Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

silver star headlights = any good

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:25 am

well i was lookin in advance auto parts yesterday and i was looking at the headlights and the most expensive ones they had were the silver star ones they were like 36 bucks they look nice anyone have them. any info appriciated thanks alot guys

some info i would like
1. What color
2. How are they at night
3. how are they in the rain
4. how long do they last

any thing else would be great thanks

and HIDs are out of the question too expensive for me

Last edited by kornholio788 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total
02BlueStang

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:36 am

I run them in my foglights....they are white...no blue tint etc...if you want blue tint go with PIAA

9005 Silvania Silverstar headlight bulbs:

pontiac4evr_14

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:56 am

I have them too they light up more of the road than the plasmaglows but they arnt quite as white as the plasmaglows.
kornholio788

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:28 pm

any one else thanks for the info u two
nykid44

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:40 pm

Yo! I've heard of them, truth be told, my buddy opted for them, in the same car as me, my run of the mill blue bulbs shined just as bright as his silver stars. I don't see any difference. In my xB pics, in my gallery, they are turned on my bulbs are a lttile darker blue than his. I feel that for the extra $$$ it's not worth it. Those bulbs have the tendency of running very hot, and in some cases even burn out your bulb plug wire harnest (That happened to me with the fog lights.) Not to mention they burn out sometimes pretty quickly.
josh9015

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:01 pm

I got the silverstars from discount auto parts and they came with a rebate. I like them a lot more than my factory ones. These light up the road more.
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:20 pm

Silvania gives a life expectancy of 1 year on silver stars. some experience more, some have less. I belive it has a lot to do with how the housing is designed to rake vibration.
02BlueStang

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:32 pm

Ive had one bulb fry out on me and I only run them in fog lights....I also had a defective bulb the first time....on the left side it is still my first bulb....on the right side my 3rd....

They light up the road a lot more than stock....still look like standard hologen yellowish though...

mine work ok in rain, def not comparable to HID but with them in my foglights it is a little brighter on the road....not sure how well they would do in rain in the headlights though...I personally would probably run PIAA in my headlights if I had the option to choose
chicagosfinest

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:05 pm

Silverstars should come with a life time warenty, I've even had one of mine replaced because it went out..

As for frying harnesses.. it's a matter of wattage.. Scions in particular have had a series of problems with Luminic's however I haven't heard of a problem with Silverstars.. I'm not going to say they're the brightest or best bulb because I have nothing to compare them to.. but I will say that they have a nice white light and are good an bright.
kornholio788

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:48 pm

well i looks light i am getting them tomarro hopefully they last
justin

Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:00 pm

i hated my silverstars in the rain... and they lasted right on about a year.

BS to nykid about these running hotter than normal bulbs. they are the same wattage and are perfectly safe to use. its the cheap0 blue colored ebay bulbs that run higher wattage, and put a strain on stock wiring.

i havent found a set of bulbs i like :\
nykid44

Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:19 pm

justin wrote:
i hated my silverstars in the rain... and they lasted right on about a year.

BS to nykid about these running hotter than normal bulbs. they are the same wattage and are perfectly safe to use. its the cheap0 blue colored ebay bulbs that run higher wattage, and put a strain on stock wiring.

i havent found a set of bulbs i like :\

BS TO KID, LOL I have a $425.00 bill from the Scion Dealer I can scan for you and post right here if you like, for 2 wire harness for my factory fog lights to be replaced. The dealer said the bulbs I used voided my warranty, because they run hotter than the factory bulbs and fried they harness. I still use them, I will get you the name of the ones I use, my buddy is the one with the silver star's he likes mine more they are brighter, but he is scared to fry his harness, but his have gone out about 2 times in under a year. I know if I fry my harness again, Iím going to a different dealer, and putting back in the factory bulb, so they will cover it :-)
jethawk

Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:55 pm

silverstars run at the same wattage as stock bulbs... read the package... unless you got some factory freak bulbs.... then they shouldnt ruin your harnesses at all.....
02BlueStang

Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:59 pm

if you ran them in your foglights then it was your fault for ruining the wiring in your scion....

Fog lights run LOWER than headlight bulbs....around 35W....silverstars run around 65W-75W I believe....which is the same as a stock halogen bulb +10W or so....if you ran them in your fog lights Nykid then that is why you fried your stock wiring....

I only run them in my foglights because 1) I have aftermarket fog lights with a glass housing which will not melt like plastic ones and 2) I run a completely seperate wiring harness for them with an upgraded fuse since they are aftermarket I didnt have the stock wiring there to begin with.....
justin

Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:53 pm

yeah i dont get it dude you just totally proved yourself wrong?
nykid44

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:25 am

justin wrote:
yeah i dont get it dude you just totally proved yourself wrong?

How so? I run them in both headlights & foglights, I fried the fog lights, but the headlamps, the bulbs died like 3 months after the install, (NO I DID NOT TOUCH THE BLUE OF THE BULB) then I installed a fresh set head lamps & fog lamps fried the wires on the fog lamps, got new ones, I've had no problems since. I use bulbs intended for Xenon/HID's not the Silver Star, & I could not ride with really bright bulbs on the head lamps & those dim yellowy fog lights, "SUFFER FOR BEAUTY" it's like when women go wax thier upper lips & eye brows, or a guy waxes his back, there could be a price to pay, for the look you want, or for being vain.
02BlueStang

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:44 am

are you sure you have Silverstars NyKid....you said you "didnt touch the blue on the bulb"...silverstars do not have any kind of color coating on them? Their corner bulbs do but not the headlight bulbs, the Silverstars should have been completely glass and clear?
ProjectRAGE

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:18 am

so (offtopic) piaa has blue tint?

i seen this car with amazingly blue tinted bulbs, he bought them somewhere, no they werent projections or anything, normal bulbs but cant find any, my streetglow ones are blue, but this was a badass blue, trying to find them but cant, i dont like white lights..i cant get off of the blue tinted lights, there badass
nykid44

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:40 pm

02BlueStang wrote:
are you sure you have Silverstars NyKid....you said you "didnt touch the blue on the bulb"...silverstars do not have any kind of color coating on them? Their corner bulbs do but not the headlight bulbs, the Silverstars should have been completely glass and clear?

