Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

LED Lights.....Is this correct???

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:03 am

Hello all. Sorry for the request for proof reading, but I just wanted to make sure I had the wiring correct before I go to the install phase. I am doing adding some LEDs to the interior of my boat. All the LEDs are 2.5volt, add the current provided will be 12volt. Is the wiring digram I made below correct?

User posted image
Floyd

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:17 am

i think a 110ohn resistor is all you need but ya, that little drawing is right.
alienyoungjr

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:00 am

that is a way to do it but not the highly suggested way. most people will agree that putting each LED in parallel circuit is your best bet. The reason being if you ever get a voltage spike, it will only take out the LED it affects instead of an entire circuit of LEDs because one was effected by that spike. Just a suggestion not like its a law, so you can reall do as you please.
skeeler

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:57 am

alienyoungjr wrote:
that is a way to do it but not the highly suggested way. most people will agree that putting each LED in parallel circuit is your best bet. The reason being if you ever get a voltage spike, it will only take out the LED it affects instead of an entire circuit of LEDs because one was effected by that spike. Just a suggestion not like its a law, so you can reall do as you please.

Ok...for the given about of LEDS I have, how do I wire them?
alienyoungjr

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:24 am

every LED will get its own power and ground wire, parllel is what the call it, and each LED gets it's very own resistor. you can even solder one lead of all the resistors together, then each resistor sperates and goes to the positive lead of the LEDs. Then you can solder all of the negative leads of the LEDs together and then ground them. Thats probably your smallest way to make a parallel circuit without getting into the extreme PCB boards. Or you can even give every resistor and LED set its very own wire.

Whatever you choose just let us know if you get confused or messed up.
skeeler

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:11 pm

You have any idea what resistor I need on each one?
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:50 pm

I think a 560 ohm? alienyoungjr, pls confirm
alienyoungjr

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:02 pm

I am going to go ahead and calculate the resistor for 14vdc, cause thats what a lot of cars run at when the vehicle is running so:

14vdc, 2.5vdc each LED, at 20ma, = 680 blue grey brown gold
12vdc, 2.5vdc each LED, at 20ma, = 560 green blue brown gold

phil is correct, but i went ahead and calculated it for both, but i would really suggest the one for 14vdc just to be safe and keep your LEDs happy. You can run it off of the 12vdc resistor with very little problem to no problem but safety comes better with the one rated for 14vdc.

also here is a great website to use to calculate the proper resistor or you can just ask the baord.
http://linear1.org/ckts/led.php
cardinalsfan

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:23 pm

very nice
skeeler

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:13 am

alienyoungjr wrote:
I am going to go ahead and calculate the resistor for 14vdc, cause thats what a lot of cars run at when the vehicle is running so:

phil is correct, but i went ahead and calculated it for both, but i would really suggest the one for 14vdc just to be safe and keep your LEDs happy. You can run it off of the 12vdc resistor with very little problem to no problem but safety comes better with the one rated for 14vdc.

also here is a great website to use to calculate the proper resistor or you can just ask the baord.

One more question; I am going to go with the 14vdc option. My question, does the "blue grey brown gold" of the resistor pertain to the directionality of it of, or just the kind of resistor I need to get? Thanks for all your help guys!!!!
Shawn
alienyoungjr

Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:13 pm

skeeler wrote:
alienyoungjr wrote:

One more question; I am going to go with the 14vdc option. My question, does the "blue grey brown gold" of the resistor pertain to the directionality of it of, or just the kind of resistor I need to get? Thanks for all your help guys!!!!
Shawn

no that pertains to the color bands that will be on the resisors you buy.
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:10 pm
Page 1 of 1