Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

painting interior

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:29 am

im painting the interior in my car and i wanna do the piece thats around the door handles on the inside but they wont come off my door! i took the two screws off n tried popping it off and neither side will come off.. please help n tell me how to get them off
Rags

Post Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:53 pm

there is a pin inside of the window crank you need to pop out so you can remove the window crank. and there is usually 2 screws on the bottom 2 on either sides and maybe some in the little handle grip. it depends on whether you have power windows and locks.
TCalYen

Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:39 am

...or it can have melt tabs that you'll have to grind off... actually, now that I think about it... that's how the handles were on my ride.
Losing quickly

Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:33 pm

ok, I decided to add onto this topic so I wouldn't get yelled at for starting a new one. Quick question. (yes I used to search button, but didn't find anything) Is is ok to use an enamel gloss paint when painting the interior? If not, what type of paint should be used? (I know to sand and prime, and gloss afterwords, but the middle step I'm not sure on)
02BlueStang

Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:49 pm

sand it smooth, make sure there are some scuff marks so that the paint will adhere to the plastic....ALSO CLEAN THEM WITH RUBBING ALCOHOL etc to remove any armoral etc that you may have used in the past on them....

you can use automotive paint from Schucks etc or have your painter mix up some paint to match the outside of your car....then spray the paint on the pieces so that you have several equal coats that cover the entire piece...usually about 3-4 coats of paint...let it dry and then you can spray it with clear coat to make it shiny or leave it flat if you would like....I have had bad luck with spray paint (can) clear coat but if you choose to do this make sure you buy a big can not the little one, as it will clog, and then several light coats to ensure everything is coated...then wet sand the pieces to make them shiny.....after that you are all done, let dry and reinstall icon_smile.gif

here are some pictures of mine:

Rags

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:13 am

i found this **** at napa to do mine, its about 7 bucks a can but is durable as hell and adherse to interior parts like its stock. but the paint is actually made for this. imo i wouldnt reccomend the whole sanding it redoing it wetsanding it using clear and all that. if your going for a stock look your trim probably already has ripples or ridges in the plastic which sand paper is going to tear up and miss the cracks, this paint just goes right on and stays.
but its not like high gloss, if your looking for the effect others like 02bluestang have then go with their methods.
02BlueStang

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:08 am

here, we'll make it simple for ya:

For the Flat look (stock look but painted a different color):
1) clean off the peices with dawn dish soap to remove any oils on the pieces.
2) dry them off and tape off any parts you dont want painted
3) Lightly sand the pieces to scuff up the area you are painting, paint will adhere better
4) apply 2-3 light coats of paint using paint from Napa, Schucks etc (spray paint meant for interior painting)
5)apply 1-2 coats of clear coat for protecting the paint...your done

For a clear shiny look:
do steps 1 and 3
4) go over it again with a finer sand paper to insure there are no ridges or scratches in the material.
5) apply 3-4 coats (light) of your desired paint, either from a mix shop or from the can.
6) apply several coats of clear coat, preferably not from a can, I have never had that stuff come out well on anything ive done.
7) wet sand between coats of clear that you put on (LIGHTLY, you dont want to take it all off just smooth it out, use really fine sand paper here, I used 2600 gritt I believe, REALLY fine....
icon_cool.gif let it dry and reinstall
Losing quickly

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:07 am

so is it fine if I use the enamel gloss paint (its in a rattle can) I have a seperate can of gloss too.
Rags

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:08 pm

yea, just prep the panels right and you should be fine.
Losing quickly

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:01 pm

sweet, I just did my second coat of primer
Losing quickly

Post Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:56 pm

I did an obscure piece as my first piece (fuse panel cover), it turned out really well. I sanded all the texture off of it so it was really smooth. The plastic in the doors is next on my list.
01SIlverSc2

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:56 pm

My cluster and surround before clearcoat = ]

Wooah icon_eek.gif long time no post icon_lol.gif
Rags

Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:18 pm

mine is starting to flake everytime my bass hits.
=/
my tranny slips when it hits too.
D=
Losing quickly

Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:19 pm

Rags wrote:
mine is starting to flake everytime my bass hits.
=/
my tranny slips when it hits too.
D=

wow....that's a lot of bass
Rags

Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:16 pm

and one hell of a **** car.
biglaugh.gif
i think the paint was going to peal either way but the vibrations made it peal faster and i think the trans was going before the bass came back.
but still loud
o6blink

Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:04 pm

all I did was clean my pieces with a lot of windex..

User posted image

User posted image

and i used the cheap 94 cent walmart can sprays.. silver, blue, and clearcoat.

4 layers of each.

done.

durable as hell also lol.
ProjectRAGE

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:16 pm

bass makes my interior paint flake faster, lmao, thats a good one
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:55 am
Page 1 of 1