No Stang, I don't have them, I mentioned a buddy of mines them in his xB, I fried mines with some other blue bulbs I looked for the PKG to get the name, but a fridge full of Killians Irish Red, was screaming my name @ me so I had to stop the search party. I know I have them because my factory ones are in that case, I hope I find them soon before this thread gets as bald as a racing slick. Anyways I know my bulbs run hot, I dont know the specs on the silver stars, i did not read the PKG for them, I based my answers on my buddy's feedback, and him, his chick, my girl & I all agree, that my bulbs are brighter, and look nicer turned on or off than his. Will take night pic of my lights.
02BlueStang

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:44 pm

good stuff....I have the silverstars and would have to agree that something different for a headlight bulb would be better....personally the Silverstars just dont give off that nice light blue color to match my HIDs and what not...but they are brighter than stock bulbs...again I would go PIAA if you want a nice looking bulb...but of course you have to spend the extra money...
jethawk

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:01 pm

your going to suffer an output loss of lumens if you run a coated bulb... so to take up for that loss most companies will run them at a higher wattage... so becareful of that... and run a relay upgrade if your going to be running overwattage blue bulbs...
justin

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:55 am

right. the blue coating doesnt make the light blue, it takes away the yellow color in the light. if the blue coating is too heavy, it masks the light, thus creating the need for a higher wattage.
MongolPup

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:47 pm

I like my silverstars (lows and highs). They light the road much better then my stock, i.e. they makes street signs light up from farther in the distance.

I recommend.
02BlueStang

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:13 pm

anyone who is reading this and thinking about getting some lights from Sylvania....dont just put them in the backseat because of what I have said in this thread as my disliking of the bulbs as headlights is Bias in the fact that I have HID headlights which in no way can compare to halogen bulbs...kinda like Apples and Oranges...

They are DEF a VERY BRIGHT HALOGEN BULB
Cerwin Vega Fan

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:20 pm

I have silverstars in the in my fog lights and head lights. Their much brighter then my stock bulbs but I'm still consider changing. They are bright their is no doubt about that but they look like plain head lights to me.
nykid44

Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:47 pm

The brand of bulbs that fried my plugs were APC you can see them at this link they are not coated, they are just tinted a lil darker blue than the silver stars. I like the APC's in my xB they are brighter than in my friends xB w/ silver star. they are cheaper than the silver stars but they could fry your wires
GlowinPontiac

Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:17 pm

in my experience almost everything made by APC is utter garbage. there colored bulbs are never the right color and the coating comes off leaving you with a clear bulb and there air filters use **** glue to hold them together and they fall apart within weeks.
MongolPup

Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:15 pm

APC stickers give you extra horsepower. The bigger, the better.
GlowinPontiac

Post Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:31 pm

^ icon_cool.gif biglaugh.gif biglaugh.gif
Losing quickly

Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:30 am

only APC thing I have is my corner lenses and they work just fine
MrJayDeeOne

Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:41 pm

I used to have Hiper brand bulbs in my car and my sisters and I melted the headlight harnesses in both cars icon_rolleyes.gif , the bulbs were 125/135watt, now they were bright. I also had 55 or 85 watt I don't remember which in my fog lights and I made the plastic lense bubble out. I ended up just replacing the harnesses for the headlights and used a thicker guage wire. I am not personally a fan of the silverstars. I currently have XD5 brand bulbs in my car. I am pretty sure that's the brand, I got them off EBAY and pretty cheap too, I went off of how they looked on a friends car. Here's how they look
just the low beams on

a friend of mine wired my highs and lows together so the lows don't shut off when the highs go on and this is how they look below
Xplorer8

Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:17 pm

GlowinPontiac wrote:
in my experience almost everything made by APC is utter garbage. there colored bulbs are never the right color and the coating comes off leaving you with a clear bulb and there air filters use **** glue to hold them together and they fall apart within weeks.

agreed. APC bulbs run at a higher wattage then stock bulbs. Ive seen apc bulbs run at 95/100 watts. I believe that the silverstars run 55 watts. I have had 9004 silverstars in my X for the last 4 years, and havent has a single problem with them. Yes, as bluestang said, they dont compare to hids, but thats a given, since these are xenons.

If your looking for a blue tinted light, silverstars arent what u want. Are they reliable, white, and bright....yes
nykid44

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:46 am

well i like the APC bulbs in my xB, the color is fine, no color fade yet, only one burned out right after i put them in, the replacements have been in for over a year, and the fog lights are running fine since the dealer repair, using the very same bulbs they said not to use, also APC's. May-June will be one year of that repair.
ProjectRAGE

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:56 am

Cerwin Vega Fan wrote:
Their much brighter then my stock bulbs but I'm still consider changing. They are bright their is no doubt about that but they look like plain head lights to me.

I agree.
justinwebb

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:36 am

go HID's icon_biggrin.gif
The time now is Sun May 20, 2018 9:44 pm
Page 1 of 1