Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

mini fridge in center console

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:49 pm

like the title says, i saw on television a maybach mercedes that had a refridgerator on the rear seat armrest-thingy, and i thought, why not try and put a small refridgeration device in the center console? is this project possible, and if so does it seem like a lot of work to get a refridgeration device going in my car?

these sort of projects are what i think of when i have too much free time
GlowinPontiac

Post Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:52 pm

a pielter (sp) device could do it. if you have a 12v mini fridge just take the guts out and use them. but it wont be that cold, every car fridge ive seen cant even make 2 warm beers cold in under 3-4 hours. there good at keeping cold things from getting too warm but wont really get anything that cold
GoldenRod

Post Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:19 pm

I can't vouch for how well these things work, but they have 12v refridgerators/coolers for cars at WalMart:

User posted image

This one cools things to 40 degrees below ambient temperature:

User posted image
jol102001

Post Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:50 pm

there was already a thread about this... mav went into major detail about it.
Mav

Post Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:57 pm

yup yup.. that's what the search feature is for =P The one I have is one step down than the picture shown above. It holds like 16 cans I think...
alienyoungjr

Post Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:35 pm

my parents bought me one of those mini fridges, and mine would never get below 50 degrees. They are just not designed like the real deal. The real deal has fans to circulate air and everything, but my mini fridge had nothing to circulate the air. The little freezer device could easily freeze liquid if it was in contact with it. It was pointless and a waste of space, so i tore it apart and sold the parts to someone on this forum. I believe they are using it in a cup holder design to keep things in close contact cold or even warm.
Mav

Post Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:03 am

The one I have, they have the little freezing piece attached to a heat sync from what I can tell, and they blow air across the heat sync to circulate it through the unit.
paul

Post Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:52 pm

alienyoungjr wrote:
It was pointless and a waste of space, so i tore it apart and sold the parts to someone on this forum. I believe they are using it in a cup holder design to keep things in close contact cold or even warm.

thats what i'm planning i've got one of those 12v cooler things that is really worthless except as can holder, and i'm going to install the refigeration unit to the underside of my cupholder.
alienyoungjr

Post Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:22 pm

paulygon wrote:
alienyoungjr wrote:
It was pointless and a waste of space, so i tore it apart and sold the parts to someone on this forum. I believe they are using it in a cup holder design to keep things in close contact cold or even warm.

thats what i'm planning i've got one of those 12v cooler things that is really worthless except as can holder, and i'm going to install the refigeration unit to the underside of my cupholder.

it sounds like a good idea but i don't know how well it will work. So, you let us know how well it works.
cardinalsfan

Post Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:01 am

i always had a plan, and at one time parts, to build a peltier cooled cupholder in my olds but it got stolen along with most of the parts and i dont wanna tear up my satty to do this project. if anyone wants more info on it, let me know, i have whole plans drawn up and lots of info websites and such....
Exaran

Post Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:33 pm

whats a peltier? hows it different than "normal" refridgeration?
GlowinPontiac

Post Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:35 pm

peilter is just a pc chip. that gets freezing on one side and really hot on the other.
no moving parts or liquid refirgerant like in your standard house fridge.
Exaran

Post Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:13 pm

oooooo, neat icon_cool.gif
paul

Post Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:43 am

i saw a new volkswagen with a refrigeration unit in the glove box. just buy a new car.
druidman227

Post Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:12 am

yeah ive seen that volkswagen... im not so sure on it. i work HVAC/R and while these things seem like a good idea, they dont always work as well as planned.
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:31 pm
Page 1 of 1