Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

How to make guages blue

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:13 am

97 camaro
I bought 30 something leds from this site and i installed some in my shifter, hvac, headlight controls, etc. I originally got them to make my guages blue because 1/2 white bulbs burnt out.

Well, how exactly do i wire this up, i am replacing 7(194 bulb) lights. I havent taken the guages apart yet but how exactly do i need to wire these up. Should i use a resistor., and should i double them up?

This is what im working with:

I am worried that i will mess up the needles calibration somehow. Do i need to worry about this at all since iam only messing with the lights in the back?

Btw, how do i make the leds' light more dispersed, I heard you can sand them, anyone got any detailed info on this?
Cerwin Vega Fan

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:22 am

Needle calibration is almost impossible to get back to perfect without taking your car to a dealer or a good mechanic. I don't see why you need to remove the needles to begin with though since the sockets are on the back of the instrument cluster. IMO you might have been better off buying blue 194 bulbs but LED's should work fine. For the way their used in the instrument cluster I would say just use a resistor per LED, that way you have a lot less wiring to deal with. As for the LED's spreading glow, just sand the top of them down a bit with sand paper. Just try to flatten the dome part of the led out if you want the glow to spread better.
jol102001

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:38 am

use resistor and shave the led.... and cerwin... the blue bulbs... they fade after a while.
stasis-

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:04 am

you'll prolly have to sand off the amber film first..
jethawk

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:13 am

the blue bulbs fade pretty quickly... i bought some blue bulbs and they faded after a couple months icon_evil.gif
pHEnomIC

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:48 pm

Yeah my friend gave me some blue 194s, he said he had them in his truck for a month and they all faded to green so he said i could use them if iwanted.

I am really worried that i will mess up the guages, can anyone verify if it will be a problem? I don't know exactly how it is set up but will i have to mess with the needles at all? Or will i be fine?
I don't believe there is amber film, the film is actually blue.

How exactly will i wire these? I hear people break the old bulbs out of the sockets and use the sockets to hold the leds. Is there anyway to use the existing power supply to the lights rather than running a wire to every led? Also, should i double them up or would one be fine in each socket?

Last thing: Should i shave the leds to make them disperese or just leave them directional?
stasis-

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:27 pm

if the film is blue, why arent your lights blue? they usually have amber film + white bulb. the only way to use the existing power supply irrc is if you buy bulbs that fit the sockets
pHEnomIC

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:30 pm

MY lights are yellowish .... Through a blue filter = white. Trans ams have red film, camaros have blue from what i heard.

Now then about shaving, should ishave them to disperse or leave them and, do i need to worry about messing up the guages?
stasis-

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:41 pm

i used to have a really nice thread bookmarked from a g35 forum where the guy replaced everything that lit up with blue leds..i think he got his result by sanding off the filter, shaving the leds, and soldering them in..
if you have a blue film cant you just put a white bulb and have blue? either way, if its a blue film you shouldnt have to worry about removing it
jethawk

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:44 pm

if its a blue film you wouldnt have to worry at all if your making your gauges blue.... to take out the cluster you might have to fiddle around with your dash and it should just be screwed in.... you pop the whole cluster out... and you'll have sockets holding the lights bulbs in the back.. unscrew the sockets just by twisting them.... take out the old bulbs.. and stick the LED's in there.. (make sure to put a resistor on... and i would shave them and probably use 3 LED's per socket... now the LED's have to have the right polarity in the sockets or else they wont light up... so it may take some trial and error to get the +'s to match up and the -'s to match..... but you shouldnt have to take your needles out!
GlowinPontiac

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:51 pm

i took out the twisty bulb sockets on my car and removed teh bulb and stuck one led in there. these were for the warning lights tho. my dash has a painted on orange filter that i cant seem to remove
jethawk

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:56 pm

did you try acetone on the film?
GlowinPontiac

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:00 pm

cant get to it. i acetoned the film on the warning lights but the film that lights up the whole gauge has a clear plastic piece glued to it to spread teh light. and removing it destroyes the gauges.
jethawk

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:01 pm

wait wait.. is the piece of plastic clear or orange???? you said orange in the first post and clear in the other???? if its clear then you can keep it their.. but if its orange then its a problem
my_teal_camaro

Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:25 am

pHEnomic...is your Camaro a V6? If so check out www.camarov6.com for instrument cluster removal.
pHEnomIC

Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:49 am

nah its a z, i got a guide on the removal already, here it is if anyone else wants it because it was really hard to find.

TechSys

Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:40 pm

96 reverse glow overlay
That's actually for a 93-96 camaro, not sure is there was a change in the layout from 96 to 97. I tried to look for 97 but couldn't find any.

An overlay would probably be the easiest way IF you can find one for your car.
pHEnomIC

Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:37 pm

Well i did it, Looks pretty dang sweet, All the pics i take are blurry because i cant use flash but believe me, it is kickin!. I just took all the sockets out and i did
series parallel:
5 circuits of:
1 resistor and 2 leds

I put 2 blue ones in each hole and taped everything down really good. Came out awesome.

Thats not my pic but looks pretty close to that (except better icon_biggrin.gif )
I also did my hvac, shifter, and headlight controls
stasis-

Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:44 pm

get pics up of yours now icon_cool.gif
aquariuskid2001

Post Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:09 pm

easy way to change the colors, is to go to a dj/party supply store and get the colored film they put in front of the lights... trim to fit.. good to go....
stasis-

Post Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:59 pm

aquariuskid2001 wrote:
easy way to change the colors, is to go to a dj/party supply store and get the colored film they put in front of the lights... trim to fit.. good to go....

im planning to do that soon as i can find the name of the film to go buy some..ima sand the amber off and replace it with blue
aquariuskid2001

Post Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:33 pm

can prob find it online.. dj/club lighting supplies..
jethawk

Post Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:26 pm

the one of the pic similar to yours has alot of dead spots... i hope you filled those in!!!... dead spots on guages look very bad!!!!
Rags

Post Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:34 am

anyone got ice gauges? like with spots or something behind it? that would be nice. but get old wile driving icon_sad.gif
Silentdawn

Post Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:43 am

that would be so tight.
stasis-

Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:58 am

i cant figure out a method to do this for my gauges and its **** me off so bad right now
aquariuskid2001

Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:20 am

instrument cluster and gauge backlighting... they have twist socket wide angle leds in diff colors prewired/soldered w/ resistor...
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:56 pm
Page 1 of 1