked my doors. I just am woried that the strobe controler wont beable to take the dimming of the circut, so i figured i would need a relay or something. I was gunna hook up 2 or so sets of streetglow blue headlight strobes and place then aiming down threw my headliner on the sides. So the inside of the car would flash blue. I have over 20 sets of these strobes and im tryin to find places for them. https://www.streetglow.com/cgi-local/shop.pl/adcode=/page=anhls.htm

Any help would be appriciated thank you.
GlowinPontiac

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:20 pm

i dont think it would work. the dimming would cause problems.
it may be possible with transistors tho but i dont know how to do it......
jcarere

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:53 pm

All I want is when my domelight is turned on(I.E. when I hit my door unlock or open a door.) For a relay to trip to power some cathodes or my strobe modules in the headlinner. I just figured hooking up the strobes or cathodes to the dimming dome light circut would cause damage to the electronics. Would a relay work?
GlowinPontiac

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:45 pm

it might but i dont think the dimming would be good for the electronics.
Judas

Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:46 pm

The way most dome lights work is they turn on when the ground wire in the door button (that detects when your door is open) is on which only works when the doors are open. i had 2 red strobes under each of my doors that lit up when i opened my door to enter or exit. Just use the ground that connects to the button in the door that detects if its open or not. Then feed it power from somewhere besides your dimming dome light.

Its not too hard to do and looks great.
GlowinPontiac

Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:33 pm

better put a kill switch on there too. wouldnt look good if a cop told you to step out of the car and when you open the door all kinds of strobes start flashing......
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 am
Page 1 of 1