Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Installing Pioneer DEH3500 in Grand AM

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:08 pm

Hi everyone...

I've been trying to hook up a used stereo I recived from a friend...

I've been having a hell of a time trying to get it installed. I currently own a 2001 Pontiac Grand AM GT. I removed my factory stereo and read the installation guide for the pioneer stereo as to what wires to connect to what it reads as follows:

Yellow/black:
If you use a cellular telephone, connect it via the
Audio Mute lead on the cellular telephone. If not,
keep the Audio Mute lead free of any connections. (I just cap this wire)

Yellow:
To terminal always supplied with power regardless of
ignition switch position.

Red:
To electric terminal controlled by ignition switch (12
V DC) ON/OFF.

Orange/white:

To lighting switch terminal.

Black (ground):
To vehicle (metal) body.

Speakers:
White - Front Left (+)
White Black - Front Left (-)

Gray - Front Right (+)
Gray/Black - Front Right (-)

Green - Rear Left (+)
Green/Black - Rear Left (-)

Violet - Rear Right (+)
Violet Black - Rear Right (-)

For the GM cars the colour codes are:

Memory (+12v Constant) - Orange
Ignition (+12v Switched) - Yellow
Ground (-) - Black
Illumination - Gray
Dimmer - Brown
Power Antenna - Pink

Speakers

Right Front (+) - Light Green
Right Front (-) - Dark Green
Left Front (+) - Tan
Left Front (-) - Gray
Right Rear (+) - Dark Blue
Right Rear (-) - Light Blue
Left Rear (+) - Brown
Left Rear (-) - Yellow

I wired everything up but I have 2 problems:

I don't have a yellow wire for the ignition switch at all. Secondly my second problem is when I wire everything up excluding the wire for the ignition switch I have 4 wires left over comming from my grand am:

2 Solid Violet (or purple)
2 Solid Green wires
1 Solid Black Wire (NOT the ground wire. I have 2 black wires one with a white strip which I hooked to as ground and a solid black which is the one I dont know where to connect to.)

I've searched google like a mad man trying to find out what these wires are and which wire to hook the ignition wire too.

Does anyone else have any ideas what the deal is with this yellow wire and those other 5 wires are?

Thanks alot!

If it helps this is the installation guide for the pioneer: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/vgn/im..._DEH-P3500_20021241433264130.pdf
Tim

Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:18 pm

You need to buy a stock adapter. Not sure if that's what it's called. It comes with a plug that you plug into the stock plug, then you connect the wires, match the colors, with tape or solder, or whatever you want, and plug the other end into the HU. That's what I did to my 98 GA.
ttes_121

Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:19 pm

What exactly does a "stock adapter" do? and what's the difference between just cutting off the stock plug and connecting the wires to the Pioneer plug or using the "stock adapter"?
Tim

Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:27 pm

Well, there's a plug that plugs into the back of the stock CD Player. You plug the part that you buy at Best Buy or whatever into that, and that plugs into your Pioneer HU. Then you connect the wires by color. Lemme try to find a pic.

That plugs into the stock plug, and those wires, they get connected to the wires that come with the Pioneer HU.

Last edited by Tim on Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total
Neon Mike

Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:29 pm

It's called a wiring harness. It'll have to plugs usually. One is for the speakers and one is for the power connections. On one end of each harness there will be a plug adapter that you simply plug your factory harnesses into. the other end will have color coded wires that will match the wires comming from the new stereo. Splice them color for color and plug in the new radio then you're pretty much ready to go.
ttes_121

Post Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:33 pm

ahhhhhhhh ok, thanks alot for the help! icon_smile.gif
ttes_121

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:51 am

So, I go to best buy and ask for a Wire Harness for a 2001 GRand AM and this guy calls the installation department and asks if I can use a regular harness for like $15 then he tells me I need some "Relocation Kit" and all this and they only will sell it if THEY install it, so I ask how much it will cost and he tells me $100+

Some how it went from a $15 to $100, grrr!

[Edit]
Grrrrr! I wish I could just do this myself! Without the harness!
Tim

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:00 am

You'll need an adapter, because the stock radio/cd player is larger than the Pioneer HU. You'll need something to make the hole smaller. I didn't think it cost $100 though...
stasis-

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:14 am

Tim wrote:
You'll need an adapter, because the stock radio/cd player is larger than the Pioneer HU. You'll need something to make the hole smaller. I didn't think it cost $100 though...

couple bucks at walmart
best buy tries to screw you with installation
ttes_121

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:48 am

It gets even worse. I know I need the face plate, its only $20 - $25, not a big deal... now the wire harness on the other hand.. I went to 3 electronic stores and they had nothing. They have them from GM but not the 2001 model. But they had years (1700bc - 2000)

I finally decided to go to a REAL car audio store and they looked my car up in the book and said i need a special harness because GM changed them in 2001 and on and it will cost, GET THIS, $160 JUST FOR THE HARNESS!

So great it went from $15 to $100 now to $160! ahhhhhhhh
jcarere

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:18 am

Um my buddy owns that exact same car and we bought his harness for his radio swap at wallmart for 25.99. The face plate kit we ordered and that was around 35 bucks. So they must of changed something within the 2 months we did his. Good Luck to you though.
A-Ray

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:22 pm

All new GM cars are supposed to have a special relocation T-Harness. You do not have to use this even thought most will tell you that you do. The only reason this relocation harness is really needed is if you are worried about losing your door chimes. I got one for my Sunfire before I knew this information about not having to have it. I paid around 60 bucks on sale for the harness.
ttes_121

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:56 pm

So if I don't have to use the T-Harness what other type of harness should I use? All the harnesses i have seen at electronic stores dont fit the stock plug.

So where can I find one of the non-relocation t harnesses?

Like, for example in the stores I see harnesses for GM 1981- 1991 (or something) and GM 1992 - 2000 (or something) and that's all there is for GM and both of them wont fit into my stock plug so what else can I do?

I'm so out of ideas puppy_dog_eyes.gif
ttes_121

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:22 am

I found 2 interesting websites explaining how to hook up the stereo by running a wire from the fusebox and just connecting the wires. I'm going to try that tommrow. I would rather just lose my annoying door chime then dish out $160! icon_biggrin.gif

These are the websites. Feel free to have a "gander":
http://members.shaw.ca/johnz24/howto/2kaudio.html
http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/stupid-cavalier-index.html
TechSys

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:54 pm

2001-2004 Pontiac Grand Am

Description / Metra Part number
Premium Kit / 99-3301
Budget Kit / 99-2001
Custom Kit / 99-2003
Harness Into Car / GMRC-01
Harness Into Factory Radio / 71-2003-1
Amplifier Integration / Not Listed
Amplifier Bypass / Not Listed
Speaker Adapter Harness / 72-4570
Speaker Accessory / N/A
Custom Antenna / 44-GM935
Power Antenna / 44-PW22
Antenna Adapter to Factory Antenna / 40-GM10
Antenna Adapter to Factory Radio / 40-GM21

Not sure if that will help you out any, but at least you now have the part numbers. I believe you can order straight from Metra, but I couldn't find anyhting on their website (metraonline.com). Hope that helps somewhat..
aquariuskid2001

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:53 pm

just installed a pioneer deh p670mp today.. i didnt buy a wiring harness, i used the one that came with the sony stereo i jhust ditched... just matched the wires up, no problem... just get a any wiring harness that will plug into your stock plugs, they all have the same wires coming out... (as long as you have the plug with wire ends coming from the deck).., mine was that way..

as for the install kit to make your double din a single..

did a quick search.

The time now is Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:00 pm
Page 1 of 1