Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Yellow Headlights

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:09 pm

Well my car has a yellow front lighting theme building and I really needed new headlights. I bought some new H4 housings with glass lenses. They arent ell cheapo diamond cut crud they are "euro style" and seem like they will give off a nice beam pattern. They come with white h4 bulbs but I bought yellow ones off ebay since they are the look I really want.

I know this is going to attract cops and make me stick out alot. I know I will get pulled over so I decieded to arm myself.... no not an uzi but some sort of legal papers (sorry to dissapoint those out there hoping for a weapon, although side exit flamthrowers to light the officer on fire while standing by my car have been considered)
One thing I hate about the law is how vague it is. This would fall under the FMVSS No. 108 law. Which is federal so States can change it how they want.

I got this from the Wisconsin Legislation website- Subchapter 2 od chapter 347.07
'"347.07(2)
(2) Except as otherwise expressly authorized or required by this chapter, no person shall operate any vehicle or equipment on a highway which has displayed thereon:

347.07(2)(a)
(a) Any color of light other than white or amber visible from directly in front;"

So white or amber... yellow and orange are both considered amber I beleive mostly orange but plenty of sidemarkers are yellow. Looks like according to that one law I have the write to use amber/yellow headlights so far.....

Any body think this would hold up in court or know of any exceptions which wouldnt suprise me.

Anyone else **** off about how vague the legal system is and how 8000k HID blue is considered white lol.[/b]
Judas

Post Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:06 pm

p0rk, you had some in the past didnt you?
jethawk

Post Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:30 pm

i think aslong as you keep them aimed properly and are not blinding other drivers (im assuming their going to be a higher wattage bulb then stock... then they shouldnt hassle you on the colour.... i have yellow fogs on my car... 100 watt bulbs... and their very bright... havent had any complaints so far.... just keep them aimed properly and you should be fine...
super_accord

Post Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:22 pm

Ask some of your local cops what they think of yellow headlights. Jethawk also gave some very good advice about keeping them aimed properly, nothing I hate more than headlights pointed incorrectly or HIDs without projectors.
Judas

Post Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:18 pm

Ill aim them, Im sticking to stock voltge so as far as that goes it should be legal its just rather obvious having different colored headlights.
Tim

Post Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:58 pm

Don't the newer Grand Prixs have yellow fogs? I'm pretty sure they are legal. I know I plan on getting yellow fogs.
jol102001

Post Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:26 pm

anything oem is legal,... but if you do it aftermarket... its illegal... thats crap.
Judas

Post Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:31 pm

Lol lets clear some things up:

Yellow fogs Yes! very common actually... but im talking about HEADLIGHTS

"anything oem is legal,... but if you do it aftermarket... its illegal... thats crap."
Not true, atleast here in wisconsin and most places I know of, if you do aftermarket and its DOT apporved housing and bulb its legal, although some bulbs have dot approval and arent street legal.
jol102001

Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:19 pm

Judas wrote:
although some bulbs have dot approval and arent street legal.

thats what i'm saying..... CRAP
Judas

Post Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:32 pm

^ its complicated though and varies greatly from area to area. Some of it is how "tastefully" its done. If you buy a nice quality H4 conversion and use a standard H4 bulb a cops not gunna give a crap even though its aftermarket [even if he actually knows its not oem].

What I hate is there are no defined rules really and it gives the cop too much power.

A cop around here sees a car with modified anything and suddenly they seem to target you since you must be a street racer and your car must be illegal since its different.

I hate that, im pushing my car to be legal yet Im going to customize it.
jol102001

Post Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:03 pm

Judas wrote:
^ its complicated though and varies greatly from area to area. Some of it is how "tastefully" its done. If you buy a nice quality H4 conversion and use a standard H4 bulb a cops not gunna give a crap even though its aftermarket [even if he actually knows its not oem].

What I hate is there are no defined rules really and it gives the cop too much power.

A cop around here sees a car with modified anything and suddenly they seem to target you since you must be a street racer and your car must be illegal since its different.

I hate that, im pushing my car to be legal yet Im going to customize it.

i'm not saying you'll be pulled over for the lights.... i'm just saying their more then likely illegal and if he was being a jerk he could give you a ticket for it.
my_hidden_romance

Post Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:38 pm

hrmm i have a friend with a ford probe he has a bright azz yellow headlight...its really kewl...but hes really in to cars and made his headlights by himself soo hes got regular white bulbs too...he just swaps them...soo in pa...i think its illegal if u take it out of the stock light...i know my friend has a crome covering over his tails...yes his tails..and the cops said it was illegal in 50 states because it was *euro*
Judas

Post Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:43 pm

Im considering fiberglassing my own flush mount headlights with 2 projectors on each side. Have 1 be high and lows and 1 be yellow light.

