Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Neon Lights turn on, then go off right away...Why??

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:46 pm

Just replaced transformer and am still having the same problem with lights going on for a split second (like a flash) then go off. I turn the switch off for a few seconds, and the same thing happens again. I need help.
GlowinPontiac

Post Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:21 pm

bad ground possibly?
check all your connections.
stasis-

Post Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:22 pm

check your wires..im going with a ground issue
99fit

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:22 pm

Thank-You both!!! I will try all my connections and get back to you, and let you know how it goes........At least I have some kind of direction!!
GlowinPontiac

Post Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:24 pm

if you check all the connections and still have the problem then you may have to remove the kit from the car and check each tube individually with the transformer to see if you possibly have a bad tube. it could be a loose connection inside the tube somewhere. but most likely you have a bad power/ground connection.
Rain

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:26 am

Definitley check the ground...I had a hard time figuring out why and the ground was good and kept checking the power and ground over and over until finally I got under the car and one of my tubes was shattered. So check that next.
99fit

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:37 am

Thank-You all, I have sanded the inner fender under where the transformer is mounted, and lights still go off after a quick flash. I hooked a wire up from the negative ground on battery, and still just a quick flash. So now I will go under car (2000 Monte Carlo SS) and check each light to see if there is a cracked or shattered tube.....VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!
alienyoungjr

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:17 pm

most likly its something wrong with the transformer, it sounds more like something has a bad solder connection or even a tempermental fuse. It reall could be anything but I doubt thats its caused by the tubes. But who know i could be wrong.
Rain

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:02 pm

Check the fuse on the transformer too. You never know...
Brandon

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:30 pm

the fuse wouldn't cause shut offs like this. My vote is for it just being a shot transformer. The good and bad thing about CCFL's is that they are so cheap that it's not worth replacing the transformer, just buy a new set.
MrJayDeeOne

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:19 pm

yeah when UB kit was doing this I replaced the transformer and it's been good ever since
99fit

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:49 am

Just a quick update all you kind people!!! I checked all the tubes, and none appear to be shattered or broken. I checked both inline fuses, and the one on the transformer side was blown....I replaced it, and still the same thing happens....Now I'm just plain ****!!!! Just for the heck of it, I tried hooking up my old transformer, and the same thing happens. So, now I am going to check all my wiring connections all the way around starting at one end of the trans former till I get all the way around to the other side. If I don't see anything out of the ordinary, I will then remove each light and have to try them seperately till I can narrow it down. I did spend $250.00 to have this professionally installed, so if this doesn't work, my installer has been very cool about "taking care of it". Thanks again to all who have replied with some very great idea's. What a very knowledgeable forum I have joined here!!!!!! Warmest Regards, Art
josh9015

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:00 am

You paid 250$$ icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif That is crazy. You could have done it yourself with the help of us and you would have learned something. You could have spent that money on more lights. I am still in shock.
stasis-

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:36 am

I woulda done the install for a cheeseburger and a coke icon_cool.gif
druidman227

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:35 am

i would have done it for just a cheeseburger
GlowinPontiac

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:33 am

im thinking at this point to get another tranny. perhaps teh new one you got was bad too?
99fit

Post Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:48 am

Well now figure this one out?!?! I flipped the switch this morning, and bamm!!! The lights stayed lit up, so I walked all the way around vehicle only to see the Rear Tube was not lit up. I crawled underneath and could see a very "dim" glow on each end of the tube. I tapped it a few times but nothing happened. Do you folks think that the tube is shot? Or does it sound like a bad ground or wiring problem? I don't know how these tubes react when they finally do blow. Wires appear to be connected very securely too. Help. Thanks again from the "inexperienced guy".
druidman227

Post Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:33 am

are these actual Neons? if so i had the same problem with the glow-cart. i got a dim glow from the right side tube. on closer inspection the tube had a small crack in it. maybe take the tube off and really inspect it closely. poke.gif
GlowinPontiac

Post Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:23 pm

yep sounds like the rear tube is shot. what brand kit is it?
99fit

Post Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:06 pm

The kit is an actual Street Glow Gold Series Neon Blue. I went to take off the rear tube, but now I'm wondering how do the wires connect??? Do I peel back the rubber boot on both ends of the tube, or is there a connection of two wires between both of the side tubes??? Coincidentally, I did leave the lights on ( front and both sides) for about a half hour just to see if the back would eventually come on, but, "wishful thinkin" on my part. Thanks, Art
GlowinPontiac

Post Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:32 pm

somewhere on the wire between the side and rear tubes there will be a connection.
TCalYen

Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:50 am

Rain wrote:
Definitley check the ground...I had a hard time figuring out why and the ground was good and kept checking the power and ground over and over until finally I got under the car and one of my tubes was shattered. So check that next.

Depending on the kit though... if one of the tubes is broken... it wouldn't light up at all... to lazy to read if someone already stated this.
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:35 pm
Page 1 of 1