Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Don't forget to unplug your soldering iron

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:24 am

I left my soldering iron sitting on my soldering block since Friday night, and realized this morning that it has been plugged in the entire time. The iron had burned itself a little hole burrowed into the soldering block and its like one big ash pit. I'm very suprised it didn't start a fire.

I think the soldering iron is ruined, which isn't a big loss because it was free. Can anyone recommend a good soldering iron to replace mine with? I don't really want to spend more than $30. A battery operated one would be nice, I do a lot of soldering in the car, but I don't like recharging batteries. So any ideas are helpful. We do have radio shacks in town, but i've bought a 30-W AC iron from them, and took it back the same day...terrible quality. Never heated up enough to melt solder.
justin

Post Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:06 am

wow. lesson learned, im sure.

i know i learned mine after leaving a hot glue gun on for a week, w/out starting a fire. i noticed it was still plugged in after the silver tip started turning a crusty brown. thing was HOT too...
Rags

Post Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:40 am

napa sells them for 4 bucks. they work, they get the job done, and their cheap. i have had the one i still use for about 3 years.
GlowinPontiac

Post Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:18 pm

weller makes one good soldering iron.
i have a large weller gun thats 100/140 watts. this thing could damn near melt anything.
its about 40 years old given to me by my father and still works flawlessly.
StrtGlowerZm180

Post Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:56 pm

Get that one they sell on tv that heats up real fast and cools off real fast. i can't remember what the name is my friend got one for working on computers and lighting. He swears by it and he said it lasts a long time.
pOrk

Post Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:14 pm

StrtGlowerZm180 wrote:
Get that one they sell on tv that heats up real fast and cools off real fast. i can't remember what the name is my friend got one for working on computers and lighting. He swears by it and he said it lasts a long time.

I was soo tempted to buy one of those, cause I find myself constantly burning myself on mine. I have a 4 doller one, and it works every time flawlessly.
Mav

Post Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:28 pm

StrtGlowerZm180, the one you are referring to is a cold soldering iron. It's battery operated and arcs electricity across the tip to melt the solder.
king_midas

Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:05 am

StrtGlowerZm180 wrote:

http://www.coldheat.com/

buy one and let me know how it goes, they sell them up here for $20

GlowinPontiac wrote:

weller makes one good soldering iron.
i have a large weller gun thats 100/140 watts. this thing could damn near melt anything.
its about 40 years old given to me by my father and still works flawlessly.

I have the same one! I use it to cut plastic whenever my jigsaw won't work icon_lol.gif
paul

Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:08 am

My dad has a butane powered soldering iron he isn't using anymore, I'll probably use that until I get one of those coldheat irons, which look pretty awesome. I don't like the bevel tip that comes standard though, I wish they would ship the conical tip standard instead of charging $10 for it! I also with they didn't run on AA's. I would have been more happy with a Li-Ion or NiMH or something, I hate replacing AA's.
Optika1 illushun

Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:09 am

cold heat sucks ****.
Sublime0069

Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:55 am

I'll vouch with that. The Cold Heat works a lot better on TV with small stationary things. If you're trying to solder wires or small parts, it can get a little trickly. You can't tack it like you can with an iron. You also have to use real thin solder, and apparently, rechargeable batteries don't work (I couldn't melt anything with freshly charged NIMH batteries, but it worked 'ok' with Duracells)
paul

Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:06 am

Thanks for letting me know.

NiMH AA's have a lower voltage, only 1.2v each, which is probably why you couldn't get it up to heat.
paul

Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:49 am

I really would like a cordless and am looking at this butane powered from Weller:
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bin/scripts/product/1980-0351/
Anybody had experience with it or recommendations?

It turns out that the iron I was going to get from my dad is in the dumpster, or more accurately, the dump. So I'm iron-less at the moment, I'll think I'll go to NAPA and get one of the $4 ones temporarily.
The time now is Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:23 pm
Page 1 of 1