Ahg I have too many projects going on at once lol.
my_hidden_romance

Post Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:47 pm

thats what he did..they are sweet....maybe if i see him i will get pics..!
ProjectRAGE

Post Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:01 pm

Yea get pics if possible, its a interesting thought but I dont think it would look good when done. Unless taking very good amount of time...
Judas

Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:27 pm

Well I did my H4 Conversion and have Li tech gold bulbs in. I like the results. I upgraded my low beam from a 35 volt to a 55volt which is much nicer. I think my high beam is aimed high with my new housing and I might need auxilaary lights to cover the lower area.

When looking at the light its a yellow color, and from some views you pick up a bit of purple.
Ryan88

Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:12 pm

pics!!!
hometheaterman

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:36 am

A friend had a set of Eurodesignz for 2 years or so first in his chevy then in his honda and said he never got pulled over for them and they were pretty bright and yellow. He did get pulled over when one finally burnt out but he said they didn't say anything about the color and just told him one was burnt out and gave him a warning.
GoldenRod

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:04 am

One of my older cars had yellow headlights, but then I got a new alternator, and they were white again.... icon_biggrin.gif

Yellow is not as bright as white, so cops might just think you have old headlights.
GlowinPontiac

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:48 am

i see yellowish foglights all the time so i dont think youll have any prob.
old post btw!
02BlueStang

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:51 pm

the yellow headlights and foglights are illegal FYI to everyone....

The foglights that people use are usually PIAA etc and for offroad use only, the only reason people do not get stopped is because of the officers choice not to take up his time with a ticket or warning for having the lights...besides its an equipment violation not a moving violation....

The bulbs you see on the Lexus IS300 for example are yellow, but have been approved by the DOT for legal safe use on Lexus models only...

if you run aftermarket lights that are yellow on a car etc, most likely you wont get stopped, but if you do you could be ticketed for them...
GlowinPontiac

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:43 pm

so why is it that on certain lexus models they can have yellow lights but not on others? do they have special housings or something?
jethawk

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:48 pm

theres nothing that special about them... i have them on my car... their simply yellow projector foglights.... but since they came on the car from the factory stock and met DOT requirements their deemed street legal for that vehicle...
katman

Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:06 am

I quote a reply from above:

"Judas

1988 Toyota MR2
Last updated: 01/19/06

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:27 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I did my H4 Conversion and have Li tech gold bulbs in. I like the results. I upgraded my low beam from a 35 volt to a 55volt which is much nicer. I think my high beam is aimed high with my new housing and I might need auxilaary lights to cover the lower area.

When looking at the light its a yellow color, and from some views you pick up a bit of purple."

My reply:

You are using the term, volts where you should use, WATTS. DOT requires headlights of 55/60 watts. There is some regulation SOMEWHERE (I've been looking but can't find it !) that has info on yellow or white headlights. I was stopped on my Honda Scooter last night about my yellow headlights. They really work well here in Pittsburgh's famous drizzle. The cop was being a bit testy. I told him I like the fact that people really notice the scooter on the road and there is much less glare from the yellow. He said he'd check on legality of them and I told him I'd look also. Told him I would switch to white if that's the law.

I'm going to a scooter rally tonight for three days in, Cincinnatti. Supposed to be a lot of rain so I'm leaving the yellow H4s in for the trip. Will take along white ones should I get stopped on the road.

In reasearching the subject found some interesting articles on motorcycle safety and lighting. Seems Daylight Running Lights (DRLs) work more effectively than headlights for reducing fatalities. They suggested Brighter than normal turnsignals that stay on constantly and get interuptted when the turnsignal is engaged. They also suggested, wisely that they be of two wattages so at night they could be less bright.
Ryan88

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:27 pm

Where from Pittsburgh are you from? ^
katman

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:54 am

Ryan88 wrote:
Where from Pittsburgh are you from? ^

I live in the South Side. A cop was hassling me for the yellow bulbs. Found out is Legal to run just fog lamps in the rain and fog, WITHOUT the low beams BUT only in fog or rain. Otherwise the fog lights must be OFF.

I'm adding a third motorcycle headlamp to use as my main light It will replace my existing single driving lamp and will have it on all the time.

Most cops don't give a damn about yellow headlamps. I'll run the yellow ones on low beams all the time. They make great position "marker" lights. Might go with 35 watt instead of the 55/60 watt so they don't blind other drivers. The main headlight will be the 55/60 watt.

I haven't figured how to add photos to this forum, can you advise me? My jpeg files are to high for the avatar upload. Most are about 100 kb.
The time now is Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:44 pm
Page 1 of 1